Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BraveFig
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jan 2023, 11:39 pm

Well, just like the title says, I'm an aspiring musician, hehe!! :lol: :P Ik there must be at least quite a few of us autistic musicians out there, given how many famous autistic musicians I already know of, so because of that, I want to ask everyone else here a couple of questions!! :o Who else on here is a musician?? And where are you on your musical journey, so far?? :D :)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 12:26 am

Cool, what sort of music do you play?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

BraveFig
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2023, 12:32 am

funeralxempire wrote:

Well, I practice playing guitar, I used to play around on the keyboard quite a bit, I like singing and I want to learn how to make electronic music, too. :o :) Rock music's basically my favorite genre outside of electronic music, which is what inspired me to get more serious about learning guitar!! :D Currently, I'm in something of a creative slump, but this is mainly due to my overwhelming anxiety about making it as a musician, more than anything... :(

Last edited by BraveFig on 24 Jan 2023, 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 12:36 am

BraveFig wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Well, I practice playing guitar, I used to play around on the keyboard quite a bit, I like singing and I want to learn how to make electronic music, too. :o :)

I play guitar too, but not very well. I can do harsh vocals and rap decently and I'm an adequate singer.

Have you ever tried writing/recording songs before?

I'm in the middle of putting together some grindcore songs. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

BraveFig
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2023, 12:47 am

funeralxempire wrote:
BraveFig wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Well, I practice playing guitar, I used to play around on the keyboard quite a bit, I like singing and I want to learn how to make electronic music, too. :o :)

I play guitar too, but not very well. I can do harsh vocals and rap decently and I'm an adequate singer.

Have you ever tried writing/recording songs before?

I'm in the middle of putting together some grindcore songs. :nerdy:
It's interesting that you mention rap, 'cause my interest in hip hop and pop has grown quite a bit, recently. Dj-ing, rapping and hip hop beatmaking are three other areas that I've become very interested in!! :o :D I haven't written anything yet, (mainly due to writers block, lol!! :lol: :oops: :P) but I have recorded a few things, mainly experiments on this basic DAW I was given as a Christmas gift a few years back, by my parents! :) Other than that, I have Audacity, and also a ukulele I got from a vacation to Hawaii, which is pretty fun to just pick up and strum, once in a while!! :rabbit: :mrgreen:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 1:14 am

BraveFig wrote:
It's interesting that you mention rap, 'cause my interest in hip hop and pop has grown quite a bit, recently. Dj-ing, rapping and hip hop beatmaking are three other areas that I've become very interested in!! :o :D I haven't written anything yet, (mainly due to writers block, lol!! :lol: :oops: :P) but I have recorded a few things, mainly experiments on this basic DAW I was given as a Christmas gift a few years back, by my parents! :) Other than that, I have Audacity, and also a ukulele I got from a vacation to Hawaii, which is pretty fun to just pick up and strum, once in a while!! :rabbit: :mrgreen:

I've got Audacity and FL Studio.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

BraveFig
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2023, 1:20 am

funeralxempire wrote:
BraveFig wrote:

Woah, I've always wanted to use FL Studio!! :o What's it like to use, as a DAW?? :D :)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 1:28 am

BraveFig wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
BraveFig wrote:

Woah, I've always wanted to use FL Studio!! :o What's it like to use, as a DAW?? :D :)

I'm only at the very beginning of my learning curve. I used it a lot when it was called Fruity Loops back in high school but I was pretty basic in terms of skills. Now I'm starting over from basically zero.

It seems very powerful and it's good for stuff where you might worry about aliasing (like say, if you pitchshift stuff).

Most stuff I do in Audacity, although I did put together a mix of one song in FL Studio recently. I think I'll be working like that from now on.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

BraveFig
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2023, 1:35 am

funeralxempire wrote:
BraveFig wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
BraveFig wrote:

I'm only at the very beginning of my learning curve. I used it a lot when it was called Fruity Loops back in high school but I was pretty basic in terms of skills. Now I'm starting over from basically zero.

It seems very powerful and it's good for stuff where you might worry about aliasing (like say, if you pitchshift stuff).

Most stuff I do in Audacity, although I did put together a mix of one song in FL Studio recently. I think I'll be working like that from now on.
Wait, so if you're still a novice at FL Studio, how long of a break did you take from it?? :o It always surprises me how useful Audacity really is!! :D :)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 1:37 am

BraveFig wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
BraveFig wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
BraveFig wrote:

Wait, so if you're still a novice at FL Studio, how long of a break did you take from it?? :o It always surprises me how useful Audacity really is!! :D :)

About a decade. :oops:

I've heard good things about Reaper, and it's free. If I was starting over again I'd probably have picked Reaper.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 1:54 am

I do music.

Violin and piano as a kid. Been playing drums for 25 years, practicing vocals for most of my life. Self-learning guitar and bass. Picked up a viola for fun since I knew violin.

Music-making setup consists of:

Alesis electronic drum kit
Akai Professional MPK Mini keyboard
Akai Professional MPD 218 midi pad
Korg Kaossilator synthesizer / loop station
Korg Kaos Pad sampling station
Behringer 4 channel USB audio interface / mixer
MixCraft Pro 9 with Melodyne
Couple of mics for vocals
Cheap Ibanez guitar and bass

Been busy with school till recently, got a dozen or so half written songs and half formed compositions. Hoping to start back in with music making again now that I'm done with school.

BraveFig
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2023, 11:22 am

funeralxempire wrote:

I've heard good things about Reaper, and it's free. If I was starting over again I'd probably have picked Reaper.

Hey, nothing wrong with switching if the new DAW works better for you!! :o :D As for me, I drifted away from music for many years of my life, and didn't seriously get back into it until my mom introduced me to magix music maker in late 2018 which, while basic, definitely did the job of getting me back into music big time, as at that point, I hadn't seriously dabbled in any music software since 2011, back when I was 12 years old. :) :oops:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 2:20 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:
I do music.

Violin and piano as a kid. Been playing drums for 25 years, practicing vocals for most of my life. Self-learning guitar and bass. Picked up a viola for fun since I knew violin.

Been busy with school till recently, got a dozen or so half written songs and half formed compositions. Hoping to start back in with music making again now that I'm done with school.

What models of guitar and bass? Ibanez has really good stuff, even at lower price points.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 2:21 pm

BraveFig wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Hey, nothing wrong with switching if the new DAW works better for you!! :o :D As for me, I drifted away from music for many years of my life, and didn't seriously get back into it until my mom introduced me to magix music maker in late 2018 which, while basic, definitely did the job of getting me back into music big time, as at that point, I hadn't seriously dabbled in any music software since 2011, back when I was 12 years old. :) :oops:

I made an industrial album when I was in high school, but then got into making punk.
I burned out on making music in my 20s though and only got back into it seriously as I started reorganizing my life a few years back.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

BraveFig
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2023, 2:38 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
uncommondenominator wrote:
I do music.

What models of guitar and bass? Ibanez has really good stuff, even at lower price points.
As for me, I have a Fender Stratocaster, but I'd love to learn more about what other people use, too!! ! :o :D :)

BraveFig
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2023, 2:42 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
BraveFig wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I made an industrial album when I was in high school, but then got into making punk.
I burned out on making music in my 20s though and only got back into it seriously as I started reorganizing my life a few years back.
What burned you out, tho?? And how'd reorganizing your life help you get into music again?? :o Admittedly, my own interests drifted away from making music during my adolescence, but at least listening to music has always stayed close to me, tho!! :D :)