Does having the flashy cars and stuff make you a man ?

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 10:28 am

I say that because I seem to think that since the talk surrounding people like Andrew Tate has gone on, I feel as though it just reinforces the idea in boys and young men to aspire to someone a bit like what you see in some music videos where a guy is driving a long in a flashy car, showing off his bling and attracting the women as he goes past.

I don't know if I'd feel more happier or content if my car was a lot more flashy than the one of I've got right now. I recently bought a new google mobile which looks fancy and I feel happy with it but I don't think its made me feel more of a man than when I had my old one.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Jan 2023, 10:37 am

Lol.
You know the stereotype about guys with big cars?

Of course, it's just a stupid stereotype - but if someone is obsessed with big flashy gadgets and ultra-macho self-presentation, chances for that person to turn out compensating for something are considerable.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 10:43 am

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 10:50 am

In my experience, men with flashy cars are sleazy.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 2:29 pm

I've never had any interest in "flashy cars" or guys who had them.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 2:53 pm

I don't get how a flashy car would make one appear like more of a man.
Especially when in some levels it kinda brings up yuppie tropes, which weren't exactly hyper-masculine.

I can understand how a clapped out hot-rod with no interior, no comfort features and no muffler might (because macho for some means being uncomfortable and just sucking it up) but how does buying a fancy bobble make one feel manly?

They didn't do the work themselves, so they're not showing off what a handy man they are.
They didn't engineer it, so they're not showing off their intellect.
And if they don't make any external modifications, they're not even showing off their unique aesthetic taste.

I figured the whole point of flashy and/or performance cars is more masturbatory. I know when I drive a loud car I'm not concerned in the slightest with if people like it or hate it or fail to notice it, but nothing puts a smile on my face quicker than letting the throttle close and hearing it go POP-POP-POP or dropping to 2nd or 3rd in a tunnel and hearing all the reverberations.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 3:35 pm

I’d be embarrassed to ride in a flashy car or have my partner drive one. I’d feel like a superficial idiot and I wouldn’t want people staring at us.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 7:39 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I’d be embarrassed to ride in a flashy car or have my partner drive one. I’d feel like a superficial idiot and I wouldn’t want people staring at us.

I'd just remove the badges. A base-level BMW or Mercedes isn't that flashy, and without a badge telling everyone it's an M3 or a AMG or whatever, suddenly it's just another boring sedan (or crossover :eew: )

Brands like that are more popular than they once were, but also cars look less distinct from each other than they once did.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 7:46 pm

magz wrote:
Lol.
You know the stereotype about guys with big cars?

Of course, it's just a stupid stereotype - but if someone is obsessed with big flashy gadgets and ultra-macho self-presentation, chances for that person to turn out compensating for something are considerable.

Down here, pickup trucks and guns are the big compensation items.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 8:17 pm

Ugghhh--god, no!!

Having a well-made vehicle (that suits your actual needs and doesn't send you into debt) is one thing, but loud, flashy, bling-y cars and accessories are some of the most off-putting things around. It comes across as desperate, needy, and juvenile. Obnoxiousness is not manly.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 8:29 pm

KimD wrote:
Ugghhh--god, no!!

Having a well-made vehicle (that suits your actual needs and doesn't send you into debt) is one thing, but loud, flashy, bling-y cars and accessories are some of the most off-putting things around. It comes across as desperate, needy, and juvenile. Obnoxiousness is not manly.

Exactly.

There was already a thread on this topic somewhere else. I remember saying this ^, and that all I care is whether the car is clean and roadworthy / safe. Use snow tires. Get oil changes. Replace your brake pads. In terms of aesthetics, if I had a choice, it wouldn't be white or a bright colour, and it would smell good inside. I don't mean fake air fragrance things because those make me sick. I mean, keep it clean enough that it's not stinky or sticky. A good stereo system would be nice but I don't mean it has to be loud with mega bass. I mean I like nice clear sound.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 8:43 pm

A homeless man with literally nothing but the clothes on his back, who still takes the time to be polite, respectful, and helpful, is a thousand times more of a man than a guy who has a billion dollars and a hundred trucks, but treats other people like crap.

"Stuff" does not make someone a "man". Character does.

Not every guy who likes big trucks (or flashy cars) is trying to compensate for a tiny "peterbuilt", but the ones who prop up their entire identity with them are usually trying to cover up some type of insecurity.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 9:23 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:
A homeless man with literally nothing but the clothes on his back, who still takes the time to be polite, respectful, and helpful, is a thousand times more of a man than a guy who has a billion dollars and a hundred trucks, but treats other people like crap.

"Stuff" does not make someone a "man". Character does.

Not every guy who likes big trucks (or flashy cars) is trying to compensate for a tiny "peterbuilt", but the ones who prop up their entire identity with them are usually trying to cover up some type of insecurity.

Thank you Thank you Thank you

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 9:24 pm

Also:

Don't drink and drive
Don't drive high
Don't tailgate or speed
Don't treat your partner like they're potential roadkill.

Been there, refused that.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 9:31 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
speed

This one is really a question of road and traffic conditions. You shouldn't speed when there's traffic around, or in areas where line of sight is broken regularly. But you're not putting anyone at risk speeding when there's nothing around, so long as you're mindful of how much traction you've got and how much momentum you're carrying.

Quite often they're set based on more than just public safety concerns. At least in Ontario enforcement is practically nil, unless you're over by a substantial margin. This really strongly indicates that there's a general awareness they're lower than need be, but keeping them that way means there's a lot more people with cause to pull over at any given moment.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 9:43 pm

Good distinction. I'm a fast driver on highways and clock at about 130 most of the time if I can. That's only if the lane is open. I don't speed on residential streets or tailgate or do anything dangerous. I'm referring specifically of my ex, the one I'm still good friends with. When I had my stroke I wasn't allowed to drive so he would come get me and drive me to his / our house, four hours from my home. He was nearly always plastered / stoned out of his mind, or racing back because he wanted a beer and toke. He's ADHD and a very aggressive driver. He tailgated, swore so loudly my ears hurt, gave people the finger with his window rolled down, and drove in a vindictive way. If he thought someone cut him off, he'd cut them off on purpose.

He did have a very sexy car (I have to admit I liked it, and it was black so it didn't look flashy), but after experiencing this and putting my life as well as my dog's life in danger I said I'd never go in his car again. Oh, and there was the time I almost got busted as a drug trafficker because they pulled him over for bad driving, searched the car because it smelled like pot, and found one of my mother's back pain pills in my bag. I would have gone to jail because he was a stoner.

Lovely.