Teen MS-13 member charged with strangling autistic woman

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 1:44 pm

LOCAL NEWS Teen MS-13 member charged with strangling autistic woman to death in Aberdeen, police say

Quote:
BALTIMORE -- A 17-year-old boy believed to be a member of the international gang MS-13 is accused of strangling a 20-year-old woman to death in Aberdeen last summer, police said.

The suspect, who police say is an undocumented non-citizen from El Salvador, was tied to the death of Kayla Hamilton through DNA evidence. He was arrested in Edgewood early Sunday morning and is charged with first-degree murder.

The suspect is also facing rape, robbery, and other charges.

Hamilton's family told detectives she was autistic and recently moved to Aberdeen with her 22-year-old boyfriend, police said.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore determined her death to be a homicide by strangulation.

Tammy Nobles, Hamilton's mother, said she hasn't been the same person since her daughter died.

"I'm her mother, I'm supposed to be there to protect her, but you can't protect your kids when they're adults," Nobles said. "But, I just feel responsible. I was supposed to keep her safe."

Lt. C. William Reiber said Hamilton's death impacted investigators, working around the clock to help bring the family closure.

I'm surprised the story even mentions she's autistic. The mother describes her personality but doesn't say anything about her autism. I am glad the person-first language is not used though.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 11:20 pm

It is hard for me to know whether to post a story like this because it is hard to know if the victim was attacked because her autistic traits made her seem like a easy target or she was a female in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 3:19 pm

regardless of cause or motivation nobody deserves to die like that. If she was "in the wrong place" does that mean she deserved that? No matter where or what time of day, nobody deserves to be murdered.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 5:10 pm

autisticelders wrote:
regardless of cause or motivation nobody deserves to die like that. If she was "in the wrong place" does that mean she deserved that? No matter where or what time of day, nobody deserves to be murdered.

Of course, but if I post every time an autistic person is murdered it would 1. depress people who are fragile about their autism 2. Like with the mass shootings stories it will desensitize people.

If I go by who cares about motive, why should it be limited to autistic people?

That is my conundrum I want to maintain awareness that autistics are particularly vulnerable without numbing people, or having give up.

If you want to post every time an autistic is murdered I am not going to report it, just like I did not report Carl.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 6:47 am

your choice, completely ( PS I do appreciate your posts )

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2023, 1:14 pm

This is extremely disturbing, as I've seen a whole host of news articles over the last 10 years or more of autistic people being murdered..