Natl. Handwriting Day 1/23 - On cursive writing

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 6:03 pm

CBS News Story, 'The Lost Art of Writing in Cursive' - 3 minute 30 second clip. The 1min, 55sec. to 2min, 05sec. part of clip is quite interesting, and beneficial in value. (LINK)

Does anybody draw parallels of cursive handwriting to old-school writing in corresponding to penpals?

LINK: https://www.cbsnews.com/video/the-lost- ... n-cursive/

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 6:24 pm

I abandoned using cursive pretty much as soon as they were done teaching it. :|

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 7:22 pm

LiverpoolAspergian wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

How so? I find joined writing to be rather elegant.

I have no use for it and at that age it was a matter of 'everything worth reading is written in print'.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2023, 4:25 am

I got roundly criticized and punished by my parents for having horrible handwriting (it was gorse than an MD). It’s part of the reason I bought a computer.

Remember, dysgraphia and autism can be intertwined.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 4:49 am

Cursive is nice and elegant.….when it is possible for a person to write cursive elegantly.

My cursive is indecipherable….so I use block letters.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 4:51 am

I've been doing a lot of cursive writing lately...

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 4:53 am

MuddRM wrote:
I got roundly criticized and punished by my parents for having horrible handwriting (it was gorse than an MD).

Yep. I still hear about it to this day.

Of course my parents don't know or understand autism.

And So It Goes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 5:01 am

funeralxempire wrote:

Exactly this for me.

Even whilst at school, I found it easier to adopt a neat blockier way of writing, simply because I'd prefer to be able to re-read what I've wrote, which in turn helps me properly process things.

I'd seen another child's handwriting on a noticeboard on their work, when I was about 7-8, and aspired to copy that. 2 decades on, and it's still more or less the same.

I'd often get chides about it by teachers (especially with the letter 'k'), but I simply wouldn't care. This was even before I properly knew about my Autism, so - back then - I was still trying to adapt and find ways to make life easier for me, even if I didn't know why at the time.

In Secondary School, I was either told by my peers that my handwriting was "Neat...for a boy's", or simply "You write like a girl". Because, well...this was the 2000's after all. 8O

My kid has to use cursive writing at school. but I find they don't carry this on whilst at home. My approach is simply "If it's neat, and I can read it, why does it matter that every letter doesn't join up?"

"And I've embraced the calamity, with a detachment and a passive disinterest."

"I hear voices...But I ignore them and just carry on killing."