I suppose even-ish isn't the end of the world.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 6:59 pm

Logged into an investment account for the first time in 5+ years to have a look at what I'd avoided looking at. Figured it was worthless - yeah, pretty much. One main stock I held has been delisted.

In the grand scheme of the history of the account, according to records within it, it seems I withdrew a bit more money than I ever put in. So, overall I took my money back out and spent it years ago - just never sold high and cashed in on gains in the moments some investments had shot up. Otherwise I'd have profited quite nicely.

At least being a TFSA and having withdrawn about 10% more than I ever deposited, I've retained the contribution limits should I decide to move some money in there again. If I hadn't withdrawn funds and investments went to zero, I'd have also lost that amount of contribution limits along with it. So, in the very long run that's a good thing.

Ofc it's still irritating that I made the errors I made and approximately broke even or so vs. made a bunch of money. Can't change the past, though, I suppose.

I do wonder if one of the local companies I had invested in just seriously made mistakes and couldn't operate and got delisted, or if their "mistakes," were their business plan all along and it was a pump & dump scam from the get-go. I'll never know for sure. I mean, they had real assets, real investors - one a local property developer I met in person - real business deals in place with well known American companies etc. IF their entire operation was a scam, they were good at it. But maybe they just made mistakes and after the initial hype in their industry things got exponentially more difficult and they simply didn't succeed.

Whatever. The.. let's say, ptsd trigger event that led me to completely ignore things like this account for 5 years or so has now run it's course I guess so moving forward I think I'll start paying attention to some investment opportunities again, make different decisions etc vs. repeat the same mistakes.. whether too many eggs in too few baskets Or too short term time horizon thinking.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 7:14 pm

Things always worked out such that it was never the right time to start for me. So I don't have such. Then again, buying my home was probably a good investment.

Prolly not the right time to start right now either.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 8:29 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
Things always worked out such that it was never the right time to start for me. So I don't have such. Then again, buying my home was probably a good investment.

Prolly not the right time to start right now either.

Technically I could buy A home somewhere in the region if it were my goal, but it's a horrendously poor value even at the lower end of the real estate pricing game here + for what I could maybe qualify for in a mortgage I'd have to buy an old condo in an area/city I wouldn't want to own and live in.. so, maybe I'll never own and that's Okay, too.

Several of the stocks I was in short term and made money, if I had simply held them I'd be way up vs. selling after small increases. Live and learn - time horizons of 5+ years or longer vs. a handful of months and the business things corporations are doing Today will pay off a lot more in the long run than just the next quarterly earnings report kind of thing.

I'm 40 years old now.. not gonna live forever - but - if I have the longevity of my mom's side of the family I might still have 55 years left, and considering more than 50% of my life to date was as a "kid," with no money, I still have MOSTof my wealth building years ahead of me still + a bit of experience and wisdom to build on and make decisions with. Live and learn, as they say.