Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 1:34 pm

https://www.newmarkettoday.ca/local-new ... th-6422322

Whoa.

But I get it - the hopelessness. I have several homeless friends and through them and others I've met I Get how difficult things can be and how low people can feel. MAID is the new variable in this story.

It's also "nice," that he's highlighted the shift in who the homeless population is. Same on the West Coast - plenty of working class people, families, seniors etc - not all the traditional addicts/mentally ill. Government and societal systems are failing more and more people than ever. He's not wrong - something is wrong with our government.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 1:51 pm

This is just so sad of a story ......and general opinion of Life in Canada in the lower 48 , is/ was just so much better.
No other reason than less violence , but death by neglect ...casts quite a bit if a different opinion of life based on conditions there .....

where ever you go ,there you are

PenPen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jan 2023, 1:59 pm

People usually ignore, if not belittle, the problems of the bottom of society. Now that the loser has a chance to put his life in his own hands, they will virtue signal how terrible this is, then after accumulating their status points, go back to doing nothing and less than nothing. If society can't help me, I at least want the option to help myself.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 2:05 pm

As the cost of living (housing food energy) spirals out of control across the country the bottom rung of the ladder of society keeps getting taller and encompassing a whole lot more people.

It's not that individuals can't and shouldn't do anything, but these are systemic failings. Our governments at all levels, bank of Canada etc are to blame for shaping things this way - not individuals.

Maybe someone with the means can hire or house someone else, but IMO we'd have greater success by collectively protesting our governments to get their heads out of their asses and do something about systemic problems.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 2:45 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
As the cost of living (housing food energy) spirals out of control across the country the bottom rung of the ladder of society keeps getting taller and encompassing a whole lot more people.

It's not that individuals can't and shouldn't do anything, but these are systemic failings. Our governments at all levels, bank of Canada etc are to blame for shaping things this way - not individuals.

Maybe someone with the means can hire or house someone else, but IMO we'd have greater success by collectively protesting our governments to get their heads out of their asses and do something about systemic problems.

Agrees.... thats dramatically true here in the USA also ....but we have huge part of recent generations that are doing the homeless thing as a life style choice . And often one could consider that they do not have options down here.
But i have seen a bunch of people from generation behind me. And ones that actually have gotten older, Living this life style . But am not sure if hopelessness doesn't play a part in this ? But often have seen people whom use some of the benefits they get only as it supports being homeless :cry: , Sometimes they have not developed the idea of intiative in their lives possibly .But have seen many right here simply play on the sympathies of anyone . Use that
as a method of gaining information on others to target/ prey other people. Fortunate or less fortunate than themselves. And this perpetuates their lifestyles , here it is about meth , herione and alchohol. It has seemed to me from observing and listening to these immediate folks that it is their basic concept of Freedom ! To do as they wish .
Perhaps they have felt it is societies obligation to them to go on living as they do . And this allows them to justify not having any social conciousness And without this idea. They might not consider how things maybe for their future older selves? :roll:
But there is still a basic failure of Governments to deal with these circumstances head on .And we the people need to Address changes in "leadership " here to attend to directly dealing with these issues. Creating circumstances perhaps were values in life are attainable to everyone.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 3:36 pm

Here’s $218 worth of groceries. The jugs are cat litter, then paper towels, 12 cans of soda, and three nearly empty bags of food for my sick daughter including cereal, bread, and one pack of meat in there somewhere.

GF You’re forgetting to add the cost of credit card payments or any debt repayment at all, childcare which clocks at about $1500 month minimum, car payments, and the biggest is medicine. My daughter’s meds are about $800/month but I pay $500 for insurance instead. Lots of people have chronic illness. SSRI alone can be hundreds per month.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 3:53 pm

At least I can still walk around in public without there being a mass shooting. So far.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 3:55 pm

^ Here we have one routine vet appointment for a 2 year old cat. That’s for a basic checkup, one vaccine, one 10 day prescription, and a five minute ultrasound to follow up on a previous health condition.

$1150 today for one cat. I get about 70% of it back in insurance but I also pay $70 month per cat for that insurance.

Anyone who thinks we have it good here has a screw loose. Please no hate for me having pets either. I think that’s the least bit of comfort I should want as a single mum.

Here below we have a 3kg bag of dry prescription cat food, and 24 small cans of wet prescription food. My cats share and this lasts about 3 weeks max for the cans, maybe 6 weeks for dry. I can only get it at the vet because it’s prescription.

Yes we’re good about gun control for the most part. I’ll give us that. Mind the knives though.

Is there some reason why my phone will NOT put photos where the cursor is????

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 4:54 pm

Money is not buying what it needs to Anymore, not that it did good before,? but People were able to afford to eat.
Try to hang in there Isabella .. :heart:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 5:16 pm

Thanks, Jakki.
May I hang upside down? :cry:

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 5:34 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 5:47 pm

This is our great new culture.

He who dies with the most toys wins, devil take the hindmost, and most 'winners' (at least those who wouldn't try extracting double-damage by virtue signaling that his 'life has value' when they're just using it - yet again - as a social climbing tool) would probably agree - they're them, he's not them, they'd probably want as many people as possible who aren't them to find some way to take themselves out and if anything ideally he's the start of a wonderful new trend of losers euthanizing themselves. Anyone anywhere in the rearview isn't a person, they're just pulsing meat that's needlessly consuming air and food.

I'd swear if this world were a school it would be a psychopath training academy.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 7:01 pm

I don’t know how it works in Canada, but here, the only way to get help quickly is if it is a crisis. When I was trying to help a now deceased WP member several services told me they couldn’t help him until he was nearly dead.

And I know it’s true in my state. I work in the system. I try to get help for people but it is a loooong drawn out process. Try to explain to the powers that be, wouldn’t it make more sense to provide help earlier ahead of the crisis? No comprehension.

Look at how Americans will raise millions of dollars for a crisis, but vote against services providing help to avoid a crisis.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 7:02 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
he's the start of a wonderful new trend of losers euthanizing themselves

I'm getting there.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 7:35 pm

So if in this thread , people can ... tell , whats , what ... why can't people in positions to help ,gov. types
get some understanding of these situations..... And address even basic stuff, in these issues ??.
Have heard since all these shootings are getting reported. There seems to be a effort to at least start to put forth ideas concerning mental illness .. But this is upside down thinking . Starting at the cause, instead of the resulting symptoms . Just Sad , i feel .

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 7:40 pm

Jakki wrote:
So if in this thread , people can ... tell , whats , what ... why can't people in positions to help ,gov. types
get some understanding of these situations..... And address even basic stuff, in these issues ??.
Have heard since all these shootings are getting reported. There seems to be a effort to at least start to put forth ideas concerning mental illness .. But this is upside down thinking . Starting at the cause, instead of the resulting symptoms . Just Sad , i feel .

It's worth looking at the financial controversies around homelessness programs in NYC and other places. The people who run them can live large off the proceeds (embezzlement) and the money barely hits the ground. It seems to be a common problem that's been given the title of 'the homelessness industrial complex'.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin