Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 3:12 pm

It's been a budding interest of mine over the last year or so.

Figured I'd throw this out there if anyone wanted to talk Connecticut shades, maduros, Sumatras, Camaroons, candelas, broadleaf, binders, fillers, brands, etc..

I've been working my way through as many maduros as I've been able to get my hands on but I'm also curious about some of the other wraps as well.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 9:57 pm

Am more into music than I am into nicotine.
Though at 1:25 there is footage of local lady smoking a cigar ...as big as a human child!

https://youtu.be/tGbRZ73NvlY

Last edited by naturalplastic on 26 Jan 2023, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 9:59 pm

I love cigars.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 8:39 am

I'm in a position where really I only want to do a couple per week and sitting outside with one is almost like an hour long meditative practice of sorts. There's also a sense of history with it as well as the various flavors that can come through the tobacco.

One of the things I had to give up in dealing with my hiatal hernia and trying to get past the side-effects of the proton pump inhibitors (ie. to get off of these and manage the reflux myself) I had to stop drinking coffee. I used to like drinking really strong coffee, particularly dark roast, and that's not really an option when that both leeches calcium and weakens the muscles over time that are needed to keep that issue in check.

Having a cigar a couple times a week seems to beat that drum, and the cool thing is - when I take a two or three mile walk, I can take one with me and puff along as I walk.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 9:05 am

One of the first maduros I tried that I really liked.

Apparently it's a Connecticut wrapper with mixed Nicaraguan and Dominican filler. I like the creaminess of it, it's the one cigar I've had that really does taste 'chocolatey' to me in a way that some of the other 'touted' chocolate cigars like Alec Bradley Magic Toast and Oliva Serie V just didn't.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 9:36 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I'm in a position where really I only want to do a couple per week and sitting outside with one is almost like an hour long meditative practice of sorts. There's also a sense of history with it as well as the various flavors that can come through the tobacco.

One of the things I had to give up in dealing with my hiatal hernia and trying to get past the side-effects of the proton pump inhibitors (ie. to get off of these and manage the reflux myself) I had to stop drinking coffee. I used to like drinking really strong coffee, particularly dark roast, and that's not really an option when that both leeches calcium and weakens the muscles over time that are needed to keep that issue in check.

Having a cigar a couple times a week seems to beat that drum, and the cool thing is - when I take a two or three mile walk, I can take one with me and puff along as I walk.

Smoking a cigar...while...you're taking a two or three mile walk????

You... do aerobics AND attack your lungs...at the SAME time?????????????

:lol: :lol: :lol:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 9:52 am

naturalplastic wrote:

Oh, it's a known thing with cigar smokers - you don't inhale. That would be terrible.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 11:31 am

I see.

Now Utube has Havanna in my algorithm.
Feeding my addiction now!

https://youtu.be/T2JnyCuAQMg

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 2:35 pm

I do wonder how many people will participate in this thread and get a ton of Google ads for cigars. Should be interesting.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 2:42 pm

My first 20 box that I purchased was of the Upsetters Original Rudeboy.

With these take all of the chocolatey / creamy attributes I mentioned above for the Partagas Black Label but add a Carribean infusion of something like vanilla, coconut, banana, and all sorts of other things but - this is the kicker - you can still taste the quality of the tobacco just fine, it's not like the ACID Kuba Kubas where the infusion overrides everything else.

The specifics on these:

wrapper: Connecticut broadleaf
filler: Jamaican Cow Tongue and Nicaraguan
binder: Nicaraguan

These inspired me to try the Zola, Django, even Skipper to see if the regular Connecticut shades were worth it - the rest of these are okay but I still think Original Rude Boy is significantly better than even the next ones down the list.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 10:51 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.insider.com/china-50-year-o ... 022-11?amp

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 6:39 am

But he didnt even make it to the top third of the 1500 participants.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 10:38 am

/\He needed one with more tar and nicotine, shouldn’t have been smoking lights.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 10:46 am

This guy's Crowned Heads Serie E review was entertaining. Also yes, I've had this one - no complaints.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 11:08 am

Another that I tried and liked a lot (and CAO's hard to go wrong with):