What gave away for you your therapist wasn't on your side?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2023, 9:54 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:
First thing out of her mouth was that if I confessed suicidal feelings to her she was legally required to report me to the police.

I noticed that Relate in the UK began to do that kind of thing. It seems the confidentiality of the interview has been compromised by some newish law or other, so now the clients have to sign a waiver that basically says if they mention certain things about illegal activities then they'll be shopped to the police. I suppose they can only be expected to cover their backs, and it's probably better than not knowing the risk, but it does put an atmosphere of distrust into the whole process from the start. And I remember a time when it wasn't like that.

Same thing here in the U.S.A. Problem is, mandatory reporting laws and the gradual growth in scope thereof. Here in the U.S.A, these laws started back in the 1970's, with an obligation to report any evidence of serious physical violence against children, then gradually expanded to other domains as well.

It’s BAD when therapists betray you, what happens to trust? Instead of turning people in for crimes, they should talked you out of it.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2023, 10:07 pm

y-pod wrote:
I once had a therapist who suggested something that was illegal was OK to do. I didn't go back to her. My principles are important to me and I'll never intentionally do something illegal or hurt other people to feel better about myself.

I would hurt my sister, she been hurting me sooo extremely bad for 9 years 8O :cry: :cry: :roll:

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2023, 11:12 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Instead of a psychologist person who’s often bogged and hindered by their “training,” how about:

1) speech therapist, which I’ve had as an adult,

2) organizing person for life and home, or

3) life coach ?

Basically, a person with some snap and “street smarts,” which I take to mean healthy interplay between theory and practice. :D

PS People I might hire if I were a rich rock star, work with me on this one! :jester:

And I wish we had our own Spectrum organizations to help provide these kind of helpers. And sometimes, certainly not always, they are on the more affordable side.

I had a speech therapist for half of my life when I was going to school, they taught me how to talk the right way, cuz back then my speech was soooo bad, cuz of my Cerebral Palsy.