Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 8:38 pm

Is anyone excited for the Rolex 24 at Daytona or the Daytona 500?

The Rolex 24 is the first race of the 2023 IMSA SportsCar Championship and will be held this weekend, January 28–29, 2023. There will also be a 4 hour endurance race for the Michelin Pilot Challenge on Friday, the 27th.

The track shuts down for two weeks to avoid competing with handegg, then the stock cars take over.

The Bluegreen Vacations Duels will be held on Thursday, February 16, 2023. They're a pair of qualifying races for the 500. The qualifying procedure is unique for the Daytona 500; the first row is set by a timed round of qualifying; the remainder of the field is set by the two separate qualifying races.

The Truck Series race is Friday evening. ARCA runs their Lucas Oil 200 on Saturday, the Xfinity series runs their Beef. It's What's for Dinner. 300 later in the evening.

Finally, the main event runs Sunday evening. There's already more entries than spots available for the Daytona 500 meaning the qualifying duels on Thursday matter. Some of those teams will not be making it into the main event.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 12:21 pm

I used to watch auto racing in the days of Richard Petty and the commentator Chris Economaki.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 12:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I used to watch auto racing in the days of Richard Petty and the commentator Chris Economaki.

I like hearing him on older broadcasts. Had Benny Parsons become a commentator when you watched, or was he still active as a driver?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 12:31 pm

Parsons was still a driver. His father wasn’t named Bennie. I was wrong about that.

The USAC people and the NASCAR people used to race each other.

I didn’t see Mario Andretti win the Indy 500…but he was always in commercials for STP oil.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 27 Jan 2023, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 12:40 pm

I remember Don Garlits, the King of Top Fuel.

Of course, in a different vein, there was Evel Knievel.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 12:48 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The younger Parsons was still a driver. I think the older Parsons was called “Bennie.” I don’t remember a Parsons being a commentator.

The USAC people and the NASCAR people used to race each other.

I didn’t see Mario Andretti win the Indy 500…but he was always in commercials for STP oil.

I've read that USAC used to have their own stock car division. It's weird to imagine how things might be if the two remained in competition for longer.

Andretti and Petty? STP had their sponsorship game down back in the day. 8)

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 12:53 pm

Race car drivers were solidly in the sports mainstream in the 1970s. For some reason, auto racing started becoming a regional phenomenon in the 80s.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 1:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Race car drivers were solidly in the sports mainstream in the 1970s. For some reason, auto racing started becoming a regional phenomenon in the 80s.

I wonmder how much the splits in Indy Cars (USAC vs CART) and F1 played a role.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 1:11 pm

Lets not Forget Bonneville where different classes of Wotld Landspeed Record holders and others competed.?
Not quite the mainstream as Daytona though or the Rolex..am more a fan of the Goodwood car event in England, myself . :ninja: :heart:

where ever you go ,there you are

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 1:20 pm

Jakki wrote:
Lets not Forget Bonneville where different classes of Wotld Landspeed Record holders and others competed.?
Not quite the mainstream as Daytona though or the Rolex..am more a fan of the Goodwood car event in England, myself . :ninja: :heart:

Right, none of that is part of Daytona Speedweeks (which was kinda what I was focusing on).

Although, I do like seeing them do the hillclimb at Goodwood.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 1:32 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Yep…that certainly could have played a role, bringing NASCAR to the fore, which had a more “redneck” sort of reputation which might have caused it to become more of a “Southern” thing.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 3:38 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Yep…that certainly could have played a role, bringing NASCAR to the fore, which had a more “redneck” sort of reputation which might have caused it to become more of a “Southern” thing.

For what it's worth, NASCAR's always been really strongly associated with the Southeast. Wilkes County, North Carolina seems to get treated as it's heart, but there's a really strong connection between Appalachian bootleggers and the early era of stock car racing.

Basically it was another revenue stream for bootleggers and people adjacent to that activity.

Bill France Sr. figured out how to make a corporate version of that, shifting the focus from 'modified' (like the bootleggers originally raced) towards 'strictly stock' or 'late model', cars that looked like production cars. In NASCAR the 'strictly stock' era ended in 1965 because they started letting teams build cars on a custom chassis.

He's a despicable Dixiecrat POS, just to ensure I'm on the record regarding him personally. It took a long time for the sport to really do any introspection on issues that descend from that.

Apparently in the midwest and northeast the modifieds and roadsters continued to be more popular for quite awhile. Sports car racing in that era seems like it was mostly focused in that region, along with California and Florida. USAC is headquartered in Indianapolis and SCCA is in Kansas.

I think they just took forever to realize how big they were about to get by the late '90s/early '00s, so it was still pretty 'southern'.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 5:34 am

NASCAR was pretty big even in the 60s-70s, though somewhat less so thsn USAC.

Formula 1 was popular with more serious racing fans.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2023, 12:27 pm

This year's Daytona 500.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う