Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 7:54 am

magz wrote:

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 8:05 am

magz wrote:
Tanks have "luxurious" active armour, precise fire systems, communication systems immune to jamming... yes, it costs that much. Civilian equivalents, even most luxurious, don't need to be operational in environment expected for tanks.

60 tanks is less than one brigade. In a war like that, it's enough to make up for losses of a few weeks.
USA promised 31 but it's probably only the first batch.

Canada is sending Leopards.

Poland has supplied over 260 tanks to Ukraine already, 14 Leopards and 30 PT-90 are promised currently. The only country that supplied more is... Russia, with over 400 captured.

I read somewhere (perhaps someone who knows can correct me if this is wrong) that the Russian tanks don't separate their munitions storage from the personel area.

Which is why Russian tanks explode so violently when they're hit by comparatively underpowered weapons.

In western built tanks the munitions are stored in such a way that if they explode the blast is directed out of the tank through blow-out panels, the crew have heavier armour protecting the inside.

If that's the case, I'd rather be a Ukranian in a Leopard than one of the 400 captured Russian tanks.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Jan 2023, 8:08 am

I don't have a youtube account but the title directs me to a historical book.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 8:11 am

magz wrote:
I don't have a youtube account but the title directs me to a historical book.

Based on a West German novel, however.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Jan 2023, 8:15 am

A link to the novel?
I get only this with google: https://www.amazon.com/Where-Iron-Cross ... 1472816781

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 8:17 am

magz wrote:
A link to the novel?
I get only this with google: https://www.amazon.com/Where-Iron-Cross ... 1472816781

That's a quote, not a title. :wink:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Willing_Flesh

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Jan 2023, 8:22 am

And your point?

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 8:24 am

The point is I know. Then some.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Jan 2023, 8:26 am

DuckHairback wrote:
magz wrote:
Tanks have "luxurious" active armour, precise fire systems, communication systems immune to jamming... yes, it costs that much. Civilian equivalents, even most luxurious, don't need to be operational in environment expected for tanks.

60 tanks is less than one brigade. In a war like that, it's enough to make up for losses of a few weeks.
USA promised 31 but it's probably only the first batch.

Canada is sending Leopards.

Poland has supplied over 260 tanks to Ukraine already, 14 Leopards and 30 PT-90 are promised currently. The only country that supplied more is... Russia, with over 400 captured.

I read somewhere (perhaps someone who knows can correct me if this is wrong) that the Russian tanks don't separate their munitions storage from the personel area.

Which is why Russian tanks explode so violently when they're hit by comparatively underpowered weapons.

In western built tanks the munitions are stored in such a way that if they explode the blast is directed out of the tank through blow-out panels, the crew have heavier armour protecting the inside.

If that's the case, I'd rather be a Ukranian in a Leopard than one of the 400 captured Russian tanks.

This is true, at least for the T-72, which are the most common post-Soviet tanks.
Western tanks started to focus on protecting the crew from this scenario in the 1970s. The military history podcast I listened to claimed it was after the experiences of the Yom Kippur War where Israel could afford more tanks than trained crews.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Jan 2023, 8:27 am

r00tb33r wrote:
What do you know?
That Iron Cross was designed in Kingdom of Prussia during Napoleonic Wars?

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 8:36 am

magz wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
What do you know?
That Iron Cross was designed in Kingdom of Prussia during Napoleonic Wars?

Black Cross as a symbol is much older than that, occasionally appearing closer to the Prussian Iron Cross design.
Yawn. Boring.

Still. The modern association is unmistakable.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Jan 2023, 9:04 am

Oh, dear, Germany existed in 1800s, 1940s and 1980s, and still exists :shrug:
Completely unlike Russia, I guess?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 9:09 am

And Prussia has existed (as a full kingdom) since 1701. Prussia is a considerable portion of modern Germany.

Many German principalities/states have existed since at least medieval times.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 12:48 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
And Prussia has existed (as a full kingdom) since 1701. Prussia is a considerable portion of modern Germany.

Many German principalities/states have existed since at least medieval times.

The Iron Cross, and the Maltese Cross, are German symbols. Not Nazi symbols. Indeed the Maltese cross was...Maltese before it was German. Both were used by the Kaiser in the First World War (on the Red Baron's plane) and probably used in the Napoleonic wars.

Actual "Prussia" is no longer part of Germany. Actual Prussia, or "East Prussia" is divided between Poland, and the Russian Republic (inherited from the USSR). Its most important city, "Konigsburg", has been "Kalingrad" since WWII.

Prussia had a doubly ironic role in German history. Originally Prussians were a seperate people from the Germans, and spoke a Baltic language related to Latvian, and Lithuanian.

Then they were conquered by the Teutonic Knights. And the name "Prussia" vanished from the map.

The place got filled up merchants from western Europe, including Germany, and only then in the late Middle Ages did it become assimilated culturally into the German realm, and language.

Then the Prussian name was revived for the region when it became a German speaking kingdom. Frederick the Great of Prussia was a major player in the wars of Napoleon. Prussia gradually gobbled up its german neighboring states (like Pomerania, and Silesia) and Prussia even leapfrogged across Germany to seize an area on the Rhine. Then finally Bismark engineered the final unification of Germany under Prussian guidance in 1870.

Dial ahead to 1939. Hitler and Stalin agree to carve up Poland like pizza pie. They both invade Poland. Germany conquered the western portion, and the Soviets the eastern slices. This kicks off WWII. Germany looses WWII. But the Soviets keep what they seized from Poland, BUT they give Poland Prussia, and most of Pomerania and Silesia, making Russia fatter, Germany smaller, and Poland the same size (but jumping west on the map at the expense of Germany between pre war and post war maps).

So Prussia was NOT originally German, but later not only became one of the feuding german states it eventually unified Germany under its domination, but it's now... severed FROM Germany. :lol:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 4:56 pm

Pepe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Canada is sending 4 tanks as well. No idea what kind, if we built them or bought them from the USA, but Canada is also on the list.

The USA is sending the most, IIRC, and overall it's something like ~60 tanks headed to Ukraine. When I heard that number I thought "In the grand scheme of the world and the scale of war, that doesn't seem like very many."

But I don't know much about tank warfare or war in general. I mean, I've played "Scorched Earth," and seen that Brad Pit movie "Fury." :mrgreen: Maybe 60 tanks are a lot of tanks? Maybe today's tanks can do a lot more damage than the ones built for WW2? Maybe they can withstand more damage, too ? Maybe they just have to be slightly better than whatever russia is using in order to out-tank them by multiples ? :?

They will concentrate their tanks in one offensive rather than spread them all over the front lines. 8)

The Russians are rebuilding old tanks because of the international sanctions, and they will be no match for the high-tech western versions.

Further Research indicated the Abrams ,, has no autoloader function ,, all manual .For its main gun.

But given the firing range and versatility of Ammunition types .With the Leopard tanks . 3 or 5 to one against the Leopard tanks would probably be considered a fair fight .versus russian tanks. But from old info available the old Late War ,WW2 Stalin Tanks had remarkable front armour capability . A few modern upgrades and who knows what they might have. or be capable of ? Might be entertaining to see those show up again.
But think the Russians have considered everything on this thread . And Possibly each Russian tank commander will
have a realization . About doing the same thing as those other russians did in that convoy that got stuck on that road
, depicting the RussianArmour and put holes in their fuel tanks . So as not to face the fate that may very well befall them .
2 things possibly .. this will put Putin into a corner and Force Nukes onto the battlefield. And / Or the Poles or Ukranians at best have extra capacity to accept larger numbers of POWs .
War is really quite insane, IMHO. :skull:

where ever you go ,there you are

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 5:55 am

Quote:
Doug McCarthy
Studied at Salem State UniversityJan 19
How do British Challenger 2 tanks compare to Russian-made tanks?

Lets put it this way. In 1991,during Operation Desert Storm a British Challenger I tank set a record of blowing away a T72 from 5100 meters. The Russian 125mm guns were fairly accurate out to 2186 meters. British Challengers and US M1A1 Abrams were hitting the Iraqi tank mostly with first shots from 3000+ meters on a regular basis. Now its 20 years later and the Challenger II is even more sophisticated.

You would be seeing a lot of this if the Ukranian crews are trained correctly

https://www.quora.com/