General predicts China War, preps officers

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 10:16 pm

Air Force general predicts war with China in 2025, tells officers to prep by firing 'a clip' at a target, and 'aim for the head

Quote:
A four-star Air Force general sent a memo on Friday to the officers he commands that predicts the U.S. will be at war with China in two years and tells them to get ready to prep by firing "a clip" at a target, and "aim for the head."

In the memo sent Friday and obtained by NBC News, Gen. Mike Minihan, head of Air Mobility Command, said, “I hope I am wrong. My gut tells me will fight in 2025.”

Air Mobility Command has nearly 50,000 service members and nearly 500 planes and is responsible for transport and refueling.

Minihan said in the memo that because both Taiwan and the U.S. will have presidential elections in 2024, the U.S. will be “distracted,” and Chinese President Xi Jinping will have an opportunity to move on Taiwan.

He lays out his goals for preparing, including building “a fortified, ready, integrated, and agile Joint Force Maneuver Team ready to fight and win inside the first island chain.”

The signed memo is addressed to all air wing commanders in Air Mobility Command and other Air Force operational commanders, and orders them to report all major efforts to prepare for the China fight to Minihan by Feb. 28.

During the month of February, he directs all AMC personnel to “fire a clip into a 7-meter target with the full understanding that unrepentant lethality matters most. Aim for the head.” He also orders all personnel to update their records and emergency contacts.

In March he directs all AMC personnel to “consider their personal affairs and whether a visit should be scheduled with their servicing base legal office to ensure they are legally ready and prepared.”

Minihan urges them to accept some risk in training. “Run deliberately, not recklessly,” he writes, but later adds, “If you are comfortable in your approach to training, then you are not taking enough risk.”

He also provides a window into one capability the U.S. is considering for possible conflict with China — commercial drone swarms. He directs the KC-135 units to prepare for “delivering 100 off-the-shelf size and type UAVs from a single aircraft.”

An AMC spokesperson confirmed in a statement Friday that the memo is real:

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 6:52 am

combat is a nasty thing, shoot to kill is standard to training for all branches of the military. The air force is not as well trained in marksmanship as other branches of the military . this is kind of a strange article, what do people expect from the military, to carry dart guns and only use gentle methods to conquer on the battlefield?

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Jan 2023, 7:09 am

Some day things will blow up on Pacific.
That's why Japan is rebuilding their military.
And that's why we here need to build functional military for ourselves, because USA busy in Pacific won't be able to help us much.

Damned History does not want to end.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 7:58 am

I dont know why he wasted breath talking about shooting a handgun to the head (since he is not an infantry commander, but a commander of pilots who fire missiles at other planes) unless he is speaking metaphorically ...like about taking out the enemy's command centers with airstrikes early in the game.

That aside...well Putin and Xi had that summit a year ago. And they both pledged "to respect each other's territorial claims".

Its kinda obvious that that means "if China is okay with Russia seizing Ukraine then Russia will be okay with China seizing...I dunno...islands named 'Taiwan'".

And a little bit after that meeting and joint statement Russia invaded Ukraine.

So will 2025 see the start of World War Three? Its not unthinkable.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 8:00 am

I don’t feel the Chinese premier will be that stupid.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Jan 2023, 8:12 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
He might fall to a common disease of dictators - start believing his own propaganda.
I hope it doesn't happen but we have to be prepared.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 8:20 am

Of course we have to be prepared.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 3:09 pm

kraftiekortie does this mean I should start taking lessons in speaking and writing Chinese (just kidding)

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 3:24 pm

magz wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
He might fall to a common disease of dictators - start believing his own propaganda.

There's a second disease of dictators, if they're belligerent and aggressive, they eventually place themselves in a situation where they're obliged to walk the walk by their own citizens.

In a lot of people's eyes, Xi's job is to continue to make China stronger and to avoid being humiliated by outsiders again. He's told them he's working towards that goal and is capable of achieving it, his hand will be forced if he's more worried of the consequences of not acting strong than he is of the consequences of acting strong.

He might find himself weighing civil war vs. global war as his two options.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Jan 2023, 5:17 am

^ I don't know. I can give historical examples of the mechanism I had in mind but I can't recall a society so agressive that it would push its politicians to go to war. It tends to go the other way, for the obvious reason that, unlike regular citizens, politicians are not the ones dying in these wars.
Of course, there are always hawkish minorities, but a major war on your own territorry is rarely a popular idea. Some dictators succeeded to channel emotions of crowds that way (fascism) but it starts at the top, not at the bottom.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 6:28 am

funeralxempire wrote:
magz wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

There's a second disease of dictators, if they're belligerent and aggressive, they eventually place themselves in a situation where they're obliged to walk the walk by their own citizens.

In a lot of people's eyes, Xi's job is to continue to make China stronger and to avoid being humiliated by outsiders again. He's told them he's working towards that goal and is capable of achieving it, his hand will be forced if he's more worried of the consequences of not acting strong than he is of the consequences of acting strong.

The people of China (none of whom ever voted for him in the first place) are gonna try to overthrow him because...he is too peace loving?

you're on drugs.

Development of a nation as huge as China is uneven.

So there are two mainland Chinas - the advanced seaboard provinces (which are already similar in lifestyle to Taiwan, South Korea, and Japan- whose inhabitants envy those neighboring nations' democratic institutions). And the still backward village based rural interior hinterland provinces.

The folks in backward interior of China want to equal the prosperity of the coastal provinces.

The folks in the coastal provinces want shorter work hours, more vacation time, and...a little more democracy.

Niether groups cares about military vainglory or territorial expansion.

The Chinese people are not going to go to war with each other because the government WONT go to war with an external enemy. If Xi throws in the towel on Taiwan its not going to cause a 'civil war' in China. Thats absurd.

Okay...maybe it would cause a rift in the ruling elite. Some Chinese fanatical general might go crazy if Xi backs down on threatening Taiwan...and attempt a coup to over throw the civilian leader in Beijing. But the masses of Chinese people are not going to be angry at Xi for allowing Taiwan to live and let live.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 2:52 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
magz wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

That might have applied back in the colonial era but today's dictators (Putin and Xi) are heavily invested in global capital. Their people rely on foreign trade to survive.

The good general's antics are merely what was referred to in the old days as "sabre rattling". In modern jargon it might be called "flexing". His prediction was designed to be heard across the Pacific.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 4:08 pm

Perhaps Americans should stop funding China's growing military power and quit watching TikTok videos and playing Genshin Impact? :P

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 2:02 am

Australia is buying "Intelligent" sea mines that target military vessels to protect our sea lanes.
We are buying long-range missiles that can target ships.
We are developing drone technology.
We are developing A.I.
We are in the process of acquiring nuclear subs.
We are diversifying our trade partners.
We have created "The Quad" and "AUKUS".

All because of China's aggressive "Wolf Warrior" "Diplomacy".
No wonder Xi has dropped this form of "Diplomacy" for more diplomatic "Diplomacy". :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

People who say the CCP is no threat to Australia don't know what they are talking about. 8)

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 8:24 am

Pepe wrote:
Australia is buying "Intelligent" sea mines that target military vessels to protect our sea lanes.
We are buying long-range missiles that can target ships.
We are developing drone technology.
We are developing A.I.
We are in the process of acquiring nuclear subs.
We are diversifying our trade partners.
We have created "The Quad" and "AUKUS".

All because of China's aggressive "Wolf Warrior" "Diplomacy".
No wonder Xi has dropped this form of "Diplomacy" for more diplomatic "Diplomacy". :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

People who say the CCP is no threat to Australia don't know what they are talking about. 8)

Awwwwwkus! :lol:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 1:52 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Dude's getting old, so, like putin and a bunch of other old guys, they gotta make their move to do their whole destiny thing before they die.

So, it could happen.

Also: How nice of whoever published this to tell China that the USA is preparing and they'll need to develop some counter-drone defences. Wtf.. does nothing stay secret anymore? :? I mean, not that China couldn't figure some things out on their own.. but straight up publishing it for the world to read now means they have to do a Lot More preparation and R&D than otherwise.