Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 12:20 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
That is the way it seems, lol where are the good old days when things lasted...

Back in my day we made furniture from shipping crates, cable reels, cinder/breeze blocks and wooden planks rescued from a junkyard. The first time I actually lived with a girlfriend we just had a mattress on the floor we slept on, and I don't recall ever once discussing the possibility of getting an actual bed. Never bought anything new, the price of a sofa left out on the curb is effectively zero especially if you are able to carry it home on your own. Great times!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 3:32 pm

MaxE wrote:
the price of a sofa left out on the curb is effectively zero

... unless it has bed bugs. Bed bug extermination is quite expensive.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 3:54 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

...Ble that took kind of a dark turn but it is an issue that bothers me...

:lol: Nothing wrong with a dark turn when you're venting. I much prefer honest feelings than sugar-coated fluff.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 1:01 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
MaxE wrote:
the price of a sofa left out on the curb is effectively zero

... unless it has bed bugs. Bed bug extermination is quite expensive.

Yeah that kind of scares us off from taking free furniture by the dumpster. The apartment nextdoor to ours got infested and they had to get a heat treatment done to kill off the bedbugs...seemed like a gigantic ordeal. But yeah, since we were next door the bug exterminator people had to inspect our unit to and luckily, we didn't have any sign of them and still haven't.

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Feb 2023, 7:42 am

Joe90 wrote:
Ugh, I hate drunk boyfriends. Or any drunk people really. I don't see the appeal of getting drunk. It's idiotic.

Sorry, just my opinion.

You’re not the only one, Joe90.

My parents, both who are now deceased, came from broken homes. They never drank alcohol of any kind.

Mom had it worst while growing up. Her father and grandfather, were the town drunks. She took all kinds of abuse, except sexual abuse, growing up. What’s worse, her father and grandfather ran a speakeasy. Granted, her father saw action in WW II. I saw the bullsh!t firsthand she endured whenever Mom, Dad, my brothers and I paid a visit to his residence. It was particularly bad on Christmas Eve, which was his birthday. We’d get to his place before we went to church for midnight services, and he’d be 9 sheets to the wind. After I graduated college, and went to work in my dad’s convienience store, I finally had enough of grandpa’s bullsh!t. I left him know, in no uncertain terms, what I thought of him and his actions, and stormed out of his house, and of his life. To this day, I can’t stand the sight, or even the smell of alcoholic beverages. Whenever my church offers communion, the at least offer wine or grape juice. I always go for the grape juice, precisely because of the bullsh!t grandpa did to mom, dad and my brothers and I.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 8:00 am

I don’t have too much affection for drunks, either.