GOP Rep. Slammed for Gifting Grenades to Colleagues

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 2:05 am

Newsweek

Quote:
Representative Cory Mills, a Florida Republican, is under fire on social media after gifting hand grenades emblazoned with the Republican elephant symbol to his congressional colleagues.

On Thursday, an image began circulating on Twitter of a letter penned by Mills, a freshman congressman, along with an inert, 40MM hand grenade produced in Florida that is designed for use in the MK19 grenade launcher—a rapid-firing weapons system first deployed in the Vietnam War.

"Welcoming you to a mission-oriented 118th Congress," the letter read.

"Not even George Santos could make this stuff up," Representative Jim Himes, a Connecticut Democrat, tweeted on Friday.

On Thursday evening, Mills—an Iraq war veteran, defense contractor, and a gun rights advocate who currently serves on the House Committee on Armed Services—played up the stunt after a picture of his gift went viral on social media, clapping back at a post from Representative Ted Lieu, a California Democrat, who mocked the gift.

For Republican House members, Mills explained, it's typically seen as customary for freshman members to give gifts to members of the Steering Committee or other members of their freshman class with some relation to their home state or something that represents their background.

In Mills' case, as a Floridian and defense contractor, the gifts made sense—something he explained to Lieu in his own tweet.

"I can understand your jealousy for not receiving one of my GOP freshman gifts," Mills tweeted to the California congressman. "I'm an Army combat veteran, Bronze Star recipient, on HASC, and these are made in Florida. I can have one made for you, but clearly can't engrave 'House Majority' for obvious reasons."

The viral gifts also earned Mills something more valuable than any gift a member of Congress could give: earned media. On Friday, Mills made an appearance on Fox Business with morning host Maria Bartiromo, where he was able to trade barbs at his Democratic colleagues' expense

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 2:07 am

same planet, different worlds.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 3:07 am

So basically old boomer double parks taking up two parking spaces when they don't even have a handicapp tab, and is mad they wont let him bring live grenades in as gifts into the dmv.

I realise it is not what the article says but it is all I can picture from it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 4:13 am

Is this the House's version of the Candy Desk?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 6:23 am

of course they are NOT live grenades. Combat veterans are a different sort of person, and there is nothing shameful about having served. This is symbolic stuff that is drawing metaphorical parallels to joining congress and facing combat.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson