Pantera shows cancelled after frontman’s Nazi salute

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 6:11 pm

The Guardian

Quote:
Three shows of Pantera’s forthcoming reunion tour have been cancelled this week, seemingly due to a 2016 incident in which frontman Phil Anselmo made a Nazi salute and yelled “white power” at a concert.

As Consequence reports, the revered Texas metal band, who have not toured in more than 20 years, were dropped from the lineups of Germany’s Rock am Ring and Rock im Park festivals earlier this week. The promoter of the festivals cited public backlash to Pantera’s booking as the reason for dropping the band, saying the decision was made due to “intensive conversations with artists, our partners and you, the festival fans”.

Now, the band’s 31 May show at Vienna’s Gasometer venue has been cancelled too. As with Rock am Ring and Rock im Park, the promoter for the Austrian show did not provide a clear reason for the cancellation, writing only that refunds would be available for ticket holders.

According to Blabbermouth, at least part of the backlash to the band’s German bookings came from the German Green party; at a recent Nürnberg city council meeting, a spokeswomen for the party criticised Anselmo’s “repeated” use of Nazi slogans and ideology, and said that it was irresponsible to book the band given the fact that Rock im Park takes place at the Zeppelinfeld, a former Nazi party rally ground. Rock am Ring and Rock im Park are separate festivals that share a lineup, in the style of the UK’s Reading and Leeds festivals.

Anselmo came under fire in 2016 after he was filmed at Dimebash, a show celebrating the life of murdered Pantera guitarist “Dimebag” Darrell Abbott, ending a set by saying “white power” and making a Nazi salute. After video of the incident circulated on YouTube, Anselmo first claimed that he had been making a joke about the white wine served to performers at the event and told those criticising him: “Some of y’all need to thicken up your skin.” Later he issued a full apology, saying that “anyone who knows me and my true nature knows that I don’t believe in any of that”.

The 2016 incident was not the first time Anselmo had been accused of racism. In 1994, a reporter for MTV questioned him over elements of racism in his lyrics, and a year later Anselmo reportedly told a crowd that Pantera shows were “a white thing”. Writing for the Guardian about the incident at the time, Dom Lawson said that “the consensus in the metal world seems to be that Phil Anselmo is a racist” and that he “has some form in this unsavoury area”.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 2:50 am

Phil Anselmo is a fat prick of Italian heritage. Not quite Aryan material.

As with alot of these "types" they have hangups about their own heritage (there's a lot of neo-Nazis who are italian, greek, hispanic and even Arabic origin) so think acting Nazi gives them some sort of clout.
I am sure the coward would never do that in front of a group of Jewish men

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 2:55 am

Pantera has traditionally been "white trash" fashion, so it's hard to say whether those are his beliefs are just a publicity stunt. (Think what you will of Dimebag's Confederate flag guitars.)

I've seen a number of interviews with Phil and have not seen any signs of hate. Plenty of examples of bad life choices, however.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 3:02 am

r00tb33r wrote:
Pantera has traditionally been "white trash" fashion, so it's hard to say whether those are his beliefs are just a publicity stunt. (Think what you will of Dimebag's Confederate flag guitars.)

I've seen a number of interviews with Phil and have not seen any signs of hate. Plenty of examples of bad life choices, however.

Knowing Anselmo probably both.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2023, 10:05 am

Hah I just saw ads for their tour coming to my city. I strongly dislike that kindof music - I think its mainly a macho thing.

I like a lot of songs from the metal band "My Dying Bride" and all of their best songs are when they aren't trying to scream constantly. The guy has a good voice and yet whenever they put out an actual good album their fans get mad because its not screaming.

I knew a guy in high school that was Polish descent (like me) that got into being a Nazi. I tried to tell him what the Nazis did to people like us but he was more into being contrarian to get attention. He liked Pantera a lot.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 2:28 am

It's weird where Nazi white power music/culture and beliefs turn up
Malaysia - there is a huge interest in neo-Nazi whitepower culture

...Mongolia

Mexico
https://www.vice.com/en/article/akeqdg/ ... exico-city

These jokers would be fed to a crematorium if they were in Germany in 1945

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 2:31 am

That symbol has a long history in asian cultures. Perhaps they like a remix on it. Amusing to us, though.

Also their history curriculum is probably a little lacking. :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2023, 8:11 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
That symbol has a long history in asian cultures. Perhaps they like a remix on it. Amusing to us, though.

Some of it is linked to the British "Oi" movement from the 1960s which wasn't racist and is still firmly linked to working class northern British cockney culture. The problem is that local Malay and Indonesian boys who adopt the skinhead culture also adopt the racism of the skinhead movement and since there are no black people they target Chinese or Indian people.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2023, 11:16 am

cyberdad wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:

Some of it is linked to the British "Oi" movement from the 1960s which wasn't racist and is still firmly linked to working class northern British cockney culture. The problem is that local Malay and Indonesian boys who adopt the skinhead culture also adopt the racism of the skinhead movement and since there are no black people they target Chinese or Indian people.

Ironically, Oi is pretty strongly connected to ska fandom. Skinheads have always had a strong split between SHARP types and the racist types. Probably because that's a pretty common split among working-class whites to begin with.

It's still ironic that people would choose to imitate Nazi skins who would gladly beat the s**t out of them if given the chance.

Phil's racist rants are well-documented, all the way back to the 90s. So are his excuses for them, whether it's claiming intoxication or "I have black friends".

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う