Molotov cocktail tossed at New Jersey Synagogue

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 6:18 pm

Security Up at NJ Temples After Person in Ski Mask Tries to Burn One Down

Quote:
Police are stepping up synagogue patrols in certain areas of New Jersey after someone in a ski mask threw a lit Molotov cocktail at one in Essex County overnight in an apparent attempt to burn it down, authorities say.

No one was hurt in the 3:20 a.m. Sunday incident at Temple Ner Tamid in Bloomfield. According to police, security footage shows a man walk up to the house of worship with a Molotov cocktail, light it, then throw it at the door.

The glass bottle broke but no damage was reported, according to police. The suspect then fled down the driveway. Cops released a surveillance image of the suspect, which shows him wearing a ski mask.

The congregation said it was working with local Jewish groups and the Anti-Defamation League in response to the attack.

New Jersey Attorney General Matthew Platkin acknowledged the active Bloomfield investigation and also said his office was aware of a separate incident involving a Monmouth County church from Saturday. It wasn't clear if Platkin's office believed there could be a connection, but both cases are being investigated as potential bias crimes.

"We are cognizant of the fact that these attacks have occurred while violence continues to erupt in Israel, and while our own nation reckons with violence at home," Platkin said in a statement. "I want to reassure all New Jerseyans – especially our friends and neighbors of the Black community and the Jewish faith – that law enforcement continues to take the appropriate steps to increase our presence around sensitive places so that everyone in our state can worship, love, and live without fear of violence or threat."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2023, 10:14 pm

Nicholas Malindretos, accused of throwing Molotov cocktail at New Jersey synagogue, appears in court

Quote:
The man accused of trying to firebomb a synagogue in New Jersey appeared in court Thursday afternoon.

Nicholas Malindretos was in federal court after his arrest Wednesday in Clifton. He's accused of throwing a Molotov cocktail at a synagogue in Bloomfield. Prosecutors revealed they uncovered not only the clothes seen on surveillance, but other evidence.

Members of the synagogue were in court but did not want to talk about the case. They did tell CBS2 they were relieved to know the suspect will remain behind bars as prosecutors argue he'd be a risk to the community.

We also learned from prosecutors that there was other evidence uncovered when they made the arrest, including writings in a folder labeled "10 mile target" that included the names of politicians.

We're told it's not clear if he acted alone, and there could be other charges, as the investigation continues.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman