Anyone else feel sick after Sunday's NFL games?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2023, 10:16 am

It was just such a let down. My team didn't even make the playoffs so I was really pulling for all close games.

It was literally what I was looking forward to all week. Then I get to watch it and... Game 1 is Eagles vs Team with no quarterback.

Ok, crap happens.

Game 2 took us to the highest of highs and then decided it on a penalty. The entire game the refs were calling one sided calls against the Bengals and looking back, I remember the "extra" down they got as well.

It just makes me sick. I wanted an OT game, we were on the way to it and.... bam, penalty decides game.

It makes me never want to watch football again. My #1 complaint is all the games that get decided by penalties that aren't related to the play. Defender's finger tips brush against QB's helmet while trying to swat the ball down? PENALTY!

The hitting out of bounds thing is annoying because QBs will run on the sideline and then jump out to try to draw it. Roughing the passer has gotten insane to the point where I don't even know why anyone bothers trying to sack the QB anymore.

With a running QB like Mahomes you get the worst of both worlds from the defense. You get a runner that you know the refs are protecting and a passer that you have to really try hard to take down to sack when he's back there - but again one slight misplacement and wham, 15 yard penalty.

The rules so blatantly favor the offense now. I've seen it so many times when a runner is charging with his head into a defender but that never gets a penalty. But the defender puts his head forward to make a tackle? PENALTY!

Same thing with offsides. Offense goes offsides and its stoppage of play. Defense does it? FREE PLAY!!

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 12:01 pm

I remember the “do over” play. With about 10 minutes left in the game, Kansas City didn’t convert 3rd down.

But then the refs ruled there was a whistle which absolutely no one heard? ! ? I mean, like if a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it!

So, Kansas City gets 3rd down again. Pat Mahomes is sacked, but refs have called “Defensive holding, 5 yards, automatic first down.”

Probably my most unfavorite penalty. Even worse than the pass interference big yardage.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 12:37 pm

Okay, here’s the part you’ll probably not going to like:

With the building info on sub-concussive hits and CTE, we’re going to need to make football age 18 and above only.

I mean, adults can still drive race cars, sky dive, and do other dangerous things. But once we know the full consequences, I don’t think we can spend all this effort putting on high school football.

If you and I were on a local school board . . .

I think we gracefully phase out the sport. That’s much better than watering it down and killing it slowly.

And we go with two seasons of boys basketball— Fall and Spring. Two seasons of boys baseball. Two seasons of girls softball. And two seasons of girls basketball.

Water polo is already a Fall sport. I’ll have to look up when cross country, which has pretty big participation, takes place.

But we replace football with other things.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 12:51 pm

The fun part—

Okay, with the XFL, they’re not going to get the top-flight quarterbacks.

So, tweak the rules so that it’s a more run-oriented game. Open the possibility that teams might re-create something like the Oklahoma Sooner wishbone offense, or when the Houston Cougars had Bill Yeoman as their head coach and ran the Veer Option, or the Florida Gators with Tim Tebow running the quarterback option.