Facebook secretly killed users batteries - lawsuit

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 12:20 pm

Facebook secretly killed users batteries, worker claims in lawsuit

Quote:
Facebook can secretly drain its users’ cellphone batteries, a former employee contends in a lawsuit.

The practice, known as “negative testing,” allows tech companies to “surreptitiously” run down someone’s mobile juice in the name of testing features or issues such as how fast their app runs or how an image might load, according to data scientist George Hayward.

“I said to the manager, ‘This can harm somebody,’ and she said by harming a few we can help the greater masses,” said Hayward, 33, who claims in a Manhattan Federal Court lawsuit that he was fired in November for refusing to participate in negative testing.

Hayward worked on Facebook’s Messenger app, which allows users to send written messages or make phone or video calls — and is a crucial communication tool in many countries, he said.

Killing someone’s cellphone battery puts people at risk, especially “in circumstances where they need to communicate with others, including but not limited to police or other rescue workers,” according to the litigation filed against Facebook’s parent company, Meta Platforms.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 12:41 pm

The first smartphone I ever had would heat up for no reason every time it updated Facebook. I don't use Facebook. I try uninstalling it, but updates kept putting it back in. When it heat up, it was not enough to burn my hand, but just enough to make me think one of these days it would spontaneously combust.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 1:03 pm

The app or just a visit to the site?
What about the messenger app?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 1:23 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
The first smartphone I ever had would heat up for no reason every time it updated Facebook. I don't use Facebook. I try uninstalling it, but updates kept putting it back in. When it heat up, it was not enough to burn my hand, but just enough to make me think one of these days it would spontaneously combust.

Just root your phone and remove it - if you cant get Root access, you can still keep the the facebook app from loading at startup on iphone or Android. The mothodology is different, but it doable.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 3:06 pm

DanielW wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

Just root your phone and remove it - if you cant get Root access, you can still keep the the facebook app from loading at startup on iphone or Android. The mothodology is different, but it doable.

That was a long time and a few smartphone upgrades ago.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 2:12 am

Quote:
Facebook secretly killed users batteries - lawsuit

Do I believe it?
What do you think?

Big business is an obscenity. :eew: