? for the guys; girls from your hometown vs. from away.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Jutty1224
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2023, 10:12 pm

I've been wondering if this has been the experience of other guys on the spectrum from when you were younger. When you were a teenager, and also in young adulthood did your experience with the girls differ between those who attended your school and those you maybe met someplace else. For example let say you went to summer camp and there were girls there that you liked, did you develop any bond with them that might seem impossible with those who live in your hometown, and that maybe you went to school with too. If the girls from away didn't know anybody from where your from, or didn't know those who may not like you, your friendship might be stronger. That was my experience when I was young.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 2:11 am

Yeah I romanced a girl in summer camp.

I think they are easier when they're away from a familiar environment as well. They're not in an impenetrable fortress.

But honestly, I was well-liked iny youth in general, but early on I wasn't interested, later I just had too much difficulty connecting to go from friendliness to something more.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 7:17 am

I grew up in the "garden district" of my hometown, dominated by people on the social register all of whom sent their kids to a handful of same-sex private day schools. Note my family was not themselves on the social register. Anyway, if you were at all popular in that neighborhood you literally knew every other kid your age. Popular girls who'd never met me knew who I was by reputation. Girls who weren't popular were socially isolated due to attending same-sex schools. Needless to say, I didn't have much of a chance.

However I was apparently somewhat attractive despite being a pariah, and when I would go to a summer camp or similar situation, girls who knew nothing about me were friendly in a way I never experienced at home. My first experiences kissing and making out happened in those situations, unfortunately over time I would start to make enemies and would be as unpopular at camp as I was at home. There was one case of a girl who continued to like me, although she lived in another part of the country but I did visit her, however she had some serious psychological issues and there was no future in that either.

Yeah meeting girls away from their usual "crowd" can work in the short term but doesn't change the fundamental issues.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 7:23 am

I had a “romance” in summer camp when I was 14.

Didn’t do well in summer camp at 15, but had a fling with someone in my neighborhood at that time.

Met my ex-fiancée at high school when I was 18, and a senior (I graduated on time, despite the age. I was born in January). Did terribly in high school until that time.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 3:35 pm

I met one of my ex-boyfriends at a Summer Camp as a teen and after camp we went on romantic dates

(I also made out and passionately kissed him in a storage shed which COULD have led to sex)