Petition calls to dismantle Queen’s Autism Speaks Canada

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 10:54 am

The Queens University Journal

Quote:
Vera Aube, ArtSci ’23, was diagnosed with autism over the winter break. After three and a half years at Queen’s, they now feel “validated” to speak out on behalf of the neurodivergent community.

Aube is petitioning(link is external) to stop the Autism Speaks Canada (ASC) branch at Queen’s, alongside three neurodivergent friends. Almost 500 people have signed the petition since it opened around two weeks ago. The petition requests that the AMS “dismantle” Queen’s branch of ASC and replace it with another organization or support service.

ASC at Queen’s is a club that allegedly seeks to educate people about autism but, according to the petition, perpetuates “harmful mindsets.”

“It's scary to have [ASC] as the biggest representation [of people who are neurodivergent] because it presents us as an issue to society,” Aube said in an interview with The Journal. “[Autism] is just a different way the brain works, and I don't think there's a need to fix that.”

The Stop Autism Speaks Instagram account(link is external) is sharing the petition and has an anonymous form that shares anecdotes from people who are or have close family members who are autistic.

Aube reached out to the AMS to investigate ASC two years ago and said they were ignored.

“Being neurodivergent, it's hard to build up the courage to email about those things and talk about them,” they said.

The “I Am Autism(link is external)” commercial released by ASC in 2009 sparked controversy in its depiction of neurodiversity, according to Aube. The commercial(link is external) spoke from the point of view of “autism” and describes how the presence of an autistic person could cause family issues.

“It depicts autism as this raging scary disease that will tear apart your families and make sure you never have another happy moment in your life.”

At the time of publication, a part of ASC’s mission is to research further the “causes” and “interventions” of autism. In Aube’s experience, autism is not a problem that needs to be “solved,” but something “we need different understandings [of] and help for.”

ASC rebranded in 2016 to “better serve the autism community,” they said in a statement to The Journal. The organization has autistic employees, family members, and professionals specializing in autism.

“It is obvious [ASC] is trying to rebrand and put as many asterisks to their history, but it’s far too late. Their damage has been done,” Clara Toth, ArtSci ’24 and a member of Stop Autism Speaks, wrote in a statement to The Journal.

Stop Autism Speaks wants to create a space where people who are neurodivergent can get support, like weekly meetings where neurodivergent peers can listen to one another.

I think they would be better served if instead of trying to ban the entire branch they petition the branch to disavow specific bad things such as ABA that Autism Speaks supports. They said they liked Autistics for Autistics Ontario. Why don’t they set up a branch of that organization on campus?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 11:16 am

Do you know how to access the petition?
I opened your link but it seems it's only on Insta?

In my experience QSAS is negligent in its accommodation of neurodivergence.

I've never heard of Autistics for Autistics so I'll check that out.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 12:46 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Do you know how to access the petition?
I opened your link but it seems it's only on Insta?

In my experience QSAS is negligent in its accommodation of neurodivergence.

I've never heard of Autistics for Autistics so I'll check that out.

https://www.change.org/p/stop-autism-sp ... university

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2023, 3:37 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I think they would be better served if instead of trying to ban the entire branch they petition the branch to disavow specific bad things such as ABA that Autism Speaks supports.

That might be a good first step, unlikely to succeed, but would provide additional justification for the next step, asking that the branch be banned.

I really think critiques should focus more on what Autism $peaks is doing NOW, and why (at least some of) those things are harmful to autistic people, rather than on continuing to call A$ a "hate group" based on videos they produced 12 to 15 years ago. To make an up-to-date critique would require a little more work: Looking at A$'s actual budget for the past few years.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
They said they liked Autistics for Autistics Ontario. Why don’t they set up a branch of that organization on campus?

Indeed they should do that if possible.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2023, 10:54 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
I really think critiques should focus more on what Autism $peaks is doing NOW, and why (at least some of) those things are harmful to autistic people, rather than on continuing to call A$ a "hate group" based on videos they produced 12 to 15 years ago. To make an up-to-date critique would require a little more work: Looking at A$'s actual budget for the past few years.

We need need somebody with true journalistic skills to look at where their money goes. What they do now that is bad is their support for ABA. They have for years now partnered with Google on the #MSSNG genetic database. Is that being used by people to decide to abort “Autistic” fetuses? The offensive name does not give me cause for optimism.

About those videos, it is about time they apologize for them. I wonder if they feel apologizing would be pointless because it would be interpreted as a deliberate attempt to from their true “hate group” agenda.

As many problems as they have I don’t believe they are nearly the organization they were in 2008. I don’t think you change the entire leadership and the mission statement because you want to keep the status quo. Yet most people at the time though these changes were part of a plot to pull wool over our eyes.