Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2023, 2:00 am

rse92 wrote:
At church.

I am serious. At church.

Or any other community you join.

Not like, go sign up to join a club or cult
or whatever, but just any community of people you become a member of.

A sense of community is one of the top reasons people cite for going to church if that’s their thing.

I remember hearing a radio segment a few years ago about adults making new friends and someone called in and pointed out that school kids make friends easier because they go to the same place regularly with the same people.. 5 days a week - kind of hard not to get to know some people and make friends.

So, they suggested that for adults to make new friends ppl just have to pick a place and become a regular there. Whether it’s a coffee shop, bar/pub, community rec centre, dance night somewhere, karaoke night somewhere, church, yoga, gym, park, beach, class, pool.. whatever doesn’t really matter just pick a place and community of people you’d like to join and just start going there regularly and eventually you’ll get to know other regulars and your social circle expands and you make more friends. Some of them might be potential dates, some might be people that introduce you to other friends of theirs who might be dating material etc etc.

Just need to decide what kind of place you want to become a regular at and which kind of people are your vibe.

For me, over the last several years of hanging out at Wreck Beach (I live in the suburbs, the OP is also from right here somewhere.) I’ve made literally dozens and dozens of friends there. Could I get dates there or from that social circle? Absolutely. Do I? Nah, I’m a gay guy.. I can just login to an app and chat someone up and go hookup. No need for me to pick people up at the beach - I can enjoy it in countless other ways. But joining a community of people by becoming a regular somewhere is a tried tested and true way of meeting new friends, expanding your social circle, and creating the possibility of meeting a potential date.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2023, 3:07 am

goldfish21 wrote:
rse92 wrote:
At church.

I am serious. At church.

A sense of community is one of the top reasons people cite for going to church if that’s their thing.

I remember hearing a radio segment a few years ago about adults making new friends and someone called in and pointed out that school kids make friends easier because they go to the same place regularly with the same people.. 5 days a week - kind of hard not to get to know some people and make friends.

So, they suggested that for adults to make new friends ppl just have to pick a place and become a regular there. Whether it’s a coffee shop, bar/pub, community rec centre, dance night somewhere, karaoke night somewhere, church, yoga, gym, park, beach, class, pool.. whatever doesn’t really matter just pick a place and community of people you’d like to join and just start going there regularly and eventually you’ll get to know other regulars and your social circle expands and you make more friends. Some of them might be potential dates, some might be people that introduce you to other friends of theirs who might be dating material etc etc.

Just need to decide what kind of place you want to become a regular at and which kind of people are your vibe.

For me, over the last several years of hanging out at Wreck Beach (I live in the suburbs, the OP is also from right here somewhere.) I’ve made literally dozens and dozens of friends there. Could I get dates there or from that social circle? Absolutely. Do I? Nah, I’m a gay guy.. I can just login to an app and chat someone up and go hookup. No need for me to pick people up at the beach - I can enjoy it in countless other ways. But joining a community of people by becoming a regular somewhere is a tried tested and true way of meeting new friends, expanding your social circle, and creating the possibility of meeting a potential date.

Very true. But join a community that you actually want to be part of and share an interest with. If you're not a Christian, don't join a church just to get dates. If you hate singing, don't go to karaoke nights just to meet people.

Canadian Freedom Lover
Raven
Raven

19 May 2023, 4:26 am

goldfish21 wrote:
rse92 wrote:
At church.

I am serious. At church.

Thanks for your input. It's nice to see another lower mainlander on Wrong Planet! I am from the suburbs too I live about 40 mins away from Vancouver. I am not sure that Wreck Beach is the place for me because I am not a nudist lol.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2023, 5:20 am

Canadian Freedom Lover wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
rse92 wrote:
At church.

I am serious. At church.

Thanks for your input. It's nice to see another lower mainlander on Wrong Planet! I am from the suburbs too I live about 40 mins away from Vancouver. I am not sure that Wreck Beach is the place for me because I am not a nudist lol.

8O

It takes me 40 mins to drive/ride to Wreck in no traffic. You could be my neighbour. :p

No Wreck for you? Alright, landscaper, you keep your tan lines. :P

While Wreck *is* a community, and I’m part of it, it’s not for everyone. My bigger point was picking A Community of people to join by becoming a regular at some place!or another. Or more than one. Can’t not meet and get to know people eventually if you go to the same place and hangout there regularly.*

*Although, I have no idea what your functioning level is. You may still have extreme difficulties if socializing with people in person is extremely unnatural for you. In which case maybe chatting people up on apps and getting to know them works better for you than real life live interactions.

Canadian Freedom Lover
Raven
Raven

19 May 2023, 6:29 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
rse92 wrote:
At church.

I am serious. At church.

8O

It takes me 40 mins to drive/ride to Wreck in no traffic. You could be my neighbour. :p

While Wreck *is* a community, and I’m part of it, it’s not for everyone. My bigger point was picking A Community of people to join by becoming a regular at some place!or another. Or more than one. Can’t not meet and get to know people eventually if you go to the same place and hangout there regularly.*

*Although, I have no idea what your functioning level is. You may still have extreme difficulties if socializing with people in person is extremely unnatural for you. In which case maybe chatting people up on apps and getting to know them works better for you than real life live interactions.

I am considered high functioning although there are certainly days that I question that label haha. My issue is that I do not enjoy getting out usually, I am a homebody. When I am not working I'm at home recovering from the day. I am apart of a couple groups one is a autistic social/support group and the other is a human rights organization but both groups are lacking in young women.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 8:51 am

goldfish21 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
rse92 wrote:
At church.

I am serious. At church.

8O

I am considered high functioning although there are certainly days that I question that label haha. My issue is that I do not enjoy getting out usually, I am a homebody. When I am not working I'm at home recovering from the day. I am apart of a couple groups one is a autistic social/support group and the other is a human rights organization but both groups are lacking in young women.

There's always dance lessons. I didn't meet anybody as most of the folks there were couples, but I did learn to dance reasonable well, and I actually kind of like it. Which does tend to make a guy more desirable to a good chunk of the population.