Why try and fit everything in, in one decade ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2023, 11:15 am

I always seem to think you have to try and fit in everything always when you are young. Its like you have to fit driving your own car, a relationship, sex, travelling, peaking at a job or business, etc all in one decade. I seem to think I see all around me even though I clearly don't know what's going on in other people's lives I don't know. It just frustrates me and then leaves me feeling bad just because I maybe I am doing some of those things a bit later than what is expected.

I always seem to think for example the best sports champion at the moment is only 23 and it then leaves me feeling like why didn't I take career path even though I originally didn't want to. I mean imagine you were the same age and you someone who was struggling like I was rather being already at the height of success.

CaliforniaLoneliness
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Feb 2023, 8:00 pm

If it helps, I often feel similarly. I don't think there's really any reason to feel bad about being a late starter compared to the average person, but speaking from my own experience, not feeling sad or bad about it is often easier said than done.

I try to remember that life overall is not a competition--even though it can often feel like one, in terms of getting jobs and such. If all life were just a competition, it would be so much more boring than a lot of it already is, heh.

Sigi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Feb 2023, 8:41 pm

I think it's normal to compare with others. Sometimes I get very jealous of 'normal' people ticking off milestones that take me longer to reach. Explaning work history when I took longer to start/didn't finish things is always painful.

Some things have a fixed deadline. I have done a working holiday in new zealand and will soon do another in Australia because the cut off is 30, I cannot hang around or I'll lose the chance forever.

But for other things there's more flexibility, and while earlier would have been the ideal, it's better late than never (Like I only got my drivers licence at 28)