Time management with Executive Function issues

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2023, 10:52 am

I have many issues with time management (during a day) and project management (time management across multiple days, weeks, etc).

ADHD and Autism both have many documented peer reviewed studies showing related Executive Function issues.

Please comment on one of the two topics:

1) I can relate, I also have trouble with time management

2) I have a system for time management that works for me, my system is __________ .

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2023, 12:10 pm

Fenn wrote:
I have many issues with time management (during a day) and project management (time management across multiple days, weeks, etc).

ADHD and Autism both have many documented peer reviewed studies showing related Executive Function issues.

Please comment on one of the two topics:

1) I can relate, I also have trouble with time management

2) I have a system for time management that works for me, my system is __________ .

What works for me is doing planning with other people. I talk with people who are good helping people with it.
You can also focus on sequencing: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bwdnECp2D-I
This is just sn example of a simple thing line washing the hands but sequencing can be used for all kinds of activities.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2023, 5:33 pm

I use check lists so I can stop trying to remember everything for the next day's commitments, and sometimes put a time estimate after each one so I can check that it all fits. I still have a lot of trouble with jobs that expand as I go. I may just want a simple device, but I enjoy making it handsome too, and that can take a lot more time. I may also be hung up because I sense that there is a better design lurking in my subconscious, but I have not seen it yet.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2023, 1:03 am

My friend who is good at this makes extensive to-do lists, and details them down to "CDTs" - Clearly Defined Tasks. He can pick one and focus on it without worry about it not fitting a larger plan, or, even better, get someone else to do it. If he does another job spontaneously, he often adds it to his list just for the satisfaction of then crossing it off. That may also constitute a time-sheet or diary of his days.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 8:13 am

I read a book called “getting things done” i think the author was David Allen. It talks about “the next actionable item”.
Sometimes I make a to-do list then do thinks not on the list.

kickingdownthedoors
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Feb 2023, 10:16 am

i can definitely relate. particularly since much of my work at the moment is creative work (as in, the assignments i'm turning in for school are often musical compositions or something similar), it's very easy to put it off in the name of "letting the creativity come to me" or something. what i've come to learn is that unfortunately, sometimes you have to chase the creativity. bit of a push-and-pull there.

as for things that work for me, proper organization of my tasks is a must. personally i prefer digital methods, and so there's a free app i enjoy called "my homework planner" that allows you to input classes and then assign tasks and due dates to them (or, if you aren't in school, you could simply input different factors of your life, like "hygiene", "work", "my d&d campaign", etc). it's all color coded and syncs across phone and computer which i really enjoy. if you're more of a paper and pencil type person, my therapist once recommended the "worksmart academic planner", the revised/most recent edition of which even includes some short quizzes on executive functioning to determine the areas in which you struggle the most and provides tips based on the results.

of course, these things won't enforce time management, but for me, it's a lot easier to begin a task when i see what i have to do written out in front of me, and it isn't just a swirling amalgam of stress in my brain. regardless, i hope you're able to find something that works for you! hang in there!

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 10:33 am

I have a system! I use calendars, alarms, reminders, and I schedule absolutely everything from household chores to time for computer, exercise, and any other things I want to fit into a day.

The plan is worked out by checking with the calendar first to see what is already on the schedule and then I plan around the other stuff I have routines for.
It has taken a long time to learn to use this system and to make it effective, but once you develop the habit ( 6 weeks is what some folks say it takes to develop a new habit/routine) it becomes easier.

Once you start 'working the system" you can find ways to fit more in.

Leave time for rest and recreation as well as breaks and try to leave an "open spot" or two on the calendar so you can fit in emergency stuff or changes that don't fit anyplace else.

Don't be hard on yourself if you miss something, just resolve to pick up right where you are at and to keep going, eventually it becomes easier as you get more experience and have more success.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson