Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2023, 12:11 pm

I know lots of people on wrong planet don’t go out to pubs/bars or drink alcohol.

In general why do some people frown upon those who go to pubs on there own without friends? Really what is so wrong with enjoying a quiet pint by yourself :?

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2023, 12:27 pm

i dont frown upon it, I think if the pub is packed you might blend in and maybe you could strike up a conversation with the other patrons.
It does look a bit weird if someone is sitting by themselves just looking at their phone all night, cos then you may as well stay at home.
I have tried going by myself and usually ended up sitting by myself and then going home. So I'm talking from experience.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2023, 12:32 pm

klanka wrote:
i dont frown upon it, I think if the pub is packed you might blend in and maybe you could strike up a conversation with the other patrons.
It does look a bit weird if someone is sitting by themselves just looking at their phone all night, cos then you may as well stay at home.
I have tried going by myself and usually ended up sitting by myself and then going home. So I'm talking from experience.

Some people may think you are up to no good

I sometimes go to the pub by myself in the off chance I might see someone know if my ‘close’ friends are not out.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2023, 12:33 pm

Why would they think that?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2023, 12:34 pm

klanka wrote:
Why would they think that?

Ok maybe not in a British pub but I have heard men going to nightclubs on there own looks creepy to others.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2023, 1:01 pm

Jamesy wrote:
I know lots of people on wrong planet don’t go out to pubs/bars or drink alcohol.

In general why do some people frown upon those who go to pubs on there own without friends? Really what is so wrong with enjoying a quiet pint by yourself :?

I am wondering if it's because of all the stigmas surrounding people going to bars alone because it might make you look like you are an alcoholic and you are drinking because you are depressed.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2023, 2:20 pm

Oh yes that is a possibility. Gotta be careful with not just trusting anyone

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2023, 6:58 pm

I remember my mum telling me years ago that it is socially unacceptable to just go and sit in a pub on your own, unless you're an alcoholic or something. For some reason people make fun of someone sitting on their own in a pub. I said that I've often seen men sitting alone in pubs but she said it's slightly more socially acceptable for a man to do it than a woman. I got on my high horse and got resentful of NTs and their gender double standards.

I like going to pubs if it's daytime and I'm having a meal there, or if it's night but just a quiet, friendly pub. I don't like crowded pubs with too many chavvy young people getting drunk. I don't know why, I just feel vulnerable in that sort of environment, like I'm out my comfort zone and I keep thinking everyone will sense it and judge me.