Page 3 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 11:48 am

I really doubt it’s that complex. Women were just not viewed as important when the book of Matthew was written decades after Jesus’ death.

I think it’s ridiculous because it’s ridiculous. I don’t think it was intentionally so. Nothing in that specific passage would lead me to believe that sarcasm was involved.

Yes, the castration could be figurative but it’s the sort of topic I would avoid if I was a deity inspiring people to write a holy book because I would know that some people would take it literally.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 12:01 pm

I think women were important in the book of Matthew and other gospels cos they are featured a lot.
The woman at the well who has had five husbands, the woman caught in adultery,Mary Magdalene, the other Mary.

It is strange how such a dangerous thing is not written as sarcasm though,I don't get it either.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 12:08 pm

Jesus’ mom is given a very passive role in the book pf Matthew. None of Jesus’ 12 apostles are female.

Women in the gospels have a very clear secondary role as they do in other Bible books. At least Jesus doesn’t say anything overtly harmful, unlike Paul (not McCartney) which is something.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 12:21 pm

klanka wrote:
women can't do that to save their souls, if they were prone to sexual sins.

Women can get hysterectomies.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 12:36 pm

Honey69 wrote:
klanka wrote:
women can't do that to save their souls, if they were prone to sexual sins.

Women can get hysterectomies.

Women with hysterectomies can still have and enjoy sex.

I’m not sure how well female sexuality was understood in ancient times. The writer(s) of Matthew may have thought that sexual desire/lust was more of a male problem.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 2:24 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I’m not sure how well female sexuality was understood in ancient times. The writer(s) of Matthew may have thought that sexual desire/lust was more of a male problem.

Genesis 2:

Unto the woman he said, "I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee."

1 Corinthians 7:

I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

Proverbs 7: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=KJV

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 2:26 pm

Honey69 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Genesis 2:

Unto the woman he said, "I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee."

1 Corinthians 7:

I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

Proverbs 7: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=KJV

Those were all written in very different times and places than the writer(s) of Matthew.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 4:16 pm

Paul's letters (including Corinthians) were composed before the gospels (including Matthew).

The woman caught in adultery probably enjoyed it.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 4:23 pm

From Ezekiel:

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 6:20 pm

Lol that is taken from something which is poetic. It's about God's people going to other religions.
Their unfaithfulness is being compared to an unfaithful woman.
Taken out of context like that does make it sound ridiculous.
I think it allows us to know God, that he is not above such language,so we can say a few off colour things as well :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 7:52 pm

the thought of it makes me shudder.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 7:59 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Castration, or donkey-size genitalia?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 8:00 pm

Honey69 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Castration, or donkey-size genitalia?

outside of prison, the former. inside prison, the latter.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 8:09 pm

klanka wrote:
Lol that is taken from something which is poetic. It's about God's people going to other religions.
I think it allows us to know God, that he is not above such language,so we can say a few off colour things as well :lol:

The point was that the authors of the Bible possessed at least some idea that women had sexual desires and lust--not just the gents.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 11:11 pm

Honey69 wrote:
klanka wrote:

The point was that the authors of the Bible possessed at least some idea that women had sexual desires and lust--not just the gents.

Some idea with at least some of the writers yes.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 11:31 pm

klanka wrote:
:lol:

In that passage, Oholibah seems to be enjoying the guys with the oversized genitalia. Then, the Sovereign Lord is getting to be overly nasty.

Quote:
...And I will set my jealousy against thee, and they shall deal furiously with thee: they shall take away thy nose and thine ears; and thy remnant shall fall by the sword: they shall take thy sons and thy daughters; and thy residue shall be devoured by the fire. They shall also strip thee out of thy clothes, and take away thy fair jewels...28 For thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I will deliver thee into the hand of them whom thou hatest, into the hand of them from whom thy mind is alienated: And they shall deal with thee hatefully, and shall take away all thy labour, and shall leave thee naked and bare: and the nakedness of thy whoredoms shall be discovered, both thy lewdness and thy whoredoms. I will do these things unto thee, because thou hast gone a whoring after the heathen, and because thou art polluted with their idols...

What's so terrible about a bit of whoring after the heathen? The Sovereign Lord doesn't seem like a pleasant guy at all.