Suspected Chinese spy balloon spotted over U.S. skies

Page 4 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 10:38 am

goldfish21 wrote:
There’s a super funny Chinese balloon meme making the rounds on Facebook and messenger, but I think it would be against the rules to post here due to stereotypes etc.

This one is also a bit of a stereotype, but a bit less offensive:

LOL

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 12:45 pm

The Mexican one will be a giant piñata.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 1:31 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Two hundred and 99 more are on the way!

https://youtu.be/hiwgOWo7mDc

Some Are Clearly Missing The Point Of The 40-Year-Old New Wave Hit '99 Luftballons'
Quote:
The suspected Chinese spy balloon – which Beijing maintains is a rogue weather balloon – has led to a serious diplomatic crisis, and even resulted in U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken canceling a weekend trip to China

However, the timing of the incident could be seen as good news for the German New Wave pop group Nena, which already had plans for a summer European tour. Since the balloon was first spotted over the United States, its biggest (and only U.S.) hit song, "99 Lufballons" is suddenly racking up views on YouTube. In addition, the song is suddenly getting renewed attention across social media.

The official music video posted to YouTube had few comments for months, but since Thursday has seen a massive uptick, with thousands now offering their opinions and thoughts. The same is true of the English-language version – retitled "99 Red Balloons," which was released in the United States a year later. Though not a direct translation of the German original, it shares a similar anti-war theme.

Though the sudden interest won't likely be enough to get either of the videos in the coveted Billions View Club, it certainly could help bring renewed attention for Nena as it prepares to tour again.

A few on social media had apparently missed the point of the song. That included Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Georgia), who tweeted some of the lyrics of the song on Friday evening, suggesting that actions should be taken.

Greene is among those who seemed not to have read the lyrics!

99 Lufballons" had reportedly come about after Nena's guitarist Carlo Karges had noticed balloons being released over a Rolling Stones concert in West Berlin in 1982, while the band also cited an article from the Las Vegas Review-Journal about five high school students who had attempted to play a prank by launching 99 balloons to simulate a UFO.

The song actually tells the story of how 99 balloons is released, resulting in an apocalyptic war!

"People don't understand the irony of the song when you juxtapose the peppy music with the actual lyrics," explained Matthew J. Schmidt, associate professor of political science at the University of New Haven. "This is actually a protest song about the placing of American missiles in Europe during the Cold War and the risk it poses for a nuclear holocaust."

Yet, the song is trending as there are calls to shoot down the Chinese balloon.

"It is funny when you consider in the case of the Chinese balloon, the U.S. military didn't want to shoot it down, due to a minor risk of escalation," added Schmidt. "That is the antithesis of what the song is supposing because the music is playing at this idea that you have these 'Captain Kirks' taking off in their fighter jets and starting a nuclear war without contemplating the cost. This leads to the city in ashes at the end of the song."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 1:34 pm

..I had no idea what that song was about and have only ever really listened to the chorus and have no idea what the rest of the lyrics are. I bet that's the case for most people.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 2:16 pm

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 2:18 pm

A piñata one would have come down right away.Everyone knows they are full of goodies and treats.I’d love a big treat filled one to come over my house.
Republicans would shoot it down because they would be afraid it would be full of migrants.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 2:21 pm

:lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 4:00 pm

Gawd...how could you miss the meaning of the English language version of "Luft balloons"?

Always knew it was about "the end of the world". A bunch of innocent balloons are released into the air somewhere near the inter-German border where both sides had their hair trigger forces amassed during the Cold War, and both sides mistake them for incoming missles/planes..."this is it boys, this is what were waiting for, this is war, everyone's a superhero, everyone's a capt. Kirk....". Or thats the image I always had in mind when I heard it.

"Luft" means 'aloft'. So they changed it to "red" to keep the fit to the music in English.

Prince's lesser known song "Two Hundred Balloons" is from soundtrack of the first Bat Man movie. No idea what that song is about.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 10:03 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Gawd...how could you miss the meaning of the English language version of "Luft balloons"?

Always knew it was about "the end of the world". A bunch of innocent balloons are released into the air somewhere near the inter-German border where both sides had their hair trigger forces amassed during the Cold War, and both sides mistake them for incoming missles/planes..."this is it boys, this is what were waiting for, this is war, everyone's a superhero, everyone's a capt. Kirk....". Or thats the image I always had in mind when I heard it.

"Luft" means 'aloft'. So they changed it to "red" to keep the fit to the music in English.

Prince's lesser known song "Two Hundred Balloons" is from soundtrack of the first Bat Man movie. No idea what that song is about.

Never really paid attention to the lyrics ever. Mostly recall the chorus. Some of those other lyrics are vaguely familiar, but it's one of those songs that I just remember the catchy chorus and never paid attention to the whole thing nor thought about what it's about - or IF it's about anything.

Josh68
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2023, 10:09 pm

I have to say, 99 Luft Baloons was a terrible song. These young lovers release a s**t ton of Baloons into the air and cause a nuclear holocaust! Jesus!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 12:45 am

Josh68 wrote:
I have to say, 99 Luft Baloons was a terrible song. These young lovers release a s**t ton of Baloons into the air and cause a nuclear holocaust! Jesus!

Thats why its great. Black humor social commentary from the last days of the Cold War from the nation right at the flashpoint (Germany)...with a nice beat. :)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 12:53 am

goldfish21 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Never really paid attention to the lyrics ever. Mostly recall the chorus. Some of those other lyrics are vaguely familiar, but it's one of those songs that I just remember the catchy chorus and never paid attention to the whole thing nor thought about what it's about - or IF it's about anything.

Granted that I worked in a warehouse in which they had top 40 blaring on the boom box constantly (so I heard every hit song constantly), but you hear..."balloons" then you hear "scambling jet fighters", and you DONT hear any of the usual boy-girl "I cant live without you" stuff. So...your mind eventually connects the dots that its some kind of odd storyline.

But I guess I hear lyrics better than most folks. Like at the time ...I would mutter "whats THIS song about? A chess match in Bangkok?" when "One Night in Bangkok" went into heavy rotation in the same 80s. No one else in the warehouse even got that far in deciphering the lyrics.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 1:43 am

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 1:50 am

goldfish21 wrote:
There’s a super funny Chinese balloon meme making the rounds on Facebook and messenger, but I think it would be against the rules to post here due to stereotypes etc.

This one is also a bit of a stereotype, but a bit less offensive:

This is the Russian spy balloon version:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 1:55 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

The suspected Chinese spy balloon – which Beijing maintains is a rogue weather balloon – has led to a serious diplomatic crisis, and even resulted in U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken canceling a weekend trip to China

However, the timing of the incident could be seen as good news for the German New Wave pop group Nena, which already had plans for a summer European tour. Since the balloon was first spotted over the United States, its biggest (and only U.S.) hit song, "99 Lufballons" is suddenly racking up views on YouTube. In addition, the song is suddenly getting renewed attention across social media.

The official music video posted to YouTube had few comments for months, but since Thursday has seen a massive uptick, with thousands now offering their opinions and thoughts. The same is true of the English-language version – retitled "99 Red Balloons," which was released in the United States a year later. Though not a direct translation of the German original, it shares a similar anti-war theme.

Though the sudden interest won't likely be enough to get either of the videos in the coveted Billions View Club, it certainly could help bring renewed attention for Nena as it prepares to tour again.

A few on social media had apparently missed the point of the song. That included Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Georgia), who tweeted some of the lyrics of the song on Friday evening, suggesting that actions should be taken.

Greene is among those who seemed not to have read the lyrics!

99 Lufballons" had reportedly come about after Nena's guitarist Carlo Karges had noticed balloons being released over a Rolling Stones concert in West Berlin in 1982, while the band also cited an article from the Las Vegas Review-Journal about five high school students who had attempted to play a prank by launching 99 balloons to simulate a UFO.

The song actually tells the story of how 99 balloons is released, resulting in an apocalyptic war!

"People don't understand the irony of the song when you juxtapose the peppy music with the actual lyrics," explained Matthew J. Schmidt, associate professor of political science at the University of New Haven. "This is actually a protest song about the placing of American missiles in Europe during the Cold War and the risk it poses for a nuclear holocaust."

Yet, the song is trending as there are calls to shoot down the Chinese balloon.

"It is funny when you consider in the case of the Chinese balloon, the U.S. military didn't want to shoot it down, due to a minor risk of escalation," added Schmidt. "That is the antithesis of what the song is supposing because the music is playing at this idea that you have these 'Captain Kirks' taking off in their fighter jets and starting a nuclear war without contemplating the cost. This leads to the city in ashes at the end of the song."

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, some were talking about an appropriate Amerrian retaliation of nuking Beijing. 8O

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 2:01 am

Misslizard wrote:
A piñata one would have come down right away.Everyone knows they are full of goodies and treats.I’d love a big treat filled one to come over my house.
Republicans would shoot it down because they would be afraid it would be full of migrants.

And the Democrats would be worried it is filled with "Classified Ukraine Documentation". 8O