Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2023, 7:20 am

I'm not "nice". I know it.

Likely the pragmatist in me sees no use in it, putting a fake veneer on reality. I'm very direct like the Dutch stereotype.

I do, however, consider myself kind. I genuinely care for the well-being of others, and I do help and support others in meaningful ways that words cannot.

Hence I am of the opinion that nice people are not necessarily kind, and kind people are not necessarily nice.

What are some of the best ways and examples to contrast the difference between kind and nice?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2023, 8:07 am

One can be superficially nice, do “good deeds,” yet not be around when “the chips are down.”

There are times when a gruff, not nice person can be kind. They might be ones who are available and helpful during a crisis.

To me, it’s preferable that one be both nice and kind, though I only “judge” based upon the individual.

I don’t usually find gruff people to be pleasing companions. I’d rather try to find my own way around a crisis than be around someone who is helpful but an as*hole.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2023, 8:23 am

I don't believe having an as*hole exterior and a kind interior is a good excuse to be an as*hole.

Many people do, though. They believe "being an as*hole" is more "for real" than being "nice."

I don't find that to be so. I've dealt with too many as*holes in my time.

I just don't want to have to deal with the crap which comes with hanging out with jerks.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2023, 5:38 pm

I have a lot of "nice" people at work who are not necessarily kind.

Kraftie, you should unretire. Lots of nice people at the workplace.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2023, 7:50 pm

Where I worked, there were many more nice women.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2023, 8:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Where I worked, there were many more nice women.

I can see why you worked there. :wink:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2023, 10:15 pm

By the way, I wasn’t talking about a specific person when I spoke of “nice” people and as*holes. I was talking in general.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2023, 10:24 pm

I was taught in school to never use the word "nice", because it's bland and lacks description.

Therefore, I can't really say what it is.
There can be nice bananas, nice weather, nice pictures, or I suppose nice people.
I have no idea what that means.
For instance I like dark wet weather.
That's "nice" in my opinion but others would disagree.

Kind comes from "kindness" which shows that the person is considerate of others.
The recipient judges whether or not someone is kind to them, not the giver.
Bananas, weather, and pictures can't be kind.

wheelz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Mar 2023, 8:05 am

I pretty much agree with OP rootb33r

Nice can be a way of being when you want something , being accepted, not rocking the boat, just wanting to be liked.
There are times when being nice is the best way to be, as long as you are sincere.

Being kind is good. You want to help or do something for someone because they need it or because you can . Not because you want anything in return.

An example of being nice is volunteering to do something you really do not want to do , but you want the person or persons to like you.

You can be kind and volunteer for something you don't like as well, but only because you care for the people needing the help , and you are not caring what anyone thinks , you just want to help.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 8:19 am

Just an observation. :spiderman:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 9:50 am

Yeah, I don't understand this thread or any of the comments except mine lol.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 12:34 pm

AGREES WITH krafties comments above .. but have discovered the application of nice , can be troublesome at times
have found most people from my experience mainly males seem to take that as a invitation to take advantage of someone . Seems this is a generational thing . The application of kindness , often can be the exact same situation ,
But in my time when i apply kindness , generally , i try "not"to have it appear as being directly related to any action i do . But am kinda in a fix , these generally are automatic traits i seem to apply most often . Niceness generally if I first meet someone . And even if i apply previously rules , seems since being a child that was , has been my intial
go to default . Seems maybe my family was correct in hitting me , when i smiled too much towards anyone .
Especially if it was an initial meeting . Even my husband R.I.P. corrected me more than once for being that way .

where ever you go ,there you are

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 7:32 pm

[opinion=mine]

Kindness: Doing good things for others, while expecting them to do nothing for you.

Niceness: Doing good things for others, while expecting them to do more and better things for you.

[/opinion]

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 7:41 pm

nice - pleasant to be around

kind - shows kindness in some type of act

wheelz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Mar 2023, 1:31 pm

I see fnord said what I tried to say. He did it better, with less words.