Looking to commiserate, have 3 nonverbal ASD children

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 6:08 am

I’m glad Juliette and Mona are here to help.

My mother went through similar with me. Fortunately, with her rough help, I became a fairly “normal” kid by age 6. Was nonverbal till age 5.5.

You probably know about the existence of PECS and “alternative communication devices.” These have proven useful to many.

I admire your dedication, Stratozyck.

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Apr 2023, 4:30 am

I had to google commiserate. New word for me, and you definitely deserve to have some. I love reading other parents description of the ASD situation because I find it hard to put my finger on all these issues. I probably adapt to situations people shouldn't need to, and only when somebody else point that out I become aware.

I'm also diagnosed ADHD with ASD traits. I don't know if I'm autistic, and it makes no difference anyway. There are people on the spectrum (celebrities) that are far better equipped socially than I am. And yes, the ADHD is a nightmare as it's such a bad combination Parent + ASD kids. Everything need to be in order, prioritized the right way, not forgotten etc. And ADHD is really accented during these circumstances.

I know exactly what you're talking about when you say one kid is 80% of the work. Same thing going on here. You need to follow him like a shadow all day. I assume I don't need to tell you why :mrgreen: :heart:

We're not at the end of the tunnel like Juliette is, so there's no final outcome yet. I very much doubt they'll be having their own imdb page though :| Just want to say amazing job Juliette! Our kids are currently 7m 5m and a 10 months old girl - all non-verbal. The boys are diagnosed ASD at 2 years of age and there's no question about the diagnosis. You need to be a complete moron to not understand there's something up - unfortunately, most people are quite stupid. Highly functional morons.

I know it's controversial to try to cure the ASD on this forum. However, it's not sure all of us have the same condition even though the diagnosis is the same or we present the same symptoms. Perhaps that's why different treatments work for different kids? We've recently done stem cell therapy. It seems promising for many kids, including ours. Language comprehension has improved quite a bit in our oldest son. It's just such a graduate change that I'm finding it hard remembering all the things that happened during the past 2 years. But we constantly hear about him having a rocket accelerated development, and that's all I need to hear. ABA... I think it's working, but I just HATE doing it. The first time I had to do a sitting with my oldest son I was crying because it felt so wrong. The only ABA we do now is verbal instructions. I don't know how that can be called a therapy, isn't it what any parent would do to try and help their kids?

Anyway, I understand what you're going through. We also feel neglected by people with more highly functioning kids. To me those kids are just fine. They should try being in our house where you need to stand up and check every that's going on. The oldest boy can not be still for a second. He can not keep his hands or mouth away from anything. Flushing down things in the toilet. Emptying bottles of shampoo. Constantly moves around. Wants to eat something sweet every time he opens his mouth. I could go on forever - and I really mean that.

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

LeafyGenes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2023, 7:16 pm

I'm sorry for what you are going through OP and I don't really know what to say. For myself I am learning about Intensive Interaction on YouTube, especially Phoebe Caldwell. I have more than one ASD child but they are adults now.

I assumed the more disabled one would grow out of their social difficulties, but they actually grew into them as their peers progressed and they did not, so I was wrong there. There were no responses to autism available in those days, but I wish so much I could have done something while they were small.

I hope you find what you are looking for.