Is It Better To Receive/ Not To Receive An Autism Diagnosis

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 12:53 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Not good in hospital and rehab facility settings.

So true.
I was gaslit by my stroke rehab team because I couldn't achieve NT standards in OT, Speech, or Psych.
They thought I was trying to exaggerate my lack of recovery from the stroke for insurance purposes.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 4:55 pm

Off Topic
kraftiekortie, C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S on retirement!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 12:29 am

Thanks! :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 5:42 am

My father, a non-Aspie, was in the Army during Korea. He never saw combat, was never in Korea, yet refused to talk about his time in the Army.

Urselius
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2023, 3:32 pm

I started education with selective mutism and ended it with a PhD. I think, had I been diagnosed in childhood (not an option when I was a child for anyone who did not have very overt autism) I would have used it as an excuse, and not worked as hard as I did. I was diagnosed at 59 and it helped me to come to terms with, and recognise the origins of, the difficulties and limitations I have always had. I previously thought that other people had similar difficulties to me, but were just very much better at coping with them. I now know that the problems I have on a daily basis, just do not exist for most people.

Before diagnosis I had the realization that I was autistic and researched the condition like a man possessed. I cannot express the joy I felt to find out that I was not the only person in the world who cut all labels out of clothing, and that I had found 'my people'.