Could need for voter ID affect the next UK election result?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 6:18 am

For the next UK general election voter ID will be needed. Could this help the Tories?

Voter ID requirement

From 4 May 2023, voters in England will need to show photo ID to vote at polling stations in some elections.

This will apply to:

Local elections
Police and Crime Commissioner elections
UK parliamentary by-elections
Recall petitions

From October 2023 it will also apply to UK General elections.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/ ... lsrc=aw.ds

You will need to have a photo driving licence, passport, or digital photo of yourself. I have none of those.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 6:41 am

Do you guys get IDs automatically and for free?

In the U.S. we have to apply for one and pay for it even though they're required for so much s**t. Which is why requiring photo IDs to vote is particularly nefarious here.

Though even if you guys have super easy access to IDs I don't know why your government would ever want to copy anything the U.S. does ever, unless y'all were purposely trying to irreversibly f**k up s**t. Anyone who looks at anything we've done in the past few years and thinks "Yeah, that's a good idea, I want us to do that," is absolutely brain dead.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 6:49 am

Fairfield wrote:

Nope, and the poorer in society are less likely to have photo driving licences, passports or be able to take a digital photo of themselves so I think this will adversely affect left wing voters more than Tory ones.

Nice one Tory government wankers. :roll:

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 7:06 am

Rossall wrote:
Fairfield wrote:

Nope, and the poorer in society are less likely to have photo driving licences, passports or be able to take a digital photo of themselves so I think this will adversely affect left wing voters more than Tory ones.

Nice one Tory government wankers. :roll:

Yeah, that's precisely why governments in the U.S. have implemented that policy. No one wants the poor being able to vote for anything that actually affects them, they might take more money from those pitiful little billionaires and the dumb, ancient f***s who run our governments.

Though, God forbid anyone mention making acquiring IDs free and easy. Y'know, the thing that you require to do basically f*****g anything as an adult now, like legally get a job, go to school, etc. If I go to the doctor they even want me to show them a ID so I can go to my f*****g appointment.

I don't know why everyone doesn't just automatically get one at this point, or why anyone would be against that. Who the hell wants to waste time and money on getting something that the government requires of them and could easily provide for them, poor or not?

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 10:44 am

Need for a voter ID sounds like a solution seeking a problem. It will just annoy lots of folk who don't have the relevant ID.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Feb 2023, 3:29 pm

It's a bloody stupid idea, which will deter more votes than it prevents impersonations.

If I'm living in a safe seat, I will probably refuse to show ID in case anyone is keeping track.

The net effect will probably be beneficial to the Tories, but they're so far underwater that it doesn't really matter.

WimKoning
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Feb 2023, 4:23 am

perhaps a birth certificate and or DNA fingerprint or employment or school reference for voting if not a voter ID card.

Conservatives have a point in that a process so vital like voting not requiring ID while everything else does is silly.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2023, 6:03 am

Going to become a very dangerous situation to be honest as the one thing that keeps peace in Britain is the unrestricted freedom to vote.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2023, 7:21 am

In my state, a photo ID ordinarily costs $24.00 but is free if you're disabled and $1 if you're homeless.

https://mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/Pages/fees.aspx

I thought that in some European countries, e.g. Germany, having an ID was mandatory.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Feb 2023, 8:48 am

MaxE wrote:
In my state, a photo ID ordinarily costs $24.00 but is free if you're disabled and $1 if you're homeless.

https://mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/Pages/fees.aspx

I thought that in some European countries, e.g. Germany, having an ID was mandatory.

Yes, the UK is a bit of an outlier. After the war, there was a civil resistance movement against still having to carry ID, which was initially introduced as a temporary wartime measure, and eventually it stopped being mandatory.