Can the relationship between two people change?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 9:44 am

Has anyone noticed that their relationships stay almost exactly the same no matter how much time passes? Except for break-ups.

Has any of your relationships with anyone like family or friends improved or worsened?

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 10:05 am

My relationships have changed over the years. Some, very drastically. Take my kids, for example. They are grown now. One of them has a child. Despite the fact that two of them still call, text, or show up to be parented now and then, the dynamic is very different. They approach me now, and I them, as more a peer than as a parent and child. I like this way better, personally, and my kids seem to agree with my thoughts on that. I get along much better with my oldest daughter now than I ever did when she was young and in my direct care. I think the best thing to happen to my relationship with her, was her moving out and going off to university. She couldn't stand me when she lived with me, but now she calls multiple times a week to share updates about work, family, friends, sports, and her exercise goals that she meets one after the other. I love it.

My relationship with my father has also improved over the years. He was gone when I was a kid and he and I never did speak much during my 20s and into my 30s. At some point, he decided he wanted to try to have a relationship with me and I was fine with that. He and I have a great relationship now. I don't really know how to view the man as a father, but he's an interesting guy and quite frankly, I like him. We get on well. Had you asked me if this would be possible back then, I would have laughed and laughed.

I'm not sure if this counts or it falls under break ups, but I used to have friends. I went into therapy several years ago to deal with trauma/cptsd. As a result, a began to (among other things) define and reinforce healthy boundaries. This did not go over well with the friends I had, and I no longer have them around as a result. My life is much better with the toxic people gone.

In my case, time and growth have very much changed the relationships I have had with people. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. *shrugs*

PenPen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Feb 2023, 11:26 am

Relationships are slow to change, but as you learn more about each other, one of you may realize the other person wasn't the kind of person you thought they were. Keep learning this lesson the hard way.