‘The Proud Family: Louder And Prouder’ Black Representation

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 10:54 am

The Proud Family: Louder And Prouder’ Reveals BeBe Has Autism And Fans Are Praising This Honest Depiction

Quote:
People are praising The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder for its realistic depiction of a Black family learning one of their children has autism after this recent reveal involving BeBe.

According to BuzzFeed, the clip has made waves on social media, resonating with viewers, especially those who have first-hand experience with an autism diagnosis. The clip shows Penny (voiced by Kyla Pratt), Trudy (voiced by Paula Jai Parker) and Oscar (voiced by Tommy Davidson) learning from Bebe and Cece’s teacher (voiced Holly Robinson Peete) that Bebe is on the autism spectrum. At first, Oscar reacts in fear and anger, believing the teacher is saying his son isn’t intelligent. But as the teacher explains autism in full, Oscar and Trudy feel more at ease.

The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder started its second season Feb. 1, right in time for Black History Month, and JoMarie Payton, who voices Sugar Mama, told Shadow and Act how she’s happy to continue spreading positive messages through the show.

“We’re coming back with the message that we put out over 20 years ago,” she said. “That was a good message put out there by some really talented people, and we’re happy to be back now delivering new messages and putting polish on old messages, making you laugh, love and learn. I’m excited to be back with the beautiful cast that we have and feeling blessed that we have the same writers and producers.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 8:35 pm

I love how the teacher made it clear it wasn't a bad thing. I always thought Oscar and Uncle Bobby were autistic too but due to their ages, were never diagnosed as children.