People Seem To Be Looking Away From My Eye Contact. Why???

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2007, 12:53 pm

I don't remember ever being too concerned with eye contact, until I learned that I am most likely an Aspie, so I'm not sure if I was good or bad at it. Now, I'm making a real effort to always look people in the eye when they talk to me. It seems to me like I'm the one causing them to be uncomfortable by making eye contact. I try not to stare at them, 8O but I must still be doing something wrong. I was talking to an aquaintance who has tons of friends and is highly confident. When she was talking to me, she looked away almost the entire time. She seemed to be making as little eye contact with me as possible. It wasn't like I was bothering her, either. She came over and started talking to me first. She could have walked away at any time. My analytical mind is always trying to figure out what the problem is. My eyes are very large with long eyelashes. I wonder if that makes them uncomfortable -- like I'm an alien or something. My eyes are dry, so I tend to get red lines on the whites. Maybe that makes them uncomfortable. I always wear make-up. Maybe I'm wearing too much eye make-up. Strangely, it seems to be a problem I have more with other women than with men, unless you count my husband. Is there some unwritten rule that you make less eye contact with people of your own sex? What else could I be doing wrong?

Malachi_Rothschild
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2007, 12:57 pm

I have that problem too. Either I'm not looking at the person enough, or I force myself and end up looking at them too much. Sometimes I'll try to look at them then look away every few seconds, but that feels awkward too.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 12:59 pm

I have found in my case that because eye contact isn't natural for me, I have a tendency to be too intense or look like I'm staring. I try not to but it happens frequently and I find people looking away. It is also natural, I have discovered, for people to look away every few seconds but it isn't planned. I have to time these things and I'm sure other people notice this.
It could be that is what you are doing, too. Handy hint (people generally hold eye contact for 3 to5 seconds before shifting there eyes to other things without moving there heads and it is usually that long before they re-establish the eye contact) And yes, I have timed it. :lol:

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 1:04 pm

I end up looking through people or staring at an odd facial feature, which probably can be noticed by them, but nobody has ever told me so. I just wear sunglasses all the time. 8) That way I can look wherever I want, but keep my head in the direction it is desired by other people for their own hang-ups.

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2007, 1:50 pm

blessedmom wrote:
I have found in my case that because eye contact isn't natural for me, I have a tendency to be too intense or look like I'm staring. I try not to but it happens frequently and I find people looking away. It is also natural, I have discovered, for people to look away every few seconds but it isn't planned. I have to time these things and I'm sure other people notice this.
It could be that is what you are doing, too. Handy hint (people generally hold eye contact for 3 to5 seconds before shifting there eyes to other things without moving there heads and it is usually that long before they re-establish the eye contact) And yes, I have timed it. :lol:

I'll try the 3-5 second rule. How do they know, though, that you're not also looking away, while their eye contact is broken for those few seconds? I guess they're expecting me to be the one to initiate the break once in a while too. So complicated!

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 1:53 pm

kiki3 wrote:
So complicated!

Indeed! Also fruitless, pointlees, and futile.

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2007, 1:59 pm

Trigger11 wrote:
I end up looking through people or staring at an odd facial feature, which probably can be noticed by them, but nobody has ever told me so. I just wear sunglasses all the time. 8) That way I can look wherever I want, but keep my head in the direction it is desired by other people for their own hang-ups.

I tried wearing sunglasses yesterday, since I was socializing outdoors. It didn't last long, though. I've never been good with sunglasses. They make me feel like I'm being tested to see if I can still perform my normal duties with the added handicap of something that alters my vision. I know it sounds strange, but that's the best explanation I can give. I feel dizzy and weighed down when I try to walk around while wearing them. Even while driving, I feel like it's part of some video game where I've made it up to the more difficult level where I'm now required to drive with an impairment. I'm just not seeing as naturally/clearly.

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 2:37 pm

kiki3 wrote:
Trigger11 wrote:

I tried wearing sunglasses yesterday, since I was socializing outdoors. It didn't last long, though. I've never been good with sunglasses. They make me feel like I'm being tested to see if I can still perform my normal duties with the added handicap of something that alters my vision. I know it sounds strange, but that's the best explanation I can give. I feel dizzy and weighed down when I try to walk around while wearing them. Even while driving, I feel like it's part of some video game where I've made it up to the more difficult level where I'm now required to drive with an impairment. I'm just not seeing as naturally/clearly.

Interesting analogy. I see better and more clearly with them. Any light in front of me or behind me is an impairment. I go around all day as if someone was holding a flashlight in front of my face. So wearing them is not to be cool, although I do look cool in them, but rather to cope with this handicap. Unfortunately, society does not look too keenly on me for wearing them indoors. I do have excellent night vision.

Last edited by Trigger11 on 13 Aug 2007, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 3:00 pm

I can tell you because I looked into it.

Myth: You must look at someone when they talk to you.

Not true. If you do not look away after acknowledging what a person is said, it can be viewed as a treat or a best odd.

What you need to do is just glance at them for a few seconds, to acknowledge what they have said. Also a good idea to throw in their name every now and then when responding. They haven't forgotten it; just they lie hearing it for some reason.

The duration that you will have direct eye contact differs on the situation, like romance is longer (apparently).

What you'll get used to with NTs is they often say one thing, and do something different.

Eye contact info

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 3:05 pm

Could be your gaze is intense.

Could also be that you've become very aware of how other people respond and you could, possibly, be a little bit over-sensitive to their looking away? Perhaps you are perceiving it as more of an issue than it is? Just a thought.... :)

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 3:17 pm

Do you know that you are supposed to periodically look away when making eye contact? I believe what my friend told me was a quick gaze up and to the right, every few moments.

When I first started making eye contact, I too asked, "If I am supposed to be looking them in the eye, than why are they looking away while I'm making eye contact." I hadn't known that was a normal part of eye contact.

It took a little practice before I could get the hang of the "flicking." At first, it seemed like the moment I broke eye contact, I was asked what I was looking at. But it didn't take long before I got the hang of it.

I learned I needed to make eye contact last summer. In June two separate people commented on how good my eye contact was. In fact my eye contact was one of the reasons the psychologist who diagnosed me as being an aspie originally said she didn't think I appeared to be one.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 3:22 pm

I find the eye contact issue very frustrating as I am now hyper aware of my inability to do it properly.
Apart from 1 or 2 people I just cannot maintain eye contact even for a few seconds, it just makes me feel so fiercely uncomfortable.
It is funny how you don't realise you have an issue until you know about AS.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

13 Aug 2007, 3:27 pm

just glance at the ears, instead of the eyes. thats all you need to know :D

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 3:28 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
I find the eye contact issue very frustrating as I am now hyper aware of my inability to do it properly.
Apart from 1 or 2 people I just cannot maintain eye contact even for a few seconds, it just makes me feel so fiercely uncomfortable.

I actually realized I had this "problem" before I discovered AS. Now I have an answer as to why.

1974 - Three-years old, not much else going on. Still white-blonde hair and a terror to my sister.

Last edited by Trigger11 on 13 Aug 2007, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 3:33 pm

Trigger11 wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:

I actually realized I had this "problem" before I discovered AS. Now I have an answer as to why.

I suppose it is just something I never thought about. Always had too many other things to worry about. And in truth, I talked to so few people I wouldn't have had much chance to notice it, lol.

As to ears...Richard, the person you are talking to is bound to notice if you are looking at their ears and not their eyes, lol, I have tried looking at various parts of a person's face, and I am sure it must be really obvious

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 10:10 pm

People usually initiate eye contact when one person starts to talk. It’s just a way of telling the person talking that you are listening and interested in what they have to say. After a few seconds you can look away, but you should re-initiate after any pause in the conversation just to tell the person that you are still listening. Sometimes people will pause on purpose every few seconds to make sure other people are still listening and interested. At this point you’re supposed to re-initiate eye contact as soon as the talking resumes. If you don’t it’s interpreted that you are bored or no longer interested.

It’s also good to keep your head pointed in the general direction of the person who is talking and nod occasionally even when you aren’t making eye contact. This tells them you are thinking but still engaged. Whenever you start to say something you should always re-initiate eye contact and talk directly at the other person. I have a bad habit of looking like I’m talking to the wall or floor sometimes. It’s okay to look away after you’ve been talking for a few seconds, but you always have to re-initiate after any kind of pause and you shouldn’t talk for more than 20-30 seconds straight without having a pause to make sure people are still paying attention.

Not sure if this is completely correct or universal. It’s just what I observe and probably varies somewhat. There are some NT people who never break eye contact, but I find it uncomfortable. The majority seem to look away after a few seconds and then resume after a pause like I discussed above.