Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

cool09
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2023, 10:36 am

I've taken every SSRI, MAOi, Mood stabilizer and many anti-psychotics for my depression/anxiety. Only paxil worked for 6 yrs and geodon helped at the beginning and recently saphris stopped my anxiety in Nov. but has worn off. Benzos don't really work. Had ECT 4 times since 1992 with no relief.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 9:05 pm

^A lot of the time ECT is used to lift the mood in the short term while waiting for antidepressant medication to take effect. That's my experience with it anyway.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 8:27 am

Edna3362 wrote:
Nothing.
Not even for potential comorbidities.

Same.

No alcohol or caffeine either.

Probably the only reason I'm able to do that is because I've withdrawn from all forms of human contact in the outside world other than immediate family. I wouldn't be able to cope in a work situation for long.

Generally I'm quite content and I know I can now trust that if my mood crashes, it will soon stabilise by itself. Also, for every day I'm down, I'll have as many days up. You don't always get those 'up' days in return straight away, but you can't have one without the other. I think people tend to forget how often they've been up when they're down and vice-versa.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 3:57 pm

i dont take any meds for my autism symptoms because i dont want to

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2023, 5:58 am

Theoretically no medicine helps autism. That's why for people with more severe issues like depression, schizophrenia, the doctors would just shrug if you mention you might have autism, too. Like one the of above posters I take a tiny bit of anti-psychotic med for my anxiety. Tried many things that didn't work at all. The med just dulls me a bit so I'm not so sensitive to things. It also helps me to socialize. My doctor thinks it's no more than placebo and I think he might be right.

What really helps me is an overall low-stress lifestyle, healthy eating, and meditation. When you accept yourself, your limits and capabilities your life would start to feel under control again.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2023, 7:40 am

I take Sertraline, which doesn't stop my anxiety but it does help with mood regulation.

Shadweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Mar 2023, 4:09 am

Daisy100 wrote:
Hi
I am new here. Im 58 years young, and i dont have a firmal diagnosis yet. I now know i have an ASD. After all, we know ourselves better than anyone, dont we.
I have been treated by my GP for anxiety and depmost of my adult life, but still i have struggled in so many areas of my life. In approx 2019 i decided i wanted to experience life free from antidepressants before i die, so i started reducing my dose of VENSIR XL, a slow releasing antidepressant. My starting dose was 150mg and my current dose is 95mg per day. I still couldnt work out why i felt so dreadful. Overwhelm, brain fog, melt downs etc. I gained access to my medical records in December 2022. I wanted to try to make sense of my behaviours and feelings and how i was feeling. Looking through my notes, i was reminded that my then GP referred me for urgent advise to the CMHT, as sge described that i showed consistant symptoms now and in childhood of an ASD. This was not folllowed up and i forgot about it. I have now been in touch with my now GP and requested an assessment. I am now thinking that my symtoms of an ASD are more apparent due to my reducing the dose. This was highlighted at the begining of Hanuary 2023, when i discovered my partner lied to me. I dumoed him and then had a terrible melt down which i am still suffering.
So im wondering if i have an ASD and i am feeling like this, it may be that it wouldnt be good for me to exoerience life without antidepressants. Perhaps this is the reason why i have functioned as i have throughout life despite regular meltdowns. But what medication is good for treating an ASD? I understand no one pill suits all, as an ASD affects us differently, but i am curious about where to go from here while i wait to see a medical proffesional.
I have been switched from one AD to another most of my life. I cant remember which helped most. At age of 6 years doctor wrote in my notes, if doesnt settle prescribe Valium; mother says is bad tempered and moody. My medical notes over the past 40 years question bipolar, hypochondria, borderline personality disorder, dysthymia, major deppresive disorder, but no formal diagnosis.
I am exhausted physically and mentally

How things have changed to think a Dr would consider prescribing Valium to a 6 year old. Valium and other benzos do work great for anxiety, but tolerance and dependence are real problems.

As others have said there is no medication for Autism, only for the commonly ocurring co-morbidities like anxiety and depression.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

26 Mar 2023, 3:46 pm

Adderall for my severe ADHD. Otherwise I’m looking at tapering off of sertraline because it’s not really helping.