Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Daisy100
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Feb 2023, 3:37 pm

Hi
I am new here. Im 58 years young, and i dont have a firmal diagnosis yet. I now know i have an ASD. After all, we know ourselves better than anyone, dont we.
I have been treated by my GP for anxiety and depmost of my adult life, but still i have struggled in so many areas of my life. In approx 2019 i decided i wanted to experience life free from antidepressants before i die, so i started reducing my dose of VENSIR XL, a slow releasing antidepressant. My starting dose was 150mg and my current dose is 95mg per day. I still couldnt work out why i felt so dreadful. Overwhelm, brain fog, melt downs etc. I gained access to my medical records in December 2022. I wanted to try to make sense of my behaviours and feelings and how i was feeling. Looking through my notes, i was reminded that my then GP referred me for urgent advise to the CMHT, as sge described that i showed consistant symptoms now and in childhood of an ASD. This was not folllowed up and i forgot about it. I have now been in touch with my now GP and requested an assessment. I am now thinking that my symtoms of an ASD are more apparent due to my reducing the dose. This was highlighted at the begining of Hanuary 2023, when i discovered my partner lied to me. I dumoed him and then had a terrible melt down which i am still suffering.
So im wondering if i have an ASD and i am feeling like this, it may be that it wouldnt be good for me to exoerience life without antidepressants. Perhaps this is the reason why i have functioned as i have throughout life despite regular meltdowns. But what medication is good for treating an ASD? I understand no one pill suits all, as an ASD affects us differently, but i am curious about where to go from here while i wait to see a medical proffesional.
I have been switched from one AD to another most of my life. I cant remember which helped most. At age of 6 years doctor wrote in my notes, if doesnt settle prescribe Valium; mother says is bad tempered and moody. My medical notes over the past 40 years question bipolar, hypochondria, borderline personality disorder, dysthymia, major deppresive disorder, but no formal diagnosis.
I am exhausted physically and mentally

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

05 Feb 2023, 5:09 pm

Tianeptine helped me the most, as it reduces stress and increases concentration/focus. It also increases drive. Though its antidepressant effect is a little weak. So during a phase of depression an additional antidepressant may be necessary.

Tianeptine is available in some nootropics shops without prescription. Recommended dose is 12.5mg 3 times a day. Problem is that it can cause insomnia issues.

I suggest staying away from Valium, except as an emergency medication. It causes dependence and can reduce cognitive capabilities in the long term.

Daisy100
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Feb 2023, 1:14 pm

Hi
Thank you for your reply. I am pleased you have found something that helps. It doesnt look like this drug is available in the UK x

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2023, 2:43 pm

When I was about 21 I was diagnosed with epilepsy on which my neurologist put me on ethosuximide for simple absence seizures which progressed from temporal lobe epilepsy. I ended up on 800 mg of carbamazepine for seizures which the medication left me feeling like a zombie or often drowsy. I was still having 2 seizures a month. I told my neurologist in 1991 that I wanted to switch my anti epilepsy medication to cannabis as cannabis is linked to epileptic remission and was doing research. The usual medicines that were found on prescription for epilepsy, anxiety could cause cognitive defects or temporarily reduce the intelligence or functioning. I started using cannabis in 1992 which was first smoking because of quickest route to the brain for defusing an epileptic seizure. It also worked on cptsd as well. It was when I was using cannabis that I became aware that I have Asperger syndrome (confirmed in 2003). In 2008 I stopped smoking cannabis as it can attract the wrong type of people. I started having seizures then I was introduced to cannabis edibles by my brother. I found that it works in harmony with my Asperger syndrome and caused in me an epileptic remission now lasting 12 years. I know it is not for everyone like some prescription medicines are not for everyone, and another thing after I have eaten spacecake I am still autistic. And I don't mind being autistic. :idea:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2023, 8:04 pm

I was diagnosed with tonic-clonic epilepsy when I was 8. Over the course of time since then, I have taken many medications, but currently am on three anti-epileptic prescriptions Lamictal, Keppra, and Depakote. A fourth prescription was suggested, but I decided against it the prescription being Topamax. I use pillboxes and an app on my phone that helps me keep track if I really took my prescriptions or not.

I will visit my current neurologist on March 17th.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2023, 9:50 pm

Vensir, is that venlafaxine?

I've tried many antidepressants since 2004 and the one that's kept me stable since 2013 is moclobemide (Aurorix). No side effects and unlike other MAOIs, it doesn't require me to restrict my diet.

I think it is available in the UK.

Urselius
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2023, 11:15 am

There is no medication effective for autism, as it is caused by the way our brains are wired and work. Medication is really only useful for comorbidities, such as depression and anxiety. Of course, medication is developed for the neurotypical brain, because it is in the majority, and such medications may not work on autistic brains in the same way. I was once prescribed sertraline (a serotonin reuptake inhibitor) for depression, all it did for me is give me horrendous daily migraines (with visual aura), so I stopped taking it after 10 days. I found CBD capsules (legal cannabinoids - the chemical that gives a high is removed) helped with anxiety.

SunshineEmma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2023, 2:27 pm

I've not found any particularly helpful. I was on Citalopram, then Sertraline for anxiety and depression, but made me worse.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Mar 2023, 5:15 pm

As others have said, there aren't medications for autism as such.

I have been on the following antidepressants:

- Pregabaline
- Fluoxetine
- Mirtazapine (still on)
- Sertraline (still on)
- Venlafaxine

Pregabaline I wasn't sure had any real effect.
Fluoxetine worked quite well at first but I think that was probably mostly placebo.
Mirtazapine is a miracle for sleep, but has some pretty serious side effects too (it's too good at helping me sleep, it massively boosts appetite, restless leg syndrome).
Sertraline has had the biggest impact upon my mood. It had some unpleasant side effects (chiefly severe nausea, secondarily interfering with sleep) but these went away quite quickly.
Venlafaxine messed me up so much that I had to stop it before I could get up to the recommended dose.

I don't think my case is helpful to anyone else really, antidepressants are particular to the individual in ways we don't understand.

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2023, 11:45 pm

Olanzapine.

Olanzapine reduces (it does not eradicate it completely) my tendency to talk to myself or have conversations with imaginary friends.

Thing is, I have schizotypal personality disorder, and Olanzapine is an anti-psychotic.

According to my psychological profile, I don't have autism, but I think the psychologist is wrong. I think I ALSO have autism. Olanzapine only helps with the schizotypal part.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2023, 7:01 am

long before my ASD diagnosis I had diagnoses of depression and anxiety. Effexor helped me for about 10 years, since diagnosis and doing a lot of "emotional homework" from that new perspective, (I got answers to so many "Whys" of the painful past when i found out i was/am autistic) I have not taken anti depressants and slowly the anxiety is not as bad, still getting better (diagnosed at age 68) this is 3 years later. Wishing you all the best as you uncover your true self with your new understanding of just about everything.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2023, 5:58 pm

I have been thinking a lot about this myself. I tend towards hyperthymia (overly energetic) so am on a mood stabilizer; it may have been helpful during a recent rough patch, but am not sure and I am fairly sure that it's not needed now if I manage my exercise and natural light well. I've never been treated directly for ASD even though I spend hours a day managing trigger/overwhelm (stress response) and anxiety. I think these are a far larger problem than the hyperthymia, but the drs go for the hyperthymia (does my cheeriness with a dark edge annoy them? or is it really that much of a risk to me?). I would like something for the highly reactive and slowly recovering sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system. Are those medicines mentioned in posts above for that? Next month I will talk to my doctor again. In the meantime, I have pills to take on-demand for anxiety and sleep, which I have used 2-3 times total in the past month. I'm not a big fan of pills b/c I am the hypersensitive ASD type and have severe side effects at very low dosages (dr: "this is what we give 4-year-olds!", me: "poor 4-year-olds".).

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2023, 10:17 pm

Nothing.
Not even for potential comorbidities.

My developmental issues are not like the usual comorbidities, nor it leaded into comorbidities.

But yeah, I'd be more than pleased if I get rid of the fog in my head and un-F* the programmings of my upbringing.

The things I never had until past puberty, the things that gets worse with time.
Because it's likely ignored because the diagnosis as an excuse for other deficits that is not autism, it overshadows other issues that could've been prevented in the first place.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 11:42 pm

Well, everybody's needs are different.
But this is what is currently working for me, after a few years of trial and error, and trying to find options with the least side effects or withdrawal issues:

1. Ketogenic diet. (very low carb-high fat diet. No grains, no added sugar, no processed food, limited root veg, limited fruit sugar - replace with fats) - helps stabilise mood and improves gut health, if you can stick to it, or that is my experience. Check with GP first as not safe for everyone. I take a fish oil capsule daily also.

2. Melatonin 2mg modified release in evening - for sleep. For me this is more of a menopause issue than an autism one.

3. CBD oil 40-50mg oral - makes it a little easier to break out of rumination cycles and calm down after stress. Avoid taking daily as you develop tolerance really fast and it loses effect, I save for when I need it e.g. to head off a meltdown or calm down after a particularly stressful day. I sometimes take double dose or more and never had any significant side effect. But expensive here as not subsidised like other medications.

4. Mirtazapine 7.5mg - for sleep. At higher doses this is used as an antidepressant but at this very low dose it acts more like an antihistamine and it gives me good sleep for about 10 or 11 hours. I only use this occasionally if I've built up a sleep debt - and not if I've got work the next day, as it makes me drowsy. Also it has other side effects like hunger / carb cravings, which messes with 1. So I try to avoid taking until really needed.

5. Monitoring. I use a Fitbit (fitness tracker) to check my overnight Heart Rate Variability (HRV). Low HRV is an indicator that the sympathetic nervous system is too dominant over the parasympathetic. That means your body may be stuck in a state of stress or arousal. Over time I have managed to bring my HRV up from about 25 to 35 ms by looking after myself. This helps.

Hope that is helpful to you.

Note. Please be careful if you have been on antidepressants for several years as it can be very hard to come off without withdrawal symptoms. You need to taper off slowly - it might take a couple of months or more. Check with your GP how to do it - but don't trust them if they say to come straight off, that can have really bad effects, some GPs don't realise this.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 11:54 pm

I had no luck with psych meds. Particularly with SSRI's I'd have personality loss over time, sometimes over months and sometimes immediately depending on the SSRI. Any other meds, like antipsychotics or antianxiety similar story and similar destabilizing effects.

The only med I'd say otherwise on is Neurontin, in my own cases that was very much mood/cognition neutral and helped reduce both anxiety and generalized pain / peripheral nerve excitement that I'd feel seasonally back in my 20's.

What I do now:

Lion's Mane (mushroom) - lots of benefit and improved cohesion. Really any good complex that has this as the main mushroom with others like cordyceps, reishi, etc. works well. For example I took Primal Herb NeuroShroom for a long time but I've now been doing a monthly order of MUD / WTR - I'll say more on that further down.

B vitamin complexes - similar to the above but provides additional support after either trauma or intense retriggering.

Half dose of a men's daily vitamin - I keep it to half because I find if I take a whole one daily I start feeling 'off' after a while and I manage to make up the rest dietarily.

What I've cut out:

Coffee / direct caffeine - I had hiatal hernia by 25 and I came to the conclusion that it was due to long-term effects of a lot of caffeine. I was on proton pump inhibitors for over 10 years, acid reflux kept getting worse, and it took quitting coffee for a few years and taking aloe vera juice on the side to both get off of the Nexium / Prilosec and verify that my problems were based on that. I'm also still taking Excellacor enzymes 3x per day and MoveMD supplements because I was having shoulder problems, particularly with sleeping, and it's helped. I at least partially blame long term proton pump inhibitors and calcium leeching both from those and the amount of coffee I was drinking (and the root cause for needing the proton pump in inhibitors to begin with was the coffee).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

GMW73
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2023, 7:00 am

I've been on a couple of different antidepressants - for anxiety / depression, and long before ASD was considered a possibility:

Citalopram (SSRI) which I didn't find helpful.

Imipramine (older tricyclic) which I did feel gave me more energy and clearer thinking, contrary to what it said on the box. I took it until it was no longer available. Not sure if they're making it again, but if I went back on meds for anxiety / depression in future, this would be the one I'd start with. Everyone's different, but it worked for me.