Page 3 of 14 [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 3:00 am

auntblabby wrote:
some folks find meaning in money, and for them that is sufficient. to each his own. i myself would like to find more meaning in money.

In the end, money means nothing.
You can't take it with you. :wink:

Ahhh.
Glorious oblivion...<sigh> :heart:

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 3:03 am

Pepe wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

lol....they will have plenty of money to "compensate them" most likely.

My grandpappy skunk used to say:
"Money doesn't bring "meaning"...
Meaning brings meaning..." 8)

I do have meaning in my life besides money.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 3:04 am

the more i think about it, the more this life does remind me of basic training. the drill instructors are our bosses and superiors and school bullies etc. we are confined to the base [earth] for the duration. and in many places in our formative years we even have to wear uniforms. only we can't play hookie from this school, we can't go AWOL, we can't desert. we're IN IT for the duration.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 3:06 am

if you offer me a billion odd buck$ to incarnate next time, i'll take that. in that environment of ease and security, even somebody like i am at present could raise children after a fashion and make sure they turn out ok.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 3:31 am

Holy shmoly.
Good thing we're all entitled to our own opinions here and because of choice.

Yes I wanted children and I'm thankful I had children despite my ex being a d***.
I'm thankful I adopted.
I'm thankful I had the experience of miscarriage, even though conception and loss were both traumatic.
Every life is a gift and every child helped me to grow.

It's not all about me though.
It's about them being incredible human beings, and me having the honour to know them.

If I didn't want children that would be my choice and I would have acted accordingly.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 3:57 am

auntblabby wrote:
the more i think about it, the more this life does remind me of basic training. the drill instructors are our bosses and superiors and school bullies etc. we are confined to the base [earth] for the duration. and in many places in our formative years we even have to wear uniforms. only we can't play hookie from this school, we can't go AWOL, we can't desert. we're IN IT for the duration.

Actually, we can.
But I see no pressing need to do so. 8)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 3:59 am

Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Actually, we can.

one way or another, we get sent right back.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 4:07 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Holy shmoly.
Good thing we're all entitled to our own opinions here and because of choice.

Yes I wanted children and I'm thankful I had children despite my ex being a d***.
I'm thankful I adopted.
I'm thankful I had the experience of miscarriage, even though conception and loss were both traumatic.
Every life is a gift and every child helped me to grow.

It's not all about me though.
It's about them being incredible human beings, and me having the honour to know them.

If I didn't want children that would be my choice and I would have acted accordingly.

"To each their own."
"Whatever floats your boat...bakes your kookies..." :shrug:

Yes, people are entitled to their opinion.
And remember, "Opinions are like a***holes...Everyone has one..." :mrgreen:

BTW, From an evolutionary/psychological POV, ALL organisms are selfish.
Even altruists simply satiate their emotional needs.

I have no interest in interfering in ppl's choices.
I expect others to give me the same courtesy. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 4:08 am

auntblabby wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Actually, we can.

one way or another, we get sent right back.

Not the uber-enlightened...
...like moi... 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 4:11 am

auntblabby wrote:
if you offer me a billion odd buck$ to incarnate next time, i'll take that. in that environment of ease and security, even somebody like i am at present could raise children after a fashion and make sure they turn out ok.

My grandpappy skunk used to say:
"I'd rather be a rich unhappy skunk than a poor unhappy one."

That was one wise skunk. :heart: :mrgreen:

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 4:15 am

I'm not sure if I should chime in here or not, yet here I am. I never tried to have kids, I actively tried to not have them. My reasons back then... I didn't want the responsibility. However, despite using two types of birth control, pregnancies happened. My decision? Do the best I could for my kids. Now they're grown and out of the house and looking back I can say that it was a really cool experience and then some.

When you have children you get the chance to watch someone grow from this helpless little blob to an actual person. You get to watch these little beings grow and develop their own thoughts, preferences, sense of humor... you get to be there through good, bad, all between. You get to watch them become these people unique unto themselves and see all the ways that they shine. I lack the ability to really do that all justice with my speech here. I don't know why people choose to have children, but if they do, I think that kind of stuff should be up near the top of the list for reasons why just because it's so freakin awesome.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 4:20 am

i will always wonder if i reproduced, would i have contributed to the delinquency of a minor/made a psychopath/catatonic, or made the next Volodymyr Zelenskyy? or at least something on the positive side?

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 4:43 am

Personally I kind of agree with Pepe but I hold it more as a personal stance than a universal one. I've been for the most part of my life, life dysphoric. So naturally it doesn't make sence for me to wish to bring children to life just so they can experience dysphoria. Maybe they won't, but that's how life has been for me as an experience, I don't know any other experience of life. It wouldn't make any sence for me to want to have children.

Sometimes I see the desire for having children as a programmed behaviour of automata. This is what we are instinctively hardwired to do, not unlike other animals and living organisms. I believe that the self conscious intellectual choise to not have children may be an act that manifests true free will. It may be an act that hints at a separation of the intelect from the determinism of the material world.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 6:11 am

FleaOfTheChill wrote:

When you have children you get the chance to watch someone grow from this helpless little blob to an actual person. You get to watch these little beings grow and develop their own thoughts, preferences, sense of humor... you get to be there through good, bad, all between. You get to watch them become these people unique unto themselves and see all the ways that they shine.

But, but, but...
..."Life's a b***h and then you die." 8O :skull: :mrgreen:

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 6:13 am

Opinions are like as*holes. Some are just plain wrong. 8)

And that's alright. If there was no wrong, there would be no right. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 6:22 am

Dengashinobi wrote:
Personally I kind of agree with Pepe but I hold it more as a personal stance than a universal one.

I used reason to realise there was no intrinsic meaning in life.
It isn't hard to do if you aren't controlled by emotional needs.