Koch Political Machine to Fight to Deny Trump Nomination

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 7:06 pm

Time

Quote:
The Koch political machine, which fuels the most powerful donor network in conservative politics, is declaring itself as be part of the NeverTrump effort for 2024, aiming to deny former President Donald Trump a third nomination for the White House.

The declaration, released in a recent memo to staffers and activists, never explicitly mentions Trump, but it’s abundantly clear from the tone in Americans for Prosperity CEO Emily Seidel’s message that the grassroots behemoth she leads has no plans of being a passive player in Republican politics when it comes to the White House. “Our country must move past the current political situation—we’ve got to turn the page on the past several years,” she wrote. “If we want to elect better people, we need better candidates. And if we want better candidates, we’ve got to get involved in elections earlier and in more primaries.”

Americans for Prosperity is perhaps the most forward-facing arm of the Koch political orbit, organized more than two decades ago by billionaires Charles and David Koch. They went all-in on Mitt Romney’s campaign in 2012, a move many of the network’s members to this day regret. The groups were no fans of Trump in 2016 but many of their donors were, so they officially stayed out of the primary after flirting with a flex. By the time Trump 2020 arrived, the groups had seen mixed records on their goals—tax cuts and criminal justice reform were good to their minds; the administration’s efforts on immigration and isolationism were not—and instead stayed largely out of the race.

But, in the intervening time, many of the Trump apologists in the Koch orbit have soured on the ex-President. The deadly Capitol attack on Jan. 6, 2021, was a last straw for many, and the threat posed by a leader without respect for the rule of law—a key tenant for the free-market donors central to the Koch orbit—was too much to ignore. So, heading into the early days of the 2024 jockeying, it’s clear that the massive vault of cash controlled by these groups is up for grabs. It alone won’t be enough to win anyone the nomination—and maybe not enough to deny it to Trump—but it’s a force that doesn’t have a peer.

“The loudest voice in each political party sets the tone for the entire election. In a presidential year, that’s the presidential candidate,” Seidel wrote. “And to write a new chapter for our country, we need to turn the page on the past. So the best thing for the country would be to have a president in 2025 who represents a new chapter.”

A new chapter, to be clear, is one where Trump is not bullying the Republican Party into submission for another round. In fact, Seidel all but taunted Trump as a loser: “AFP Action is prepared to support a candidate in the Republican presidential primary who can lead our country forward, and who can win.” (The emphasis on win was Seidel’s.)

That’s why the Koch machine’s announcement that they won’t stay neutral for a third round is notable—and why Trump’s team in Florida would do well to note their newest foe.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 7:33 pm

First of all I will state I do not support the Koch Political Machine but I feel they are acting in a practical and pragmatic manner. They want to see conservative candidates win. Trump has shown he only cares about himself and not the country; he tried to set up a dictatorship. By his election denying he has shown he has no use for democratic ideals and his running for president would split the conservative vote ensuring the democrats win.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 6:55 am

It would seem the Kochs support "traditional" Republicanism unfortunately that flavor comes across as élitist and in 2016 populism triumphed. In the past they could pull in rank-and-file voters with appeals to evangelicals however that trend seems to have weakened since the 90s. So I wonder where this will go.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 9:47 am

This just means that the Koch brothers are disloyal. :lmao:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 11:18 am

Honey69 wrote:

One should not be loyal to a politician. One should support a politician if said politician is both for your agenda and will be effective advancing it. If the politician changes the agenda he is supporting or becomes ineffective at advancing that agenda one should withdraw support.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 8:08 pm

Honey69 wrote:

Disloyal to...what...exactly?

Trump himself is disloyal to traditional GOP ideals, and disloyal to democracy itself.

The Koch brothers represent a certain brand of Libertarian Conservatism that is in fact always at odds with Trump's adhoc brand of Conservative populist rabble rousing, and Trump's pandering to Evangelicals. The Koch were for same sex marriage, for example. The Kochs were not really allies of the religous right the way Trump pretended to be (before Trump himself had his current falling out with Evangelicals and is now losing them too).