Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 12:00 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
7.8 is a VERY strong earthquake.

An earthquake that was only Magnitude 7 (Richter Scale) killed a few hundred thousand people in Haiti in 2010.

However, many buildings in Haiti are poorly constructed, even the Presidential Palace was severely damaged.

Almost the same time as the Haiti quake, there was a 9.0 quake in Chile, but only a few hundred were killed. Chile has some of the strictest building codes in the world.

Wow, a 9.0 not too many structures would survive that kind of Natures violence :skull:

where ever you go ,there you are

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 12:04 pm

Seismic design and upgrades have been HUGE THINGS here over the last couple decades. Most buildings will withstand fairly big quakes - well - their core structures will.. I've read that some expect that the glass exteriors of buildings will shatter and rain down on the streets leaving meters of broken glass everywhere. Apparently Vancouver is known as "The city of glass," for all it's glass faced buildings - having not spent significant time in other major cities I had never really thought about the fact that others cities' buildings aren't covered in glass like they are here. THAT's why the last place I wanna be during a major earthquake is downtown.

Chances are buildings in any European city are older than here, probably not built to the same modern design standards.. so, they come tumbling down easier when the ground shakes.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 5:10 pm

Holy Shmoly, Sky News report just said possibly 60,000 dead 8O ???

It seems like only yesterday The_Face_of_Boo that I was reading about the damage your office took in a blast.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 5:13 pm

The “official” count is still 3,800 dead…..but I’m sure this will rise.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 8:01 am

It’s now “over 5,000” in Turkey and Syria.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 2:25 pm

Death toll over 33,000 now. :/

Shoddy construction to blame for a lot of the buildings that collapsed. Contractors & local government officials are all to blame. Inspections should have never been passed throughout the build process.

https://torontosun.com/news/world/turke ... pass-33000

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 5:14 am

Over 40,000 confirmed deaths now. :(

It was heartwarming seeing stories of people successfully rescued, like this girl rescued after 7½ days. But it looks like they won't find many more survivors, and the UN expects the death toll to rise dramatically.

Meanwhile, Turkey have already started arresting people in connection with the buildings that collapsed.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 1:52 pm

Any reports of how many people are missing/unaccounted for? Just curious if the death toll is expected to skyrocket up over 100,000 people - 40k is a lot.. but 100k+, wow.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 1:21 am

^ I don't know. According to news reports, authorities in both Turkey and Syria have not yet reported the number of people missing. The death toll is apparently almost 44,000 right now.
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-ea ... 023-02-16/

Amazingly they're still finding people alive in the rubble, including a man who was rescued after 261 hours trapped in a collapsed building.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog ... ears-44000

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 9:42 am

^ I wonder if these late survivors had access to food/water by cheer luck.

I've prepared an emergency bag with snacks, water, and valuables.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 10:17 am

Seems the focus is on the deaths in this earthquake, having been through at least three in my life of varying magnitudes. The people whom survive these things are genuinely affected , Almost like a version of PTSD ,
not just from building getting destroyed or loss of lives. But You can become affected by low frequency types of vibrations of all types. For a very long time . Then aftershocks . make you very uneasy. Each one you find people freezing in place to see if the shaking will get worse...And whether it will continue on...? :( Almost like becoming neurotic to unexpected vibrations . The survivors are surely going through their own version of hell. :skull:

where ever you go ,there you are

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 10:39 am

Jakki wrote:
Seems the focus is on the deaths in this earthquake, having been through at least three in my life of varying magnitudes. The people whom survive these things are genuinely affected , Almost like a version of PTSD ,
not just from building getting destroyed or loss of lives. But You can become affected by low frequency types of vibrations of all types. For a very long time . Then aftershocks . make you very uneasy. Each one you find people freezing in place to see if the shaking will get worse...And whether it will continue on...? :( Almost like becoming neurotic to unexpected vibrations . The survivors are surely going through their own version of hell. :skull:

Things is, not only aftershocks are happening, there had been at least 100+ aftershocks, many we felt it here...
https://earthquaketrack.com/tr-31-antakya/recent

What's worse? Some of these were NOT aftersocks and came from local faults in the area, 9 where the center was lebanon, I fear these may be foreshocks.

https://earthquaketrack.com/lb-04-beirut/recent

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 10:59 pm

My thoughts and prayers go out to those countries.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 10:13 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Seismic design and upgrades have been HUGE THINGS here over the last couple decades. Most buildings will withstand fairly big quakes - well - their core structures will.. I've read that some expect that the glass exteriors of buildings will shatter and rain down on the streets leaving meters of broken glass everywhere. Apparently Vancouver is known as "The city of glass," for all it's glass faced buildings - having not spent significant time in other major cities I had never really thought about the fact that others cities' buildings aren't covered in glass like they are here. THAT's why the last place I wanna be during a major earthquake is downtown.

Chances are buildings in any European city are older than here, probably not built to the same modern design standards.. so, they come tumbling down easier when the ground shakes.

I was in the San Francisco financial district on the 12th floor in the 89 quake. We were lucky not as much glass fell as expected, and none from my building, but it was still scary as ^&@!. What we hadn't anticipated was the freeway damage. A lot of changes happened from what was learned on both personal and societal levels.

It is a huge shame that the countries affected by this recent quake didn't take any of those lessons to heart. The needless loss of life is heartbreaking. I pray for the people there.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 11:35 pm

The ‘89 SF, luckily, was “only” a 6.9 on the Richter scale.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 12:58 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The ‘89 SF, luckily, was “only” a 6.9 on the Richter scale.

True.

And each point is an exponential difference.

But its the closest reference I have, personally.