Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 6:32 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
The ‘89 SF, luckily, was “only” a 6.9 on the Richter scale.

True.

And each point is an exponential difference.

But its the closest reference I have, personally.

We in the Northeast will be in big trouble if we have even a moderate earthquake, something like 5 something on the Richter scale. We are not all like California but we do have faults and have had moderate earthquakes in the past. Some of newer office buildings been built to standard but a lot glass falling on Manhattan streets will be awful. We are an old area. A lot of our infrastructure is over 50 years old as is most of our housing stock. Big earthquakes are seen as something that happens over there.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 6:44 am

I once had a prophetic dream about an earthquake where falling glass was everywhere from high buildings. Is not something I would have thought about as I have never personally experienced it. (I have experienced two earthquakes. A 4.6 and a 4.2 and they were scary enough when one does not expect them. Can imagine each step on the scale being many times more than the last, how scary a big one would be!)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 8:05 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I once had a prophetic dream about an earthquake where falling glass was everywhere from high buildings. Is not something I would have thought about as I have never personally experienced it. (I have experienced two earthquakes. A 4.6 and a 4.2 and they were scary enough when one does not expect them. Can imagine each step on the scale being many times more than the last, how scary a big one would be!)

I experienced a quake here the suburbs of Washington DC back in 2011. Epicenter in the town of Mineral Virginia, 90 miles away.

Just now googled it. it was ...wow...5.8!

Roof shook. Everyone on the block came outside. No damage in our neighborhood though.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 10:10 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
The ‘89 SF, luckily, was “only” a 6.9 on the Richter scale.

True.

And each point is an exponential difference.

But its the closest reference I have, personally.

We in the Northeast will be in big trouble if we have even a moderate earthquake, something like 5 something on the Richter scale. We are not all like California but we do have faults and have had moderate earthquakes in the past. Some of newer office buildings been built to standard but a lot glass falling on Manhattan streets will be awful. We are an old area. A lot of our infrastructure is over 50 years old as is most of our housing stock. Big earthquakes are seen as something that happens over there.

It's the bricks back east that freak my structural expert husband out the most.

If it starts to shake, get away from the glass AND the bricks!