Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2023, 2:31 am

my therapist suggested adhd and i match quite a bit of the symptoms, especially with organization. it's so odd because i need routine as far as doing the same things daily but it's a very chaotic unorganized life. and i miss appointments and lose focus very easily unless it's something i love or a crush. I have so many thoughts in my head that i want to just dump while i have a chance but no i'm not gonna do that. have a great night guys.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 8:50 am

ADHD is really a very common thing, with lots of co-morbidities.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Feb 2023, 11:06 pm

can't believe i'm learning so much about myself and seeing so many people relate. i'm seeing how silly it was to think only i had these unique querks (i now embrace).

Shadweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2023, 4:20 am

Some studies have suggested that 30%-80% of Autistic people may also have ADHD.

I can believe this, but I also find it quite astonishing. It's also worth noting that until around the year 2000 and after DSM4 the so called experts deemed it impossible for anyone to have both conditions.

It angers me that "they" didn't seem to have a ******** clue about what they were doing or talking about. They are just seemingly making it up as they go along. Thankfully things have come on a long way in the last 10 years or so, but there is still a very long way to go in terms of correct research and understanding.

It's all it it's infancy, it seems to me.

I think I have ADHD as well as Autism. Some of the traits cancel each other out - like an intense focus and also an inattentiveness. The need for order but an inability to implement it. There's loads more examples, but I can't think of them right now. I've recently put in for a referral for an assessment for ADHD. I was formally diagnosed with Autism about a year ago at age 51.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2023, 11:58 pm

Shadweller wrote:

I can believe this, but I also find it quite astonishing. It's also worth noting that until around the year 2000 and after DSM4 the so called experts deemed it impossible for anyone to have both conditions.

It angers me that "they" didn't seem to have a ******** clue about what they were doing or talking about. They are just seemingly making it up as they go along. Thankfully things have come on a long way in the last 10 years or so, but there is still a very long way to go in terms of correct research and understanding.

I think I have ADHD as well as Autism. Some of the traits cancel each other out - like an intense focus and also an inattentiveness. The need for order but an inability to implement it. There's loads more examples, but I can't think of them right now. I've recently put in for a referral for an assessment for ADHD. I was formally diagnosed with Autism about a year ago at age 51.

yes it's crazy how people that probably don't even experience adhd or autism have so much power to say yay or nay. they may be able to withhold services, but we know who we are. we know our bodies

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2023, 10:45 pm

BreathlessJade wrote:
Shadweller wrote:

yes it's crazy how people that probably don't even experience adhd or autism have so much power to say yay or nay. they may be able to withhold services, but we know who we are. we know our bodies

Sometimes I get the feeling that having ADHD+ASD+OCD is actually easier than having just one of any of those conditions and possibly easier than having only 2 of the 3. It's kind of an equilibrium system where the brain is never really happy, but the tension between needs tends to push things back towards equilibrium without things getting super bad in any particular direction the way they can go off the rails.

Unfortunately, it gets even harder to convince the naysayers that there is a real problem, rather than just being lazy and unmotivated or actively peevish.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2023, 10:57 pm

I was diagnosed with ADHD in 2018. It's super common actually. :)

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

banjovamp
Raven
Raven

11 Apr 2023, 9:53 pm

I didn't realize that I also have ADHD until my wife was diagnosed with it and I was like

Hmmmmmm........

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2023, 1:27 pm

I wonder if I have only ADHD (and OCD), but not ASD. I do not like "classic" sameness, I do not have rigid routines, I like pleasant surprises. I do not like doing the same things daily, because my "nature" wants to be free and not suffer from compulsions or boredom. I like collecting and statistics. I get six different psychotropic drugs daily (sertraline at large dose, 200 mg) and I am more "lazy", apathetic and having problems with concentration than before getting so much psychiatrical medications (especially such a large doses of SSRI medications), but I have less fears and OCD symptoms - I read that such a phenomenon may be present in people with ADHD. I often had problems with writing posts in Internet about things that are really interesting for me. I have social pension and care allowance and ruling of disability because of pervasive developmental disorder (Asperger's syndrome) and mental illness. I have professional AS diagnosis (F84.5 in ICD-10 classification) since about 14,5 years. I had diagnoses like schizotypal disorder or mixed episode of bipolar disorder due to ideas of reference, grandiosity, messengership, "solipsism-like" thoughts (it is extremely "psychotic" in some way). I have never had any true problem with hallucinations, I experienced them sporadically, very rarely. I do not have a job and I haven't ever been in a romantic relationship, I am wifeless. Since childhood I had bizarre sexuality and I had quite many talks with sexuologists in some last years (maybe about 16). I am very poor in the terms of job skills. Religion is especially hard area for me. In childhood and adolescence, before reading a lot about mental disorders since being about 16 years old, I rather just does not think about being emotionally loved (for example by parents), getting engaged in non-erotic or non-romantic relationships (I did not bother with them) and for making eye contact - I just did not think about it for many years. I have and had "manic" interests and I have no interest in "normal" life. Maybe I have antisocial personality disorder or pathological demand avoidance? I had stims, sometimes "ugly" ones (which I still have). I very poorly tolerate physical discomfort. I have fear of suffering and infection (since few years I markedly fear the more serious infection).

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2023, 2:43 pm

Dx ASD-2 in 2018 and ADHD-C in 2020.

The ASD assessment didn't screen for it, or I assume they would have found it.

The ADHD assessment did screen for ASD, though. I was reconfirmed.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2023, 6:53 pm

nca14 wrote:
I do not like "classic" sameness, I do not have rigid routines, I like pleasant surprises. I do not like doing the same things daily, because my "nature" wants to be free and not suffer from compulsions or boredom.

I mean, same for me. A need for routine is a hallmark symptom of ASD to my understanding, but according to current diagnostic criteria you can get diagnosed w/ ASD while lacking that characteristic.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2023, 10:23 pm

Shadweller wrote:

There's a proverb - "only the wearer knows where the shoe pinches." I wish the health professionals were a little more open-minded sometimes. And it must take a pretty good diagnostician to tease out what's ASD and what's ADHD. Knowing the difference (as opposed to guessing) is rather important, given that the front-line intervention for ADHD is psych meds with some rather worrying downsides. Sometimes I think the experts are still guessing, and that they shoehorn the facts into convenient categories.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2023, 10:39 pm

nca14 wrote:
I wonder if I have only ADHD (and OCD), but not ASD. I do not like "classic" sameness, I do not have rigid routines, I like pleasant surprises. I do not like doing the same things daily, because my "nature" wants to be free and not suffer from compulsions or boredom. I like collecting and statistics. I get six different psychotropic drugs daily (sertraline at large dose, 200 mg) and I am more "lazy", apathetic and having problems with concentration than before getting so much psychiatrical medications (especially such a large doses of SSRI medications), but I have less fears and OCD symptoms - I read that such a phenomenon may be present in people with ADHD. I often had problems with writing posts in Internet about things that are really interesting for me. I have social pension and care allowance and ruling of disability because of pervasive developmental disorder (Asperger's syndrome) and mental illness. I have professional AS diagnosis (F84.5 in ICD-10 classification) since about 14,5 years. I had diagnoses like schizotypal disorder or mixed episode of bipolar disorder due to ideas of reference, grandiosity, messengership, "solipsism-like" thoughts (it is extremely "psychotic" in some way). I have never had any true problem with hallucinations, I experienced them sporadically, very rarely. I do not have a job and I haven't ever been in a romantic relationship, I am wifeless. Since childhood I had bizarre sexuality and I had quite many talks with sexuologists in some last years (maybe about 16). I am very poor in the terms of job skills. Religion is especially hard area for me. In childhood and adolescence, before reading a lot about mental disorders since being about 16 years old, I rather just does not think about being emotionally loved (for example by parents), getting engaged in non-erotic or non-romantic relationships (I did not bother with them) and for making eye contact - I just did not think about it for many years. I have and had "manic" interests and I have no interest in "normal" life. Maybe I have antisocial personality disorder or pathological demand avoidance? I had stims, sometimes "ugly" ones (which I still have). I very poorly tolerate physical discomfort. I have fear of suffering and infection (since few years I markedly fear the more serious infection).

This is quite possible. It's somewhat unclear why there are so many people with ADHD that also have OCD, but it's entirely plausible that there's been a bit of selective breeding going on as OCD symptoms tend to balance out the ADHD ones, so a partner with OCD is going to benefit from one with ADHD and vice versa.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2023, 10:49 pm

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
nca14 wrote:

This is quite possible. It's somewhat unclear why there are so many people with ADHD that also have OCD, but it's entirely plausible that there's been a bit of selective breeding going on as OCD symptoms tend to balance out the ADHD ones, so a partner with OCD is going to benefit from one with ADHD and vice versa.

Two of my kids and I have ADHD, and one has really serious OCD. The disconnect is palpable. The ADHD people are a hot chaotic mess, whereas the OCD person is very controlled and uptight by contrast.

Having ASD and ADHD together I can definitely ruminate or go into rabbit holes (hyperfixation / inattentive to the world around me), but it's nowhere near OCD in my experience. My only insistence on "sameness" is that I be allowed to be a hot mess and not follow anyone's schedule but my own. I don't really even have a schedule since I'm free-flowing lava lol.

My OCD person isn't even on the same richter scale as ADHD, even though they're on the spectrum too.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2023, 11:48 pm

I'm def ADHD, most likely AuDHD (ADHD and autism together), and I have mild OCD. I was as young as 11 with full blown OCD episodes and symptoms, but because I could control the stereotypical ones (cleanliness OCD) to some degree and my other symptoms were all non-stereotypical (having a lot of trouble getting rid of gross thoughts, etc) and internal, my parents never recognized me as having a disorder.

I haven't had an OCD episode in like a year, but it is a recurring thing for me. For me it's mostly getting stuck on a topic that makes me anxious (such as a fear of misdiagnosis, that's been the theme the past few years) and ruminating to the point of being unable to function or near to that. Meds help, and using ERP helps.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 5:59 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
My only insistence on "sameness" is that I be allowed to be a hot mess and not follow anyone's schedule but my own. I don't really even have a schedule since I'm free-flowing lava lol.

I have "the same" or something in some way similar. I do not want to be limited by schedule. I prefer freedom and curiosity. I have a tendency to do what I want, without unchangeable and predictable schedule, which might always look boring and limiting, unpleasant to me.

I have an obsession about the question if I really have ASD/PDD since about 15 years... Many ASD traits are definitely absent in my case. But thanks to PDD/AS diagnosis I have many privileges :oops: In one of urban agglomerations in my country ruling of moderate level of disability due to a pervasive developmental disorder (when you are above 26 years old) means that you have mass transport "ticket" of that agglomeration FOR FREE during the time of validity of such a ruling. If you have "only" mental illness and moderate level of disability only due to, for example, schizophrenia, you just have only 50% reduction of normal price of the tickets - NO free using of agglomeration's public transport. So "moderately" severe ASD/PDD (not "mild", but also not so severe to have ruling of disability in severe level, but only in moderate level) appears to be more disabling than average case of schizophrenia...

I think that there is a kind or profile of ASD/PDD (other than "standard" one and probably other than PDA profile) in which there are things like: lack of interest of leading "normal" life, being an "oddball" and "weirdo" (offensively having names like "r****d") due to own symptoms and behaviors (like absent or poor eye contact or inadequate body language), lack of need of being emotionally loved, often with strong or impractically (especially in the terms of making money) interests, being somewhat "manic" or "hypomanic" (peculiar and strong interests or "stimming" are a sign of it), i have to admit that it is or at least looks to be a profound form of egoism, hedonism (discomfort-avoiding (which also is a form of sensory problem) and generally pleasure-seeking) and immaturity, this "profile" starts before adolescence, such an when someone is 4 - 5 years old. NOT all people with ASD have such a symptomatology, but my case tells that it is a genuine kind of autism and pervasive developmental disorder.