Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aspyoz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 10:43 am

Been a while between posts, but.....

So dont let anyone tell you its too late to make arguably bad lifestyle choices, because last friday, at the tender age of 52, i finally got my 1st tattoos (yes, plural)

A few years ago, before COVID end times, i thought about getting a tattoo, and then, being me, i decided why not choose one myself, and then open up a second one to suggestions from friends on another forum, select the top 5 or 6 submissions, and then have a poll....and so at the end of 2019, we had a winner from the crowd, and i had the one i had always wanted.

Then, well COVID....

Im sure the people from the other forum (id stopped taking part during COVID and hadnt posted in 2 years) thought id lost interest and wouldnt follow through. But 3 weeks ago i finally had time to make an appointment for a consultation, have a consultation 2 weeks ago, and then just this past friday, finally got them done, nearly 4 years since the process started.

Of course i posted in the original thread on the other forum to update people, who were i think genuinely surprised id
followed through after all this time!

So the placement for each is the inside of each forearm

My right arm contains the one i chose....a Ralph Steadman illustration from my favourite book, Hunter S Thompson's "Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas", which we had to slightly adjust to make it sit better than the official print, because i wanted it to be big and easily legible, especially the text.....(pre cling wrap)

My left arm contains the one my friends voted on...(apologies...cling wrapped)

Both are there for 2 reasons, and on any day one can mean more than the other:

1) I spent most of my life being made to feel weird/slightly less in some peoples eyes because im an aspie, and i will NEVER allow anyone to make me feel that way again. I OWN my weirdness and condition now, and theres power in that.

2) To amuse other people

Im wired wrong, but you'll love me....

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 11:04 am

Nice! Won't be long before you want another, they are addictive.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 11:29 am

Very cool! They look great.

My son has one that says "f*** being sad"

lol

aspyoz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 11:43 am

Recidivist wrote:

I kinda felt bad for the artist because it was largely text and i thought he might have been bored not doing some elaborate art piece, but he loved them, so did all

I saw guy with the 3 kings (B B, Freddie and Albert King) tattooed on him once, and another time a guy with a Robert Johnson tattoo, im a blues nut...id probably choose something like that over general artistic tattoos...im nervous about portraits though after watching too many seasons of ink master :)

I could always just go for the Hunter quote in my sig :)

aspyoz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 11:46 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:

lol

I like it!

Im super happy with them, of course the 1st morning after, after nothing being there for nearly 52 years, i was a bit groggy with sleep and initially thought when i saw my arm "what the hell?....oh wait, yeah i did that to myself yesterday" :)

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 3:55 pm

If you're going to tattoo words, they might as well be "I've made bad life choices."

kickingdownthedoors
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Feb 2023, 4:01 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

lol

i misread this as "f***ing be sad" and i was like, i guess that's validating? :lol:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

06 Feb 2023, 4:46 pm

Very nice work, especially the Steadman cartoon:

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 5:21 pm

aspyoz wrote:
Recidivist wrote:

I kinda felt bad for the artist because it was largely text and i thought he might have been bored not doing some elaborate art piece, but he loved them, so did all

I saw guy with the 3 kings (B B, Freddie and Albert King) tattooed on him once, and another time a guy with a Robert Johnson tattoo, im a blues nut...id probably choose something like that over general artistic tattoos...im nervous about portraits though after watching too many seasons of ink master :)

Don't feel bad, I'm sure you compensated him nicely.

Things are different nowadays (as opposed to 30 years ago) and tattoo artists 'appear' to be literate, it was always a risk getting lettering done back then.

If you do your research on your chosen artist, I'm sure you will find one who is excellent at portraits and has a proven track record, but there is always a risk with any tattoo.

Welcome to the ink club. :jester:

aspyoz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 3:36 am

Cornflake wrote:
Very nice work, especially the Steadman cartoon:

we had to rearrange it slightly (obviously) to make it fit better, because i wanted it all to be a good size and fill the area

there was always going to be a Steadman OR hunter quote...the other ones ive seen (along with newer Johnny Depp as Hunter tattoos, and quotes from Fear & Loathing) had already been done to death..."Too weird to live, and too rare to die." was always a chance, but it again had been done to death, and i think its better left in context of the original paragraph, and well, i dont have enough forearm for it at a good size:

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

aspyoz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 3:43 am

Recidivist wrote:
aspyoz wrote:
Recidivist wrote:

Don't feel bad, I'm sure you compensated him nicely.

Things are different nowadays (as opposed to 30 years ago) and tattoo artists 'appear' to be literate, it was always a risk getting lettering done back then.

If you do your research on your chosen artist, I'm sure you will find one who is excellent at portraits and has a proven track record, but there is always a risk with any tattoo.

Welcome to the ink club. :jester:

He was well paid :)

I was VERY careful to double check the spelling of everything, because i didnt want a regert tattoo :)

Cheers!

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

07 Feb 2023, 8:58 am

aspyoz wrote:
"Too weird to live, and too rare to die." was always a chance, but it again had been done to death, and i think its better left in context of the original paragraph, and well, i dont have enough forearm for it at a good size:

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”
Yes... It wouldn't really work going up one arm and down the other. :lol:

The readjustment of the Steadman cartoon was very skilfully done. Impressive.
*eyes naked forearm, considers for the Nth time how a small bee drawing I have would look good there*

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 12:46 pm

Cool

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 9:34 pm

I have some t shirts with pretty snappy sayings on them, such as "I came, I saw, I had anxiety so I left". You know what's great about T shirts? You can change out of them whenever you want. If you get tired of what's on the shirt or don't like it anymore, you don't have to worry, it comes off easily because it's not permanently stuck to your body (unless you have very questionable hygiene). And if I decide what's on the shirt is REALLY cringy, outdated, or it just gets really faded and ugly, I can throw it away or turn it into cleaning rags or something like that.

You get what I'm saying?

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 10:03 pm

And now you just made yourself weirder. Good luck with that.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 10:55 am

They did a good job, very crisp lettering.
I don’t have any.My daughter is the inked one.
I could never decide where or what I wanted.