“for me, being autistic is brilliant, not a burden”

Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2023, 12:20 pm

cyberdad wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
The problem however with the whole “accept autism” idea is that it literally means that by many who promote the phrase.

Skilled semantic language creators

Accept autism as a natural condition not to be treated or cured.

They have little interest in helping to releave the neurological problems of those with more severe types of autism to them

Generally I find most NT are sympathetic to autistic people schizophrenics get a much harder time as the condition is associated with madness and unprovoked violence.

We never here of the accept schizophrenia phrase.

Agreed with everything here, It's easy to ask people to accept autistic people, but its much harder to act on good intentions. And yes schizophrenics illicit fear. Some years ago I was in a taxi in north Queensland and the elderly driver who was in his late 70s told me the reason he was still working was so he could keep his schizophrenic son at home, He was all that was between his son being permanently placed in a psychiatric ward (his wife died). His pension was not enough to support the both of them and expenses his son cost in terms of medication, clothes, food etc. He drove taxis at night time while son was asleep to pay the bills. He admitted the end was nigh, he was burning himself out.

This post was hard to read emotionally ...At 70 + yrs .. you might think the State might be willing to step in an provide so sort of support ..then , my brain goes to think about group homes .. Just wish there was a better easier more practical way . Some kind of care giver support or some such thing? 8O

where ever you go ,there you are

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2023, 6:02 pm

For myself, I tend to say that, I operate in a unorthodox manner; though it's not something bad nor negative; as there's always many approaches to reaching one's destination and I'm okay with that.

AnomalousAspergian
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2023, 12:34 pm

First and foremost, autism is regardless of what people's insular individual perspectives are. An autistic individual's attitude to their experience on the spectrum not being a burden is entirely contingent on the social environment they are brought up in, which is ultimately down to how fortunate they are. The fact that western society has fetishised perspectivism to the point that basic truisms are contingent on someone's personal viewpoint only results in further atomisation and destabilisation of any collective social contract. It also results in all matters of fact being reduced to matters of taste and opinion. A dangerous precedent for authoritarianism and even fascism to re-emerge - which it is.