Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 1:57 pm

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20070813/t ... eca_1.html

Natacha turned out to be a Malian wielding a machete.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 2:06 pm

The only way these people get into trouble is by giving out their addresses. I talk to people who are probably whack out of their minds quite often on the internet, and well, I've been doing this since I was 14 lol. I'm still here. I never give out my name, I use an anonymous e-mail address. I KNOW they could detect me through my IP. But, hey, I'm still here lol.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 6:05 pm

Freaky. I've seen that on the news. Notable news here, as it was an Aussie involved. Silly bastard. He's lucky to still have his skin intact (more or less).

On sabbatical...

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 6:47 pm

First time I arranged to meet someone from the internets i did it in a bus station, just to be safe lol. I figure im reasonably safe from pedos and such, being a 29yr old guy, but you never know.

turns out it was LadyM i was meeting, and shes never tried to chop anything off, or kidnap me. Mind you, she never said she had 100 000 in gold either. That and shes quite small.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

14 Aug 2007, 11:02 am

Macbeth wrote:
First time I arranged to meet someone from the internets i did it in a bus station, just to be safe lol.

Same here. I'd known the guy for years though, and knew other people who had met with him... so he would have had to have been a pretty determined con artist to have pulled off all that just to eat my liver.

Personally, I don't think there's a lot of danger if you know what signs to look for. It's way easier for me to identify bad apples on the internet than in person. I doubt any one of us would have rushed off to meet someone who promised us a bunch of gold, after all.

Statistically speaking, we're way more likely to be attacked by someone we meet in "real life". The most dangerous individuals I ever met were volunteering at an orphanage with me. :?

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2007, 3:06 pm

I think I was at more danger in an NHS hospital LOL.

jess162k7
Toucan
Toucan

19 Aug 2007, 1:48 pm

i met sum1 off the internet i had known him ages.. met him with my frend at a extremely large train station and im still safe.. ive met 2 ppl off da internet n 1 boy i went on my own n i was safe

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 2:37 pm

Heh. If I met some of the people on my contacts' list, I would probably end up in some really horrible situation. Image

edal
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2007, 5:17 am

I met my girlfriend over the Internet and I had lots of happy experiences with computer dating which is almost the same thing. All you need to do is be sensible:

1) Tell someone where you are going and who you are going to meet.

2) Meet in a public place with lots of people.

3) Google the name of the person you are going to meet.

4) If you think that something has been added to your drink DON'T DRINK IT!!

5) Gut feelings are good. If something feels wrong then make your excuses and leave.

Ed Almos

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 3:23 pm

And also, if the person talks about violent acts constantly to you on the internet, don't meet them up! :lol: