Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Aet1985
Raven
Raven

06 Feb 2023, 4:34 pm

I was wondering if we have deeper neurological and or internal issues, for example I am not a ''weak person'' but I can't handle a lot of stress for long periods, relationships or friendships with women I stress myself out or get angry to the point of my acid reflux get's bad, just threw up today for example, at times everyday life gets to me.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 5:47 am

I don't really see ASD as primarily a social problem, I see it more as a brain-wiring thing that happens to have some social manifestations. In some ways I see my ways of relating to others as better than that of many NTs and mainstream people, though there are certainly some holes in my social skills. I'm rather like that in most walks of life - totally ignorant about certain aspects that most people seem to fully grasp, yet remarkably knowledgeable and au fait about other aspects. It's as if I do any given thing either super-thoroughly or I barely do it at all.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 7:29 am

If one considers a neurological variant such that one has a faster, more complex, or more sensitive neurology, one can anticipate that the increased sensory and cognitive information would be burdensome to process.

One might also anticipate an intensity of focus that can also produce a deficit of what would be considered peripheral attention. This would be like using a flashlight at night. one can see clearly what is illuminated, but have no perception outside of the beam.

Social difficulties are only one area of life that is impacted by such neurology.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2023, 9:02 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I don't really see ASD as primarily a social problem, I see it more as a brain-wiring thing that happens to have some social manifestations. In some ways I see my ways of relating to others as better than that of many NTs and mainstream people, though there are certainly some holes in my social skills. I'm rather like that in most walks of life - totally ignorant about certain aspects that most people seem to fully grasp, yet remarkably knowledgeable and au fait about other aspects. It's as if I do any given thing either super-thoroughly or I barely do it at all.

I have not found one person in the world who said that ASD is all about social skills issues.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 9:04 am

ASD is a neurological condition. Whether it's actually a "disorder" depends on the person.

Personally, my ASD is somewhat of a disorder, but also somewhat of a mere "difference."

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 2:29 pm

Gammeldans wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

I have not found one person in the world who said that ASD is all about social skills issues.

Well that's comforting. Though one of my counsellors appeared to think that if I were shoved into a room on my own, all my ASD problems would be solved, at least in a workplace situation. Some people only seem to notice the first potential solution to a given problem that occurs to them. But I don't know how common it is. And maybe it's just their communication style, their tendency to under-explain.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 1:27 pm

Gammeldans wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

That's interesting because I hear that all the time.

Wreck It Ralph

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 8:06 am

skibum wrote:
Gammeldans wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

That's interesting because I hear that all the time.

I have never heard it said explicitly, but the usually NT conversations about autism are about or related to social skills.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman