Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 6:21 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewXqB7g ... Matter2525

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 5:22 pm

Thanks for posting this. Excellent explanation of various deceptive propaganda techniques.

To the moderators: Maybe a link to this thread could be added to the locked sticky thread Skeptics Resources?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 1:05 pm

I've always struggled to understand why people so readily believe what they're told. To me it's always a matter of "on the other hand that could be wrong."

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 1:20 pm

I wonder the same thing.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 1:26 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Thanks for posting this. Excellent explanation of various deceptive propaganda techniques.

To the moderators: Maybe a link to this thread could be added to the locked sticky thread Skeptics Resources?
No, thank you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 6:24 am

Honey69 wrote:

The man speaks my language. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 6:25 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I've always struggled to understand why people so readily believe what they're told. To me it's always a matter of "on the other hand that could be wrong."

Ppl are lazy.
Critical thinking takes effort.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 6:28 am

99.9% of the people posting in approval here or on youtube comments will never dare apply these "revelations" to things they currently believe and, more importantly, want to be true.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 7:09 am

Mikah wrote:
99.9% of the people posting in approval here or on youtube comments will never dare apply these "revelations" to things they currently believe and, more importantly, want to be true.

Hello, sunshine. :flower:

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 1:24 pm

The people who feel the need to be watching that have no common sense of their own anyway.

Waste of time otherwise.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 5:17 pm

I forgot to say what I think of the video (how did you all sleep not knowing?)

It's OK I suppose. Bit long for me, and it's just one man's way of organising some ideas about propaganda. I don't usually find other people's way of organising knowledge very easy to follow, because my brain has its own way of doing that and it doesn't readily adapt to other ways, it would rather keep mapping new bits onto what it's already got, even if there might be a better way, unless it can clearly see that it's better.

But all in all, I guess it might do a bit of good here and there. I wish they taught propaganda studies and critical thinking in schools as part of the core curriculum.

So, the video gets my qualified approval. As for whether or not I'd dare to apply my knowledge of propaganda to the things I currently believe, AFAIK I don't really believe anything in the first place. Sometimes I see unscientific, emotive drivel that seeks to promote certain views akin to my own, but I usually know it's drivel, and I tend to think "I like the sentiments behind that but to me it's a very flawed way of expressing it." Other times I see scholarly work that has no axe to grind, backs up any assertions with externally-verifiable evidence, uses arguments that make clear logical sense, draws only tentative, qualified conclusions, owns opinions and speculations as what they are, and doesn't try to sell the reader anything, and I much prefer that kind of stuff, though it's often very complicated and takes a lot of hard work to fathom it all, and sadly I don't always have the time or the inclination to bother.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 5:36 pm

Besides being too long the vid is ok. Got through a third of it and felt I had the gist of it, and then stopped. Am familiar with the concepts he talks about from other sources. How humans pay more attention to negative data than positive for
example.

In a mild way it's an example of the very thing it is warning about. Fear mongering, but in a mild way, about a real thing, how the Net promotes polarization.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 5:41 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Besides being too long the vid is ok. Got through a third of it and felt I had the gist of it, and then stopped. Am familiar with the concepts he talks about from other sources. How humans pay more attention to negative data than positive for
example.

In a mild way it's an example of the very thing it is warning about. Fear mongering, but in a mild way, about a real thing, how the Net promotes polarization.

I only listened to the very beginning and got the "gist of it" also.
He focuses on human nature/psychology as I do.
Common sense thinking, IMO.

But as I have said, I haven't listened to the entire vid.
I just didn't have the time.