Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 8:08 am

Award-winning autobiographical show about living with autism ARCO Jnr makes its way to Arts Centre Melbourne

Quote:
ARCO Jnr, performer Adam Kelly’s compelling story of living with autism, will have its Victorian debut at Arts Centre Melbourne’s creative learning hub The Channel on Saturday 1 April. Touring for the first time outside of Western Australia, the autobiographical show is filled with both yearning and optimism.

Adam, in his words, is an autistic gentleman. His friend Finbar is a fish. Adam thinks that asking someone what it feels like to live with autism is pretty much like asking a fish if it knows it’s in water – which is pretty funny if you think about it.

ARCO Jnr is Adam Kelly’s award-winning autobiographical show about living with autism, or, in Finbar the fish’s case, living in water. The show takes a heartfelt look at the life and struggles of a young man trying to make connections with the people and world around him. Along the way, Adam asks gently of his audience to consider life from his perspective.

Autism itself is really difficult to explain. It’s not simply something that effects how I function; it is… how I am wired. This is my story of endurance, learning, adaptation, and optimism. Everyone can identify with it and have some fun at the same time.

Adam is a performer to watch. As an elder of the WA Youth Theatre Company, ARCO Jnr is his transition from youth performer to mainstage artist as he enters the next phase of his career.

ARCO Jnr, the supercharged version of the original show for children and families, incorporates exciting animation from Perth-based neurodiverse artist Ben Hollingsworth inviting audiences to join Adam and Finbar as they dance, draw, fly and joke their way into the hearts of everyone.

Both session times for ARCO Jnr are relaxed performances which means the atmosphere is non-judgmental, noisy enthusiasm is embraced and it’s okay to move during the performance space at any time. Those who require their own access methods are welcome to bring in and use their own headphones, sunglasses and stimming devices or fidget toys.

The lights will also remain on at a dim level and a quiet area will be available, if needed, to take a break. To help audiences prepare for their visit, a visual story will also be provided with information about the venue and the show

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman