Hello from Singapore! Seeking peace in life.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

shadow88
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Feb 2023, 12:16 pm

Hi, I am currently based in Singapore. I identify as an Aspergian, although I am not formally diagnosed with it. Throughout my childhood (and even now as an adult), I always have trouble in social interactions and maintaining eye contact. Growing up, my favourite subject is Math as I am attracted to the logic, order and structure behind it. I am able to be immersed and enter “hyper focus” mode if I enjoy doing something.

Now as a working adult and especially after COVID-19, I have given more thought about the meaning of my life. There are some days where I feel life is meaningless - wake up, go to work, return home, sleep and the cycle repeats. To remedy this lack of meaning, I have tried exercising in the gym and sign up as volunteer to tutor underprivileged children. Although I enjoy doing them, I feel the joy is temporary - when it is work day again, I get hit with feelings of depression and frustration.

Hence, the purpose I sign up for this forum is so that it will be another way (besides gym and volunteering) to seek peace in life. I hope I can learn more about regulating my emotions and approaching things in life as an Aspie. This is my first time signing up for a forum so please be gentle on me. Many thanks.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 1:08 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. Currently based in Singapore. That must be a bit interesting and exciting. Being overseas provides you with different ways to view the world.

When I was in my middle twenties, I went to the other side of the world and after 5 weeks proposed to a girl and she accepted. We did not even speak the same language. But I managed to bring her to my country and marry her. We have been married for 48 years now. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Mose people live a very small life, but Aspies can travel to the moon, if we want.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 2:36 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you find some relief here.

Having a formal diagnosis, informal diagnosis, a self-diagnosis or even a suspicion is not required for being on WP. In fact, even if you knew for certain you were not on the Spectrum merely a polite interest in the topic gets you in. Nonetheless, I hope you have found the following two online tools—you might find them interesting.
*>- Autism-Spectrum Quotient Test (AQ)
*>- Aspie Quiz Registering is optional!

P.S. I can't tell you the meaning of life. The best I can say is I found the purpose of working: paying bills and reaching the long-term goal of a comfortable retirement.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 4:08 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 5:28 am

welcome, hope you find what you need!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 6:00 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

I applaud your efforts to tutor children and in seeking a meaningful life.

LaTech
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2023, 9:00 am

Welcome Shadow!

May you find what you seek here.

shadow88
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Feb 2023, 11:48 am

jimmy m wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet. Currently based in Singapore. That must be a bit interesting and exciting. Being overseas provides you with different ways to view the world.

When I was in my middle twenties, I went to the other side of the world and after 5 weeks proposed to a girl and she accepted. We did not even speak the same language. But I managed to bring her to my country and marry her. We have been married for 48 years now. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Mose people live a very small life, but Aspies can travel to the moon, if we want.

Thanks for the welcome and sharing your life experience. I wish to experience that human connection some day. Best wishes to you and your family and thanks again!

Double Retired wrote:
Welcome to WP! I hope you find some relief here.

Having a formal diagnosis, informal diagnosis, a self-diagnosis or even a suspicion is not required for being on WP. In fact, even if you knew for certain you were not on the Spectrum merely a polite interest in the topic gets you in. Nonetheless, I hope you have found the following two online tools—you might find them interesting.
*>- Autism-Spectrum Quotient Test (AQ)
*>- Aspie Quiz Registering is optional!

P.S. I can't tell you the meaning of life. The best I can say is I found the purpose of working: paying bills and reaching the long-term goal of a comfortable retirement.

Thanks for the links! I do believe each individual defines their own meaning of life, ain't it?