Should children be exposed to this on Disney?

Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 9:42 am

cyberdad wrote:
I thought this might be a little over the top for Disney to show little kids

I don't see why kids should be shielded from the facts of history, but this could be confusing for a kid not living in the US. Chattel slavery was never a part of Australian history AFAIK.

Princess Viola
Toucan
Toucan

11 Feb 2023, 4:40 pm

So am I gonna have to be the one to point out that this show is actually rated TV-PG?

Sure, will little kids likely end up watching it? Yeah, you can say that for any cartoon, really.

But it's not being aimed at a young child audience, that's why it has the TV-PG rating.

And I think older kids can handle this type of stuff just fine.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 6:26 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Disney was absolutely magical in the 1970s

In the 40s, they had The Story of Menstruation.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 7:07 pm

MaxE wrote:
Chattel slavery was never a part of Australian history AFAIK.

Actually it was. The difference was the aboriginal and melanesian population who were exposed to indenture in Australia were always relatively small in number. This was also part of the curriculum wars in the 1980s/90s about whether students needed to be exposed to how following genocide (which in itself was a contentious issue) the remainder of the population were uprooted their children abducted, the adults sent to missions and exploited by stock herders inland and by fisherman on the coast and adult women used as sex slaves.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 7:16 pm

Stightly to one side of topic, but still relevant: in the mid-'60s, "Doctor Who" was more of an educational family show than a Bug-Eyed-Alien-of-the-Week show. Historical subjects they considered suitable for children included:

Human sacrifice in the Aztec Empire
The Terror during the French Revolution
The St Bartholomew's Day Massacre (still pretty controversial in France)
The Battle of Culloden (still pretty controversial in Britain).

Some of the SF stories went to very dark places too - in one, called "The Savages," the villains were scientists who captured members of the "lesser races" to use in their experiments. And the original Dalek story drew on contemporary fears of a nuclear holocaust.

Clearly the children of 1960s Britain were able to cope with this....

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 7:24 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:

The proponents of anti-woke movement in the 2020s are a little more sophisticated than 1960s Britain. The incidents in Dr Who involving "bad" events are mentioned in isolation and not as part of a general narrative.

I'm not sure if you have watched a popular British television production aimed at children called "Horrible histories"? it involves actors dressing up in cosplay re-enacting dark events of past history which are ostensibly unsuitable for children, Not only is it done in a funny way, the material covers all cultures (not just European history) so the Aztec human sacrifice, Indian cult of Kali and Zulu invasions among other cultures included. Basically the program is teaching kids that all humans were capable of bad things in the past.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 8:30 pm

cyberdad wrote:
MaxE wrote:

Actually it was. The difference was the aboriginal and melanesian population who were exposed to indenture in Australia were always relatively small in number. This was also part of the curriculum wars in the 1980s/90s about whether students needed to be exposed to how following genocide (which in itself was a contentious issue) the remainder of the population were uprooted their children abducted, the adults sent to missions and exploited by stock herders inland and by fisherman on the coast and adult women used as sex slaves.

Indenture is not at all the same as chattel slavery. The latter doesn't work with aboriginals. It was tried in the Americas without success. You really need to take people from their home without hope of ever returning, that will break their spirit to where you can properly enslave them.

Actually what you describe is more or less identical to what happened to aboriginals in North America.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 9:16 pm

MaxE wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
MaxE wrote:

Indenture is not at all the same as chattel slavery. The latter doesn't work with aboriginals. It was tried in the Americas without success. You really need to take people from their home without hope of ever returning, that will break their spirit to where you can properly enslave them.

Actually what you describe is more or less identical to what happened to aboriginals in North America.

It's a matter of emerging research but indentured aboriginal labour in Australia was akin to chattel slavery,. For example the enslavement of melanesians in north Queensland sugar plantations does meet the "chattel" definition you provide. Literally thousands of men and women were abducted by pirates from the south pacific using similar tactics to slave traders in Africa. The abducted men and women were then subjected to exactly the same conditions experienced by Aftricans in sugar plantations in the Caribbean.

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

07 Apr 2023, 2:25 pm

probably not

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2023, 8:19 pm

MaxE wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I don't see why kids should be shielded from the facts of history, but this could be confusing for a kid not living in the US. Chattel slavery was never a part of Australian history AFAIK.

On the subject of whether kids should be exposed. It's a contentious matter at what age complex historical concepts should be presented. This is, however a matter for psychologists and educators rather than republican politicians and uninformed parents.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 5:01 am

If a child is adopted they are usually not told. It's a big thing to put upon a child and in their formative years it can influence them negatively to hear the truth....too early.

The song wasn't just a neutral thing that was just information it was a retelling of one opinion in an agressive way.

Meanwhile a lot of parents don't believe in telling their children to vote a certain way or what religion to believe in... but Disney is doing the maximum level of persuasion on children.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 5:49 am

cyberdad wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAzGObgdz1I

Child indoctrination happens all over the place these days.
Call me old fashioned, but I think parents should be responsible for introducing values.

BTW, There was a thread about this video.
The thread referred to why the Disney channel lost so many subscriptions.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 5:52 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
As much as I love Disney and think their movies are beautiful, that company is in some hot water right now. For example, they have been sneaking sexual messages into those movies we all love. For example, if you noticed, Aladdin's voice actor said, "All good teenagers take their clothes off." Do I love those movies? Yes I still watch them but I am more careful. Additionally, they are also in trouble for having human trafficking rings.

Kids should be allowed to be kids.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 5:53 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
There is Conservative rhetoric about how there is an antiwhite agenda in liberal media. This is NOT helping.

Facts are now obliged to care about some people's feelings, otherwise they're part of an anti-white agenda. :lol:

I would prefer it if both the far right and far left shut the hell up.

Agreed.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 6:02 am

cyberdad wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:

The proponents of anti-woke movement in the 2020s are a little more sophisticated than 1960s Britain. The incidents in Dr Who involving "bad" events are mentioned in isolation and not as part of a general narrative.

I'm not sure if you have watched a popular British television production aimed at children called "Horrible histories"? it involves actors dressing up in cosplay re-enacting dark events of past history which are ostensibly unsuitable for children, Not only is it done in a funny way, the material covers all cultures (not just European history) so the Aztec human sacrifice, Indian cult of Kali and Zulu invasions among other cultures included. Basically the program is teaching kids that all humans were capable of bad things in the past.

This is far more educational for children than the Disney cartoons or Cosplay:
Quote:
Gaza kids put on play about stabbing, killing Israelis
Young children brandishing toy knives and guns act out violent scenes in event broadcast on Hamas television
By ToI Staff 27 April 2016

https://www.timesofisrael.com/gaza-kids ... -israelis/

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 6:21 am

I have no problem with kids watching the Proud Family, or any show appropriate for their age.

I don't think they will understand those parts of history until they're a bit older, about the time they will teach these things in school. If they're from a group that has historically encountered racism, they would likely have a parent or grandparent, or other older relative, who has experienced thosr things first hand, who could share their stories.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!