Glutamate(neurotransmitter) and autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 8:27 am

Has anyone been down this rabbit hole?
I saw a study that stated autistics have higher levels of glutamate, its a neurotransmitter that causes stimulation or excitement in the brain. That would account for the co-morbidity with ADHD, the tendency to daydream or be 'in your head' thinking about things instead of taking part in conversation.

Alcohol causes a great lessening of autism symptoms , its a substance that stops glutamate from having its effect on the brain.

Raw broccoli has been known to lessen the effects of autism, it contains another neurotransmitter GABA which is the opposite of glutamate.

So now i'm looking to see if theres anything natural other than broccoli which inhibits glutamate. Broccoli only works slightly.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 9:24 am

It may likely work with those with ADHD comorbidities.
It would likely works with those with anxiety issues.

And possibly certain emotional issues related to trauma that manifests as being unable to relax.

Not in my case. I don't need more 'relaxation'. I don't have any particular anxiety issues like most autistics tend to have.
I need more of it sometimes.

I can be relaxed and still just as reckless or careless or thoughtless. Makes no difference or it's just as bad if I'm excited or whatever.

I need something else...
Something subtle, more to do with regulation and organization of something in stimulation than adding or lessening of stimulation or excitability.
The type that pierces fogs in my head, or get rid of it completely preferably -- little to do with having hyperactive mind.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 10:12 am

I'm trying an anti yeast diet which is supposed to help with brain fog. It's early days though

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 8:41 pm

You could try a supplement, but it's doubtful whether much of it would get to the brain. Research on GABA is rather limited so far. Still, these seem to be the foods that contain the most of it, if you want to try upping your intake:
"Foods with GABA concentrations in excess of 100 nmole per g dry weight included: brown rice germ, brown rice sprouts, barley sprouts, bean sprouts, beans, corn, barley, brown rice, spinach, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, kale and chestnuts. Cereals included: brown rice germ, brown rice sprouts, barley sprouts, bean sprouts, beans, corn, barley, and brown rice and had GABA concentrations of 718, 389, 326, 302, 250, 199, 190, and 123 nmole per g dry weight (DW), respectively. The vegetables: spinach, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams and kale contained 414, 166, 137, 129, 122 nmole GABA per g DW, respectively. The GABA concentration of chestnut was 188 nmole per g DW"
https://www.dbpia.co.kr/journal/article ... DE00637183

This contains a guide to low-glutamate foods:
https://aci.health.nsw.gov.au/projects/ ... tamate-low

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2023, 2:03 am

klanka wrote:
I'm trying an anti yeast diet which is supposed to help with brain fog. It's early days though

I'd certain would try that.

Not exactly for autism though.
But for my 'allergies' and whatever sensitivities.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2023, 3:51 am

Ok thanks t.d. eating vegetables seems to be a good idea then:)

I'm trying this 'body ecology diet' to stop brain fog etc.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2023, 3:19 pm

^
No problem. If getting enough from dietary intervention turns out to be too difficult (because of availability, cost, or just disliking those particular foods), my usual workaround is to get a supplement and add a calculated amount of it to some food that already contains at least some of the required thing. That way there's at least a chance that the food will contain any necessary cofactors for better absorption, and it's a bit more "natural." It can also turn out cheaper because a lot of supplements provide insanely large amounts of the stuff you're looking for, so you can just use a fraction of a capsule or tablet per day. It can be quite a bit of bother doing the sums and figuring out a simple, reliable way of getting the target dose accurately, but that only has to be done once. Though for all these things it's usually thought best to avoid supplements and to stick to food.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2023, 3:50 pm

So you've seen results in your own life?

On a seperate note I'm sceptical about avoiding glutamate foods, I don't eat the foods on that list anyway but my glutamate is probably still high.
Considering the change I see with alcohol,I think I have glutamate problems.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2023, 4:10 pm

klanka wrote:
So you've seen results in your own life?

On a seperate note I'm sceptical about avoiding glutamate foods, I don't eat the foods on that list anyway but my glutamate is probably still high.
Considering the change I see with alcohol,I think I have glutamate problems.

No I haven't myself tried altering whatever GABA I'm consuming in my normal diet. There's no recommended daily intake for it so I wouldn't know what to aim for. Just that I've recently been looking at the more "traditional" nutrients with a view to tweaking my diet so as to make sure I'm getting the right amounts of everything. I've identified the nutrients I'm apparently not getting enough of and I've designed all the interventions to put it right, but I'm only at the beginning of the practical experiment. Currently I'm somewhat bogged down with the problem of getting my calcium intake up to the recommended level. I've got a bag of calcium chloride but there's nothing I eat that I can add it to in sufficient amounts that doesn't spoil the taste or otherwise ruin the meal. Anyway that's how come I knew enough to easily find the information I posted about GABA.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 2:11 am

That is why I'm currently on the ketogenic diet.
If you can get and stay in ketosis, with your brain / nervous system running on ketones, that leads to more glutamate being converted to GABA which dampens down brain excitation.
Supposedly.
Actually, there aren't many studies yet, but it does seem to be helping keep me steady.
Just it's not an easy diet to stick with, and probably not safe long term, but I guess I was clutching at straws regarding mental health so giving it a go.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 7:09 am

Ok thanks t.d. it's a useful site to look at.

I tried ketosis. It did have a result but not enough.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 1:29 am

I take CBD oil as well. That also affects the balance of excitatory and inhibitory neurotransmitters.
But maybe more by reducing gultamate than increasing GABA.
Seems they haven't done enough studies yet. And the doses used in studies tend to be about 10x what you can get prescribed anyway.