Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 6:08 pm

There's going to be a baby shower for one of my pregnant coworkers at work. She already has had 4 kids, so I don't really know what to get her as a gift. What are you supposed to get someone that already has had kids?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 6:17 pm

I normally knit a layette but assuming you can't do that, go for practical things.
Find out if she's going to use disposable or cloth nappies.
You could get a few boxes of disposables at various sizes, with wipes.
Not very exciting but parents go through a lot.
A nice receiving blanket would be welcome.
Onesies of various sizes or even "sleep sacks" which don't have the crotch button.

I always avoid anything that could possibly lead to injury:
I don't give wraps or carriers or bouncy seat stuff.
No teething toys.
I could never forgive myself ^ .

Sentimental things:
A nice picture frame
A baby book for all their firsts
A photo album

Stuff for the mother:
Bath stuff, candles, a nice pillow, slippers, etc.

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2023, 7:57 pm

Meal cards - door dash or other delivery options or easy take out.

Diapers are great. One of my favorite gifts was a pack of diapers, a bottle of infant Tylenol, and a bottle of wine. But you have to be sure the wine and Tylenol will be welcome. Appropriate diapers - disposable or cloth as desired are always welcome.

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 8:07 pm

I might get receiving blankets (those are the ones that babies throw up on a lot right lmao) because my aunt said that knowing the women at work they're all going to get the baby some onesies and clothes. I might also try to find something nice specifically for my coworker especially, because she's been in the hospital a lot due to gestational diabetes.

I also have another coworker that's recently gotten pregnant and only has a 4 year old. How long do you have to wait to give someone a gift for them/their baby? Should I get her the same type of stuff?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 8:18 pm

Receiving blankets:

Yes lol - they're for when you "receive" the baby and their stomach contents on your shoulder. :P
They usually come in a pack with a few designs, basic cotton with a nice edge stitch.
People use them to swaddle as well.

Some of them are called "swaddles" and they're already made into a swaddle shape (no folding):

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2023, 2:03 pm

Universal gift card

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 11:50 am

I always get a couple of baby outfits. Pick unisex colored one if you don't know the gender of the baby or if you don't want to go with traditional gender colors. Outfits can be inexpensive, very cute, and the parents will be grateful because babies always need lots of clothes. Don't worry about the fact that she already has four kids. She will love whatever you give her. It's about the friendship, not about the stuff.

Wreck It Ralph