Another WTF story about transitioning

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 11:57 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/news/maine-mom-demands-investigation-school-113001510.html

Quote:
Lavigne would later learn that earlier in the year, without her knowledge, her daughter had been reassigned to a new social worker at Great Salt Bay Community School in Maine. This social worker, she learned, had been advising her daughter about gender transitioning. He had provided her daughter with the chest binder, telling the girl that he wouldn’t tell her mother, and she didn’t need to either. She also learned that school personnel had been involved in socially transitioning her daughter, referring to her by a new name and by male pronouns.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 2:29 pm

Why would trusted adults betray a child and discuss their gender transition with their bigoted parents?

If a kid discloses that they’re trans and asks that their parents not be informed because they know their parents are not accepting people, why would a professional working adult in a position of trust put the child in harm’s way by relaying personal information to their parents? Why would you expect someone, a teacher, counsellor, social worker etc, to want to put that child at risk of abuse or neglect or worse from their parent? Why would they want that on their conscience or to feel responsible for the bad things that happen to that child at the hands of their parent? Of course they listen to children and don’t tell their parents.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 7:09 pm

^ maybe because it's a SCHOOL. Unless something has radically changed, the parents are still first contact in education if a child is struggling . If this were DCF, or a health department, the social worker was employed by a healthcare provider, this might have turned out differently.

I mean, what if the kid said they wanted to partake in X, Y, or Z? You can't just cut the parent out of the loop unless the state is ready to step in and take over responsibility for this child. Parents aren't just bank accounts... The states cannot say to the parent, "we think X, Y and Z is best for your child. So, not only do you have absolutely NO say in any of it, but you have to fund it too."

Honest to goodness, some of the way out there crap in the minds of people can be astounding.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Feb 2023, 7:25 pm

I think the binder was probably out of line and poor judgement.

I have several kids who go by different names and genders in my classes than in their evaluations and during parent communication. I see no reason to discuss this with the parents.

Nothing that was done to assist the child was irreversible.

I had a teenager in my class with a vaccine reaction last week. She came to me about it. I told her she needed to inform her mom. She said she didn’t want to do that because her mom is “let’s say ‘vaccine hesitant’ and I would like to keep getting vaccinated.” I said, well, you need to tell you parents or your doctor. And she said “And how would I tell my doctor without involving my parents?” I told her how to do that and two days later she told me her doctor said the reaction was within normal response and she shouldn’t worry, and also thank you.

Kids are people. Not property.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 3:43 am

Persephone29 wrote:
^ maybe because it's a SCHOOL. Unless something has radically changed, the parents are still first contact in education if a child is struggling . If this were DCF, or a health department, the social worker was employed by a healthcare provider, this might have turned out differently.

I mean, what if the kid said they wanted to partake in X, Y, or Z? You can't just cut the parent out of the loop unless the state is ready to step in and take over responsibility for this child. Parents aren't just bank accounts... The states cannot say to the parent, "we think X, Y and Z is best for your child. So, not only do you have absolutely NO say in any of it, but you have to fund it too."

Honest to goodness, some of the way out there crap in the minds of people can be astounding.

It's a child. Their safety and well being takes priority. If they have any reason not to want their parents informed about their sexual orientation or gender identity, that's their choice. Their gender identity has nothing to do with their academic obligations so why would parents be informed ? Students aren't graded on their gender identity, so, no such report is expected to be provided to parents.

Everyone pays taxes to pay for public schools, even those of us who don't have kids. So what? The species and economy need a next generation of educated people.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 3:45 am

Quantum duck wrote:
I think the binder was probably out of line and poor judgement.

I have several kids who go by different names and genders in my classes than in their evaluations and during parent communication. I see no reason to discuss this with the parents.

Nothing that was done to assist the child was irreversible.

I had a teenager in my class with a vaccine reaction last week. She came to me about it. I told her she needed to inform her mom. She said she didn’t want to do that because her mom is “let’s say ‘vaccine hesitant’ and I would like to keep getting vaccinated.” I said, well, you need to tell you parents or your doctor. And she said “And how would I tell my doctor without involving my parents?” I told her how to do that and two days later she told me her doctor said the reaction was within normal response and she shouldn’t worry, and also thank you.

Kids are people. Not property.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 7:15 am

I didn’t even have to show my report card to my parents at the “special” high school I went to.

I did better in college than I did in high school. A-minus GPA versus about a B-minus average. Made the Dean’s List many times, but never made Honor Roll.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 8:53 am

It's none of a potentially-unaccepting parent's business if their child wants to transition and keep it from them. Contrary to popular belief, children are allowed to have secrets, especially ones that could endanger them if discovered, and educators' jobs are to keep their students safe (aside from educating, of course). This means that the worker and the child were in the right. The child should be respected and have their wishes respected, if they are within reason, which they are. Regardless of school-employed or personally-employed, workers like these must follow patient confidentiality, so it would have been dubiously legal for them to reveal this information to the parents anyway. In conclusion, if a student wishes that a secret be kept, schools must respect that wish if not doing so would put the student in danger. The jury finds the worker and student Not Guilty.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 8:55 am

here is an unbiased helpful video to show that it isn't insanity or whatever, it is scientifically proven. The sources are in the description (all actual studies) 'genital mutilation' as a term is a scare tactic. the actual surgeries very rarely go wrong and less than 1% of people who go through with it regret it. Hopefully you can change your view to something more accepting.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 8:59 am

There are many young children who might "feel" like the opposite gender one day, yet change their minds the next day. A boy might want to "play at" being a girl, or vice versa. Dress up in woman's clothes, stuff like that. I hope this is taken into consideration whenever thinking about re-assignment surgery for young children.

I wouldn't advocate re-assignment surgery for young children based upon a whim.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 9:06 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There are many young children who might "feel" like the opposite gender one day, yet change their minds the next day. A boy might want to "play at" being a girl, or vice versa. Dress up in woman's clothes, stuff like that. I hope this is taken into consideration whenever thinking about re-assignment surgery for young children.

I wouldn't advocate re-assignment surgery for young children based upon a whim.

It takes months and often years for psychiatrists/therapists to study the child specifically to determine that it is not a whim. Only after that are steps taken, and in most places, you must be over 16/18 to even consider sex reassignment surgery, and only then with your doctor's approval. No one in society is going around like Ed Gein just changing genitals against peoples' wills. Many people are woefully uninformed about this: NO ONE TRANSITIONS ON A WHIM. I must reiterate, licensed doctors study the child for months, usually years, before deciding if it is gender dysphoria and then deciding steps to be taken to relieve that. No one advocates for unwanted reassignment surgery for children. No reputable doctor would immediately prescribe puberty blockers the same day for a parent bringing in a child assigned male at birth who says they are a girl.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 9:11 am

^I agree with you. I don't feel doctors lack common sense.

Truly, I would feel bad if somebody was a biological female, yet felt like they are male, or nonbinary, all their lives.

Fortunately, there is much in clothing which is gender-neutral. And most interests are "gender-neutral."

I don't agree, say, when a male-looking person is called a "sissy" for being into "feminine" things.

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Feb 2023, 2:39 pm

The only time gender assigning surgery is done on a child in the USA is in infancy without the child’s input.

If a child has ambiguous genitals, some surgeons will perform “reconstructive” surgery at the parents request (some pediatricians suggest it) these children are often assigned female because that is a whole lot easier to do (artificial vaginas are not constructed at this time, only external appearance is “corrected” and sometimes testes are removed.)

There are cases when parents, doctors, and the individual agree and some surgery is begun in the late teens - usually breast reduction/removal. This is a surgery that is also sometimes performed on teens who identify as female for reasons unrelated to gender identity.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 2:44 pm

Transitions are voluntary and patients are well screened.

You wanna rant about genital mutilation then maybe it’s time you protest infant circumcisions.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 3:46 pm

Teachers can't influence their students to undergo surgery without parental/guardian consent.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 2:47 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I didn’t even have to show my report card to my parents at the “special” high school I went to.

I did better in college than I did in high school. A-minus GPA versus about a B-minus average. Made the Dean’s List many times, but never made Honor Roll.

Never been on Honor Roll, but got Superintendent's Scholar award at graduation. WTF? I know.